Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Found website, waiting for reply.

by blaze.s8n / December 30, 2008 10:09 PM PST

Hi there. I am just wondering about a problem I've been getting for the past couple of weeks. Basically, every so often, I could be on the internet (Internet Explorer and Vista) and click to go to a link or another page or whatever, but nothing happens. Other than the icon in the tab just going round and round, and the green progress bar not filling up at all. So I refresh, nothing happens. So I close the program and re open, the home page doesn't load, and at the bottom says "Page found, waiting for reply". And I leave it for a while and still nothing happens. I have to turn my Laptop off (sometimes it won't shut down, so I have to just switch off, and reboot.

It has only done this for the last few weeks, and the internet IS connected as Windows Messenger still connects and works, and my mobile connects via the wireless connection. I have recently uninstalled MBAM and adaware and all the other malware scanner things people have told me to install. Now I only have Spybot, Zonealarm firewall, and Avast antivirus. Plus CCleaner and spyware blaster. But they were only added last week. I went on HiJack this, as I thought I had big problems with some adware things via on line scans like Housecall. But nothing else picked up on. They told be to download a lot of things. I'm not downloading anything else coz they don't really work in my opinion. But something has been altered or stops my computer's web browser running correctly.

Sorry for the essay!!! Oh dear. Any hints or ideas I could try, with out downloading the entire antispy ware scanner collection? lol.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found website, waiting for reply.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found website, waiting for reply.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well for example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2008 10:33 PM PST

There's a snow storm here, power goes out and some servers out there may not work. I am finding that many don't know about this.

Also, there are still exploit issues with IE. Did you try another browser?

Collapse -
by blaze.s8n / December 31, 2008 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Well for example.

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I know the weather can make connections bad. I don't think that is the cause, as the ISP connection is good. When the pages don't load up, the connection is still good as I can connect to the network via my mobile or the connection diagnostics show everything is ok. It's wierd. It's like the computer seems to become blocked or something.

I haven't tried another browser yet, as this has only happened in the last two/three weeks. It's been problem free for 6 months before that, it's got me stumped. I was considering trying firefox, as people say it's better than IE.

Cheers again for the reply.

Collapse -
The other storms.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Cheers.

Economic = Sites are vanishing.
Job changes = Sites are either vanishing or going away (example such as Castlecops.)

Since you didn't try another browser, another machine at say a free wifi hotspot you haven't done the basic research you need to do.

-> My point above is I'm encountering "users" that don't understand that web sites are going to come and go. Many thought these things were going to stick around forever.

Collapse -

Hi, im having the EXACT and i mean EXACT same problem as blaze.s8n,tried firefox,all the same doing my head in. Tried all the fixes i can find online,resetting winsock and yes.....all the recommended downlods to sort it out...

Anyone had any joy

Collapse -
Re: help
by Kees Bakker / January 6, 2009 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: help!!!

Things we would like to know:
- a few of such links that don't work with you)
- if it's your ISP (take your laptop to a WiFi point and try there)
- if it's your machine (try the same sites on another machine, like friends, family, work, school, public library)

Collapse -
by dalbro69-22714149511843041570542751867132 / January 6, 2009 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: Re: help

I have a small network xbox360,laptop wifi and hard wired desktop running vista home premium with all updates. Its the hard wired desktop that is having the problem nothing else. When this happens(EXACT as blaze) i have disconnected the ethernet cable and plugged it in my laptop and turned the wifi off, Works perfect,no problems so i know its not the network and down to my PC.I have Zonealarm firewall and did have avast until 5 mins ago now got antivir personnal. When the connection goes ......down my msn still works my anti virius still updates i just cant browse using i.e8(updated to beta version incase it was a fault with ie7)or firefox.Thats all web pages that are coming back with the problem. The laptop can still surf the web while my desktop isnt. As with blaze the computer sometimes freezes and i am unable to power down. I have also noticed that i cannot access any tabs on the browser...i.e page,safety,tools so i cant check to see if something has changed. Tried resetting i.e etc... still the same. Hoping that the fact ive changed avast may change it.....will let you all know.

Thanx for a quick response

Collapse -
Still problems
by blaze.s8n / January 9, 2009 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

Hey, I'm glad I'm not alone, but sad we have these problems. Been monitoring it, and it is very intermitent. I went on the net all day and didn't get a problem, the next day, withing 15 mins of being on line it did the no respose again. So, I have still got the problem, so I tried the laptop from another router at my mate's house earlier. It still happened. I have tried firefox as another browser, that worked really well, then as usual, nothing. My mate suggested using only one firewall, as I had Windows firewall running as well as Zone alarm. I'm nearly to the point of using my recovery disc and starting from I don't have much on this laptop...but I don't know, what if Vista isn't on it...That'd really screw me up, hahaha...

Collapse -
Call them and they'll fix it.
by UnderCnet / January 10, 2009 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: Still problems

Yes, I have had AT&T billing issues when moving and also when renewing DSL service. Of course, I called the Rep on both occasions, got explanations that didn't add up (literally, either a math error, or the rep was clueless) and was credited accordingly. I had the similar problems with Dish Network. I have had friends and relatives complain about Charter, ATT, and a host of other companies in the same regard.

For example, a few months before my DSL introductory period/rate was about to expire, I received an ATT letter offering to continue at the reduced rate ($19.99 for Express instead of $45 month). It stated specifically that no action was required and service will continue at the existing rate.

To my disturbance, I was billed an amount somewhere between $19.99 and the $45 monthly rate. Called ATT and was told that it had to do with accounting procedures/billing month and use of two different, corresponding service rates. I advised the Rep that I thought this explanation ridiculous since the renewal letter stated nothing about the rate continuing on a calendar month, billing month, lunar cycle, the winter solstice, or any other time and space dimensions. There was no fine print on the letter, dots, asterik, dashes, hieroglyphics, or anything indicating that I should be prepared to pay anything, but the $19.99 amount listed on the notice.

My own experiences and those I have heard from others causes me to query whether these are intentional practices or, just plain, bungled bureaucracy.

Collapse -
Seems to be sorted
by dalbro69-22714149511843041570542751867132 / January 10, 2009 3:24 AM PST

Seems to be sorted , not had the problem for nearly 3 days now. All ive done is change the avast anti virius. Now got Antivir on. The only slight.....qwirk ive got is that now if i download the item doesnt appear when its completed. All ive had to do is turn on Permission in the user account console. no problems with downloads now. Try it!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.