Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Found New Hardware / Access Denied

by stpetesean / June 2, 2004 1:18 AM PDT

I just did a clean install of Windows XP w/ SP1a and was in the process of re-installing all of my programs and drivers when it came to the printer it installed just fine except noe there is a window that pops up:
FOUND NEW HARDWARE WIZARD
Cannot install this hardware
Bla, Bla, Bla
Access is denied

My printer is installed and working fine but when I click Finish at the bottom (the only choice) the window pops right back up

I have tried to "repair" and "Upgrade" WinXP with no luck...
Any Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

BTW, The printer is an HP Photosmart 1115 and USB connection.

Caio,
StPeteSean

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Found New Hardware / Access Denied
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Found New Hardware / Access Denied
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is ''Permission'' granted for such a printer -- what ever it is?
by Cursorcowboy / June 2, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

If you add and set up a Plug-and-Play printer (for example, USB, IEEE 1394, LPT, or Infrared), you do not need to have administrative privileges. However, to add and set up a non-Plug-and-Play printer connected directly to your computer, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure. However, please read "You Are Prompted for Administrator Credentials When You Try to Install a Plug and Play Printer (Q326473)."

Collapse -
Re:Found New Hardware / Access Denied
by Cetin Denislam / June 2, 2004 3:00 AM PDT

Logon with Administrator account. Check out to have the Full Control permissions in the registry for HP software.

In other words, use the troubleshooting steps from the following page.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Found New Hardware / Access Denied
by stpetesean / June 2, 2004 5:07 AM PDT

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, !!!

That link helped so much. I apperciate your time in helping me resolve this issue.

Take care,
StPeteSean

Collapse -
Re:Re:Found New Hardware / Access Denied
by jccole / June 9, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply... this is not my problem, however. On Bootup, I receive a baloon message that a new printer has been found, taking me to the "wizard". Problem is that I have not installed nor connected a new printer. To trubleshoot this, I deleted my printer via Control Panel, reinstalled it but, alas, every time I reboot, I keep getting this "new hardware/new printer found". Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Found New Hardware / Access Denied
by Cetin Denislam / June 9, 2004 12:58 AM PDT

Check out the instructions from the following MSKB article:

Q298370 - "The New Hardware Wizard May Detect the Printer Device After Every Restart of the Computer"

Note

It was better to post under the original thread.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Found New Hardware / Access Denied
by chanfle98 / June 13, 2004 10:23 PM PDT

Hi, the solution provided in that link helped me solve a similar problem i had installing a sound blaster audigy 2, thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Found New Hardware / Access Denied
by natalia / June 14, 2004 8:44 PM PDT

Hi. I have Packard Bell computer/Epsom C42Plus printer. The very same messages regarding Found New Hard Wizard for printers and "Your printer may not work properly" have been bugging me for 15 months. I have tried finding the messages in my programme Startup directory, but can't. I gave up. The message is still with me today. Someone told me to go into the Registry and track it down for deletion, I am not sure I would recognise it and I am afraid to mess with the Registry. Suffering in silence. At least these pesky messages don't interfere with the workings of the computer.

Collapse -
Is this an answer or a question ?
by Cetin Denislam / June 15, 2004 12:28 AM PDT

If it's an answer, you can see that already two posters solved their problems.

If it's a question, post a message in a new thread. Give more details regarding your printer connection method. Examples: parallel or USB.

However, if it's a discussion (some name it input), just live with it.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by mp3artists / June 26, 2004 7:59 PM PDT

lets face it, almost every Win OS, gets flaky. I often have this balloon popping up, new installs or not. I just click in the balloon and it goes away. Just another annoying pop up Happy

Collapse -
by dramati / June 26, 2004 8:08 PM PDT

I had this same problem with my xp pro with HP printer, scanner, and coppier (all in one). In the end NOTHING helped. I had to replace this with Lexmark which is certified compatable with Windows XP.

There seems to be "issues" between HP and Microsoft and it may be that your printer is simply on Bill Gates "black list". Try installing a lexmark or cannon which has the little Windows logo of approval if you want top results.

Collapse -
Re: WINDOWS 2000 COMPATFound New Hardware / Access Denied
by thomasxstewart / July 2, 2004 2:12 AM PDT

LEXMARK CLAIMS TO BE WINDOWS XP COMPATIBLE, YET DO YOU SEE ALL THOSE "CONTINUE ANYWAY" SCREENS, THATS BECAUSE LEXMARK IS -=NOT=- WINDOWS XP COMPATIBLE, IT WAS MADE FOR WINDOWS 2000 & LEXMARK JUST "FORCES" XP TO LOAD UP LEXMARK SOFTWARE, WHICH THEN MAKES HORRIBLE MESS, QUIT OFTEN.LEXMARK TOO CHEAP TO PAY FOR XP SOFTWARE "LICENSES" IS BOTTOM LINE & CORRUPT ENOUGH TO FORCE THAT -=JUNK=- ON UNSUSPECTING PUBLIC. OH IT WORKS AT TIME, WELL NOT FAX IN IF YOU HAVE ANSWERING MACHINE, WELL WIZZARD HARRASSES YOU, WELL YOU NEED 5 BUILDS TO GET ONE TO WORK, ETC, ETC.SIGNED:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK MD.

Collapse -
Re: WINDOWS 2000 COMPATFound New Hardware / Access Denied
by mp3artists / July 2, 2004 5:37 AM PDT

I run a Lexmark with XP home I have no problems....(knock on wood) Happy

Collapse -
Re:REGISTURE YOUR PRINTER Found New Hardware / Access Denied
by thomasxstewart / July 2, 2004 1:44 AM PDT

YOU MAY HAVE SKIPPED PRINTER REGISTRATION & O/S GOES CRAZY IF YOU DO THAT OR YOU MAY HAVE TO "RELOAD" YOUR PRINTER SOFTWARE, DO IT SLOBBY, RIGHT OVER OTHER INSTALL, DON'T DISCONNECT USB CORD, DON'T DO ANY ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE TITLES AS SECONDARY INSTALL FROM PRINTER SOFTWARE, JUST JAM IT THRU. IT SHOULD LEARN TO SHUT UP AFTER BUNCH OF ATTEMPTS. OR JUST CLICK CANCEL UNTIL IT STABILIZES, THEN TRY ABOVE. YOU CAN ALWAYS START AGAIN WITH NEW INSTALL OF XP, OFTEN "GLITCHES" COMPOUND EXCENTRICIES OF SOFTWARE DEMANDS.SIGNED:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK MD....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.