Computer Help

General discussion

Found new hardware not working

by Ted Allen / November 25, 2005 8:33 PM PST

Hi,

I just formatted my Daughters HD on her computer and trying to install a Netgear networking card.

After installing and rebooting the Found New Hardware utility is not working. I have tried different slots and the computer is not recognizing that it is there.

With this particular card the drivers are on a floppy and the only option to install drivers are after the Found New Hardware wizard finds it after reboot.

This is the first hardware I have tried to install after the format of HD. I will try something else and see if it is found.

Windows XP Pro-SP2

Thanks
Ted

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found new hardware not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found new hardware not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can go around it all
by TONI H / November 25, 2005 8:53 PM PST

Go to Add New Hardware in Control Panel, but tell it that YOU will search from a list for what you want to install. Then go through the list that appears and choose Networking Adapters....at the next window or so, you will see a location choice, so choose the Floppy Drive, insert the disk, and it should install...or you will get a window that says "have disk" for a button, so use that option and it should install that way when you choose the floppy drive as the source for the files.

TONI

Collapse -
Toni
by Ted Allen / November 25, 2005 9:31 PM PST

Thanks,

Tried that but still not finding the device. Doesn't find it to put it in the list. So maybe something is wrong with the card. But I just took it out of a machine that I had hooked up and working.

Also just plugged in a USB device and the Found New Hardware wizard started so I know that it is working.

Thanks
Ted

Collapse -
Did you try
by El Alquimista / November 25, 2005 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Toni

putting the card back in the machine it came out of? If it now doesn't work there, then it probably got zapped during the transfer. As winter approaches, static gets worse.

Frank

Collapse -
Device manager
by PlatinumPPC / November 27, 2005 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try

Is device manager picking up the device as other? If it's not it's not recognizing the card at all and the problem is not in your add new hardware wizard. Also i know this sounds stupid, but did you check and see if maybe windows didn't just install drivers for it, and it might be properly listed in device manager. Sorry, I have to ask these question no insult intended.

Collapse -
device manager
by Ted Allen / November 27, 2005 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Device manager

Yes, tried device manager. Not listed in there. Nowhere!

Haven't tried putting it back in the original machine. I have run out of time. Have to go out of town on a job so won't be back for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ted

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.