Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Forward email to fax machine

by imsodamnhappy / December 10, 2009 11:56 AM PST

Does anyone know of any kind of software where I would be able to automatically forward any email I get to a fax machine?

When I search for this I seem to find programs that will send faxes by email, but I am looking for something that will automatically send all new emails to a fax machine.

It seems like it could be done.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Forward email to fax machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Forward email to fax machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One problem with this . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 10, 2009 9:26 PM PST

A FAX machine needs a telephone line, and the sender needs a telephone line. Do you have a telephone line? Do you have a dial-up/FAX modem? Do you have a FAX program on the PC?

I'm going to write no because even if you have the above items, all FAX programs need for the document to be FAX formatted. Manually.

Collapse -
No
by jeff_windows_team / December 11, 2009 6:10 AM PST

I'm going to second that and say that it can't be done in the order you want. If you have a printer/fax machine, then you might be able to connect your computer to the fax machine and print emails.

Collapse -
question
by imsodamnhappy / December 13, 2009 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: No

My question is, since there are already programs out there that will allow you to send faxes by email, is there something that will look at all newly received email from outlook, and then automatically email it to a fax number?

Collapse -
fax service
by janneholt / August 9, 2010 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: question

Internet fax service will give you email and SMS notifications about your incoming faxes. Easy broadcasting of the fax documents can be done using your outlook contacts. As far as I know there is no specific application that will automatically email faxes to different fax number.

Collapse -
Re: automatic faxing
by Kees Bakker / August 10, 2010 8:11 PM PDT

If a fax program has a way of being accessed programmatically (via an API) or from a command prompt, it wouldn't be too difficult to write something in Outlook that monitors your inbox and calls that program.

The requirements:
a. A fax program that does that.
b. A programmer with the rigth experience (can be hired, of course).

Kees

Collapse -
Email to fax printer
by Lexy87 / August 11, 2010 10:06 AM PDT

Sure! This is just a mail rule and I've already got it working in MS Outlook.

When mail is from "xxxx@xxxx.com" and/or the subject contains "Fax from" forward to "myfaxnumber@metrofax.com"

So when I get email faxes from a specific site, and "Fax from" is in the subject, my mail program sends that email right back out to MetroHiSpeed's metrofax service (http://www.metrofax.com). The email is converted to a fax and sent to the fax number I forwarded it to. (If I wanted it faxed to 1-898-737-7722 I'd forward it to 18987377722@metrofax.com)

It's actually pretty quick too! Sometimes I see the fax printing before I see it in my email.

The catch is to make the rule smart so you're not wasting paper printing every fax(I get a lot of spam).

MetroFax costs money but there are free options like FaxZer0 that merely inject advertisements into the pages you send. So you'll be printing some junk, but you could even do it for free!

Check out http://www.faqsaboutfax.com/ if you want to compare the various fax offerings, the chart they have is really current and detailed. Wink

Collapse -
Internet Fax Service
by drew_hartson / August 15, 2010 7:24 PM PDT

When you are looking for a fax with call forwarding, voice mail and etc., internet fax service is your answer. You don't need to have a fax machine anymore with online faxing. Moreover, it is very cost-effective when you avail of this service.

Collapse -
Fax to Email System
by seanpulver / September 12, 2010 7:20 PM PDT

Nowadays, internet faxing is the most preferred faxing solutions by many business companies. It really helps a lot to save money and lessen the time to send and receive fax documents. Because it is Internet based, it gives convenience and greater efficiency.

Collapse -
Internet Fax Service
by seanpulver / September 15, 2010 2:03 PM PDT

Internet fax service is very popular nowadays. Many business companies are relying to online faxing because it provides a fast and accurate sending of fax documents.

Collapse -
fax review
by cliffgolt / September 20, 2010 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Internet Fax Service

In order to get started with internet fax service it requires internet connected PC, online fax number and provider of the service. Reading reviews about the different providers will give you the advantage to compare.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.