Phones forum

General discussion

Free Agent Status

by onbohio / October 4, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

Hi all,

Question- Is there a site where I can offer up my contact info so all the cell phone companies bother me with their sales pitches. Sounds crazy right?

Well I guess what I am looking for is a site for cell phone carriers like Lending Tree is for mortgage companies. My contract is up in November and I'd like to see the people who stand to profit from my choice make me some offers.

I am currently with Verizon which I like, but If AT&T were to offer me the latest and greatest smart phone for a great monthly price, I could live with not being able to get a call through in some places.

So if anyone knows of such a place please provide a link. If not, maybe one you entrepreneuring types could create one.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Free Agent Status
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Free Agent Status
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cellular service doesn't work like that
by Pepe7 / October 5, 2013 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Free Agent Status

The rates are only variable according to the level of service you are looking at obtaining, spare certain types of corporate discounts that take off a small percentage of the monthly service charge. They won't offer one person $30 for unlimited data and the next person $15. It's a very oligopolistic marketplace in that regard.

Post-paid might provide you with a better deal if you do not need massive buckets of data, and do not need features such as free mobile-to-any mobile calling.

Getting the better deal nn the handset (hardware) just takes a little digging, along with good timing.

Collapse -
Business' should have to fight for your dollar.
by onbohio / October 5, 2013 9:31 AM PDT

Only because they don't want it to work like that. They have renegotiated the price I pay per month more than once. I'll call them up and tell them I heard so and so is getting a better deal than I, and while they don't always match the price point, they always lower my payment. Don't let them fool you, ( unless you are "them") we have more power over the cell phone carriers than they would like. We just need to come together and form a consensus to challenge the status quo.
If nothing else this type of site would create much better deals on the actual phones themselves. They would have to offer better than the next guy if they want your business.

Collapse -
It's not the same product as a car
by Pepe7 / October 5, 2013 12:48 PM PDT

There are some limitations regarding cellular pricing, as in how much their established business model allows them to fluctuate for any single customer. OTOH, having a business with many lines or a family with several lines gives you some degree of buying power though. In the past I've had them throw in free 'anytime minutes', text messages, 2 mos. of 1000 minutes for the price of 700, etc. But as far as negotiating price for a specific offered plan (including data), they don't/can't budge much. It's not a new or used car where you can save thousands sometimes and they still get paid.

You can go ahead and raise everyone's expectations all you like, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Of course if you feel great making ten phone calls/being placed on hold for a half hour each time just to save three dollars, nobody's stopping you. After a certain point, time becomes more valuable than the tiny savings you might expect to receive.

Hint: switching to prepaid might work better as an option for many folks in this regard.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.