Computer Help forum

General discussion

Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)

by Donna1600 / April 3, 2004 2:26 PM PST

Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)

I have a desktop with Windows ME and a laptop with XP. I use Hotmail as my main email account but also have an Outlook Express email. When I receive an email having a picture and try to forward, using "edit/copy/paste", the recepient receives only the text portion - no picture. It happens on both computers. If I try to just foward - the attachment notation (in blue) does not show up so the recepient cannot click on the attachment to get the email. It's been happening for about 3 months. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Posted by: Donna1600 Posted on: 04/02/2004 10:27 PM

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
''Something'' isn't clear -- 'ur speaking for the recipient?
by Cursorcowboy / April 3, 2004 11:54 PM PST

1. IMHO, EVERY user of OE should clear the box "Show preview pane" (View, Layout, Preview Pane) which then requires a receive e-mail be double-clicked to open. "Show all files" by placing a dot in the radio button (Explorer/My Computer -- View, Folder Options, View). If a check mark exist in the box "Hide file extension for known file types", remove it. Afterwards, click the box "Like Current Folder", click Apply, and then click OK.

2. The article [Q291387] describes the features in OE version 6 that is designed to protect you against viruses that may be transmitted through e-mail messages.

a. The IE Security zones enable you to choose whether active content, such as ActiveX Controls and scripts, can be run from inside OE HTML e-mail messages.

b. Configure OE to read all e-mail in plain text format even though some HTML e-mail may not appear correctly, but no active content is run.

c. If the default option is set for Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus however, you may not receive potentially valid attachments [Q329570].

3. Supplemental reading: "Troubleshooter: Sending and Receiving E-Mail Messages in ??."

Collapse -
Donna, Have You Checked....?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2004 5:33 AM PDT

...this setting in Outlook Express?

Open Outlook Express, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Options". When that loads, click on the "Send" tab at the top. When that loads, look to the "Mail Sending Format" section, then click on the "HTML settings" button. Make sure there is a CHECK mark in the "Send pictures with messages", then click on OK, Apply, OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)
by Donna1600 / April 4, 2004 6:14 AM PDT

Thank you both cursorcowboy and Grif Thomas. I believe this will help with Outlook Express, but still does not solve my problem with Hotmail; Hotmail being what I wanted as my primary email. Hotmail no longer has the ability to just forward any message with an attachment - the forwarded attachment will just not highlight and when the message is received by the recepient, there is nothing for them to click and bring up to view. As you know, the .jpg or .gif attachment usually shows up "blue" so that you can link up with it. That's not happening.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)

Try sending such a message from a different computer (any with an Internet connection will do) to yourself and view it on different computers.

This will reveal if there is a bug on your computer, or on the receivers, or that they changed something with hotmail itself. Hotmail is browser based, and any problems and irregularities are either caused by the program running with them (so outside your sphere of influence) or by problems inside your browser.

Tell the results of this little experiment.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)

Reply to Kees Bakker - yes, problem is on both my laptop running XP and desktop running Win Me. As matter of fact, had to have my hard drive reformatted on desktop just recently and still have same problem.

Collapse -
Still not clear to me ..

1. if the primary source of the problem is on the sending or the receiving side
2. if you've found a computer on which sending does work as you want
3. if you've found a computer on which receiving does work as you want (after step 2)

Kees

Collapse -
by command.com / April 4, 2004 9:58 PM PDT

I do not currently use hotmail, but I do use yahoo mail. I assume that they will both treat attachments in a similar manner.
There is a short answer and a long answer.

The short answer first.

If I receive an email in my yahoo account that has an imbedded picture (jpg/gif), I must first save the picture to my machine and then re-attach it to the forwarded message.

The long answer.

With html email, (like yahoo and hotmail), the email message itself is more or less a web page that is being displayed in/on another web page. The picture that is imbedded in the message is physically located on a server (hotmail/yahoo). The email message contains only a link to the picture. Your browser (Internet Explorer/Netscape ...) looks in the location described in this link and if it finds the picture, displays it. The location of the picture is probably a folder that is associated with your logon information at hotmail.

When you forward the email, the link is likely not included in the forwarded message. Adding the link would not help, since the location of the picture file is accessible only to your user account.

Saving the picture to your computer (desktop, etc.) and attaching it to the forwarded message will ensure that the picture arrives with the message. The recipients email setup will determine whether they see the picture as an imbedded picture or a file attachment that must be clicked on and opened separately.

Collapse -
by K9er / April 4, 2004 11:46 PM PDT

Donna,
What I do is to save the picture file to desktop and then do an email to whomever and put the picture file back into the email by clicking on it and dragging it back into the email.
B

Collapse -
Re:Re:Forwarding emails with picture attachments (.jpg and .gif)
by Donna1600 / April 5, 2004 5:34 AM PDT

Thanks to all

Collapse -
no pictures
by betty schultz / November 3, 2008 1:45 AM PST

when forwarding email no pictures show up. thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.