Windows Legacy OS

Question

found one or more antivirus programs

by pigeonflyer1 / September 30, 2012 9:55 PM PDT

message says found one or more virus programs at least one reports it is currently up to date.

I have deleted all references to any antivirus programs, except Security Essentials, which is running, from the registry and root as well as running Eusing but still get the message?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: found one or more antivirus programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: found one or more antivirus programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Then ignore it
by Jimmy Greystone / September 30, 2012 11:47 PM PDT

Then ignore it. If you're sure you only have one AV program running, and things seem fine, ignore that message.

Collapse -
Answer
Removing old versions of a/v & security programs
by mchainmchain / October 1, 2012 4:35 AM PDT

The only problem with having left-over remnants of a/v's is that the left-over files can impact proper operation of the new.

So, with that out of the way, : http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

That is probably why you got that message from MS Security Essentials. Check Add/Remove to be sure no other a/v's are listed, and then run the removal tool you need.

Collapse -
did it work
by pigeonflyer1 / October 1, 2012 11:32 PM PDT

I ran the cleaners (all that applied) still have the message. guess I will just ignore ir?

Collapse -
What's that?
by mchainmchain / October 2, 2012 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: did it work

IF you did run a registry cleaner to remove remnants of the old a/v's, that is not the proper way to remove.

The proper way is to use Add/Remove, and then use the links for SingularLabs. But, as you did not know about that beforehand, it may be too late. What is done is done.

Revo Uninstaller should never be used to uninstall an antivirus program, for example. Too many problems can result when used for this purpose. It is fine for all other programs except a/v and security solutions. A/V programs run drivers that are deeply embedded in the operating system, unlike other third-party programs an user may install. These drivers help to protect the system from malware damage and infection.

When removed improperly, it can/will cause system damage.

You have not yet posted to Carol's query about Eusing Registry Cleaner, so we need to know if you used it. Then we can answer your question much more directly, as that would/could have a direct bearing on the dialog box/notice you are seeing.

Registry cleaners can/will cause system damage so deep that the only recourse is a clean and fresh re-install of the operating system if the wrong entries recommended by that cleaner are removed/deleted. Changes made by a registry cleaner are permanent unless a registry backup is made just before the operation is done.

Some cleaners provide a way to backup the registry just for this purpose.

One way to undo the damage is to restore all the changes made by the registry cleaner and start over.

Collapse -
step taken
by pigeonflyer1 / October 2, 2012 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: What's that?

I originally removed all related programs through the control panel.
In addition i ran the Eusing reg cleaner, I (hand) deleted all reference to the programs in the reg and root files.

Then ran the individual program removal apps. provided on the Singular Labs site.

I have no problems other than I still get the message there is more than one antivirus?

The programs are Comodo, Mc Afee, Bitdefender and AVG. "I" cannot find any reference to any other program anywhere on my PC?

Collapse -
Another piece of advice..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 3, 2012 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: step taken

Another piece of advice you can choose to ignore - or not..

IF McAfee is the culprit..

I've had occasion to uninstall McAfee from quite a few machines. More often than not, I've had to run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR) more than once. On one system, I had to run it 3 times. And even at that, I still found remnants throughout the registry.

A lot depended on the version and the manner in which it was originally uninstalled. It can turn out to be an arduous task. Especially so, if a registry cleaner enters the picture. Only stating a fact.

Carol

Collapse -
Mc afee
by pigeonflyer1 / October 3, 2012 10:05 PM PDT

Thanks Carol will probably stay at this for a while is become the principal of the thing. SO you guys may see me post every now and the asking for the very great advice on the Forum.

Collapse -
Programs removed
by mchainmchain / October 3, 2012 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: step taken
Collapse -
comodo removal tool
by pigeonflyer1 / October 3, 2012 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Programs removed

Singular Labs has a community built removal that allows for removal of all Comodo products.

Collapse -
Programs removed
by BrandonKByrne / October 7, 2012 3:15 PM PDT

thanks for shairing such a nice information.can you please tell me something more.

Collapse -
somthing more
by pigeonflyer1 / October 7, 2012 10:28 PM PDT

not much to say I have implemented all suggestions on this board and i am still getting the same message.

Collapse -
Answer
IF "Eusing" is ... Eusing Registry Cleaner..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 1, 2012 10:44 AM PDT

• IF the Eusing you are referring to is Eusing Registry Cleaner.........

and is being used to clean prior A/V files, then I would suggest making use of the vendor's uninstall utility, instead. They are more reliable, and will do a thorough job.

• IF the Eusing you are referring to is Eusing Registry Cleaner.........

I would further suggest uninstalling Eusing Registry Cleaner. You will find the same recommendation throughout the forums. No doubt you will also see where it's said, "they create more problems than they fix".

• IF the Eusing you are referring to is NOT Eusing Registry Cleaner..

and is not a registry cleaner ...... forget the above!!

In an effort to help....

Carol

Collapse -
Answer
found one or more antivirus programs
by BrandonKByrne / October 5, 2012 3:48 PM PDT

to my point of view avg is the best antivirus what did you say about this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.