Storage forum

General discussion

Formatted new 250 gb hard drive, only 32 gb shows up

by mack2215 / August 27, 2006 5:57 AM PDT

I am not really sure what I did. I formatted a new hard drive that is suppose to be 250 gb, but all I can see is 31.4 gb. I can't even see the extra 220 unallocated gb with any programs. Any one know what's wrong?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Formatted new 250 gb hard drive, only 32 gb shows up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Formatted new 250 gb hard drive, only 32 gb shows up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info please
by linkit / August 27, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
i had this problem
by Kerbantez / August 30, 2006 4:21 PM PDT

i think you might have to upgrade your BIOS cuz when i got a new hard drive 160gb my BIOS could only read 32gbs so when i upgraded i had the extra 100plus gb i was looking for.

Collapse -
Have u checked bios?
by Noizxland / August 31, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

it often happens then there are some limitations on bios. u should unset them, or f u bios is quite old
uprgrade it.

Collapse -
Time to upgrade your BIOS (or PC...!!)
by skycatcher / August 31, 2006 8:38 PM PDT

My Viglen would only handle 40GB total so I couldn't even split my 80GB drive into two. I went here... http://www.unicore.com/ and ran their BIOS info program and ordered an upgrade - quite reasonably priced - they will issue you with a guarantee list of what the new BIOS will do for you.

I can now see 137GB but my PC is still too old to see any more. You may be able to see more of your new HDD but you may be looking at a PC upgrade before seeing all of it. Good luck.

Collapse -
A note on bios upgrades
by Merranvo / September 2, 2006 7:13 PM PDT

They should only be preformed in the utmost need... you see there is a chance that when you upgrade your bios that the flash transpher will be corrupt and if your bios does not have an backup copy of the original you are seriously screwed.

Collapse -
bios or windows?
by kawasachi / August 31, 2006 9:35 PM PDT

First go into your bios (press del to enter setup when your pc is starting up). See if the hard drive is detected correctly there. If it comes up as the right size then the problem is with windows. If it comes up as the wrong size update your bios by going to the motherboard manufacturers website.
If the problem is with windows firstly make sure you have windows updated, SP2 and all that (assuming you have xp). Then go to the hard drive manufacturers website and there should be a downloadable utility on there that allows windows to detect large hard disks (called big drive enabler or some such...)
Hope this helps
Tim

Collapse -
Formatted new 250gb hard drive,only got 32 gb shows up
by kd6rhd56 / September 1, 2006 1:14 AM PDT

This depends on which windows operating system you have. if 9x,either 95 or 98 you'll get 20gb,Me or 2000 is up to 32 gb, and XP home is up to 250gb. You may need to purchase Vcom Partition Commander(external program) to get use of the 250gb. When win XP formats a hard drive it sets aside a small portion for boot. Also if you don't tell winXP to format it all it won't.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Full size
by micker377 / September 1, 2006 6:12 AM PDT

Some hard drives come with a 32gig jumper to limit the drive for older computer. Check instruction sheet (or online) for proper jumper settings.

Collapse -
by kermit12 / September 1, 2006 8:56 AM PDT

Hi, First You need to know what Manufacture made the hard drive. You can try and go to the hard drives website and see if they have a small hard drive program that will automatically setup your hard drive for you to run on your system. Most of the hard drive companies have a program for this. Also check to make sure your System Bios is up to date. Many system Bios are not up to date, by the time you get the new pc up and running an update is already out. Hopefully your system is new enough to run large hard drives. If you submit more info as to the name of your hard drive, with model,the name of your PC (compaq 4300, IBM , ect.)name and model I can get you the info you need.

JMH
TRPost

Collapse -
by Dynochem / September 1, 2006 10:25 AM PDT

the prob is more than likely the 32 gig limit jumper on the back,will assume u have changed the jumpers and placed it in the wrong place that is all;
Common mistake to make on new SATA drives

Failing that do a full bios reset on your motherboard (check your manual how to short the jumper needed to do this)
Then check that when you format the HD you use NTFS format

Collapse -
return and exchange
by bjbj1279 / September 1, 2006 1:14 PM PDT

you can NOT format a HD larger than 160gb into more than 1 partition it will mess up the HD, you will need to take the drive back and exchange it. I had the same thing happen to me when I was helping my dad build a new computer LAST year and that was the only way to fix the problem.

Collapse -
Not True!
by linkit / September 1, 2006 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: return and exchange
Collapse -
Aaarrgh!
by linkit / September 1, 2006 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Not True!
''Formatting largr HD's into more than one partition is done all the time.''

It is much better to write that partitioning larger HD's into more than one partition is done all the time. The formatting, of course, comes after that. Blush
Collapse -
No
by Merranvo / September 2, 2006 7:10 PM PDT
In reply to: return and exchange

90% says that you messed up the partition and didn't know how to fix it. Partitions are mearly folder, yeah, folders on your hard drive, all you are doing is separating data.

Collapse -
re re:Formatted new 250 gb hard drive, only 32 gb shows up
by hphaerthe / September 4, 2006 11:12 AM PDT

If you cant see it, your computer cant find it because it might be too old but if it is not old , well............. you got rob.

Collapse -
by tangjk / September 16, 2006 9:45 PM PDT

i think it could be because u partition it and there may be a hidden partition whereby u cannot see

Collapse -
Solution for your problem
by c932408 / April 28, 2009 6:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Your reply was to a post from 2006. . . too late to be of
by VAPCMD / April 28, 2009 12:25 PM PDT

any help I'm afraid.

And according to your reference ..which is consistent with my experience, the limitation pertains to a jumper on the hard disk drive as indicated below...not the MB

2. Jumper Setting limiting Hard Drive Space

A minimal mistake of inserting the jumper into hard disk jumper block will result in limiting the hard disk capacity to 32GB if HDD is of higher capacity or 2.1GB otherwise. The first and last jumper block confusion will lead to such problem. The first placement will be for Master, and last for limiting, users confuse it and find their hard drives limited to 32 GB. Refer to this diagram which illustrates the jumper usage in hard drives.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.