PC Applications forum

General discussion

Fragmented file overload! Please help!

by mcicki / June 9, 2009 2:42 AM PDT

Hello everyone, I have encountered a huge problem on my pc. I h ave windows XP. It's been slowly using memory. It's a 40 gig hard drive and I currently have 3 gigs! I have got rid of every program, picture, music.. you name it. I've deleted files, cleaned my registery, temp files, deletd old restore points you name and I've done it.

I downloaded a defragging utility (Auslogics Disk Defrag) and it couldn't defrag because I have too many fragmented files. Is there ANYTHING, any program you suggest that I download that could help my pc. I am at my wits end on this and could really use some help.
Thanks everyone so much!

Kind Regards,
Micki

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fragmented file overload! Please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fragmented file overload! Please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Find out where the space went...
by John.Wilkinson / June 9, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

1.) Download/run TreeSize (freeware) to determine what files are using up the space, then delete as needed.

2.) Your registry is under 1GB in size and a registry cleaner will save but a few MBs, if that, while risking the deletion of keys/entries that are needed for Windows and installed applications to run normally. Unless you review and fully understand what it is deleting, it is best avoided.

3.) Note that "memory" refers to RAM while "storage" refers to hard drive space. Interchanging the terms can lead to irrelevant search results and answers if you, and others, are not careful.

4.) Having too many fragmented files will not cause a defrag utility to fail, but not having enough free space to work with will. Track down and delete the files taking up the space and that problem should disappear.

John

Collapse -
(NT) Why not just add another HDD ???
by VAPCMD / June 9, 2009 11:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Another option
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 9, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

In previous versions of Windows I found that, if Defragmenting failed, I would have to run ChkDsk first, then re-run the defragmenter.

I haven't run into that problem yet with XP, but then I don't defrag that often.

ChkDsk, or Error Checking, is available on the same hard disk Properties window, eg in My Computer, right click the hard drive, select Properties, then the Tools tab, then Error-checking. The system should state that the error check will be performed the next time you boot up.

If that checks clean, I would then use XP's own defragmenter, before trying anything else.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.