Mac OS

General discussion

Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

by annief--2008 / January 19, 2011 3:33 AM PST

My computer was acting slow so I ran Tech Tool. It came up with various Volume errors but they were all fixed. I noticed that this computer was formatted as Mac OS Extended but NOT Journaled like the other two in our office. I was unable to add Journaling with either Disk Utility or Tech Tool. Both cases said that "Journaling failed" or "unable to add journaling". I believe I used to have journaling because I often use Onyx for repairing disk permissions and various other processes and this was the first time that I encountered the error "Not possible to verify the start-up volume because it is not journaled". I ran the Apple Hardware Check and the Hard drive is fine. So, after trying the previous mentioned utilities again to try and "journal", I decided to perform an Archive & Install. I am in the process of updating the OSX software, but I noticed the HD still says Format: Mac OS Extended...Hmmmm. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

PowerMac 2x2.66Dual-Core Intel Xeon
OSX 10.5.8
5Gb memory
232 GB hard drive with
External LaCie HD connected

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Journaled
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2011 4:58 AM PST

Doing an Archive and Install on the disk would have no effect on the way that it is formatted.

Probably the only way to get this back to Journaled, if it ever was in the first place, would be to format the disk and then reinstall the OS.

Without a superb backup, Time Machine or CCC, this is a project that you should not attempt. ALL your data will be destroyed during the re-formatting

P

Collapse -
yes-journaled
by annief--2008 / January 19, 2011 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Journaled

I believe that it was journaled because of what Onyx told me, mentioned above. That was my first experience with a hard drive that was not listed as journaled. I can re-install everything if this will speed up my computer. What do you think? I have all the original software and I recently purchased an Adobe CS5 Suite which I wouldn't mind putting on a completely clean computer. I just had to check with folks here to see if there was any other way around this. We have lots of photos, especially on this computer and jounaling should help, I would think, correct?

Collapse -
Sounds to me like
by Jimmy Greystone / January 19, 2011 9:27 AM PST

Sounds to me like a HDD on the way out. And as a quick aside, what is it with all the original Mac Pro questions lately?

Anyway... I'll try and combine some things from this post and your other one.

First off, journaling will NOT speed up your computer. If anything, it will slow it down a little. The reason you want it on, is because it adds a layer of fault tolerance to the filesystem, making it far more likely that it can recover from some error.

The fact that you cannot add journaling to the drive, and the fact that you have numerous volume issues, slow running system, suggests to me that the drive is on its way out. Sadly, AHT doesn't really do much more than test the SMART attributes on the drive. I repair Apple systems all day long, and the number of drives I've replaced because SMART says it's failing can probably be counted on one hand. I've long since lost track of how many failing drives I've replaced in general however. And half the drives that SMART says are failing, work just fine. I've even had some pass more extensive testing included in the big boy tools ACMTs get to play with.

The good news is, your system takes your standard 3.5" SATA drives, and it's VERY easy to replace in a Mac Pro. You just pull the tray out, undo some screws, swap drives, redo the screws, slide the tray back in. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

So, since the drive is at least in question, this could be a good excuse to upgrade. CS5 is likely going to want a sizable chunk of that 250GB drive you have. Not to mention the stuff you'll likely be working on with CS5.

The suspect drive could become a scratch disk for CS5 to use. That way, if it fails, it's just a bunch of temporary files that won't really be much of a loss. And as long as it keeps working, it'll help speed up CS5 a little, since it can store temp files on a different drive from the one it's installed on.

Otherwise, find some tool that can do checks for slow read/writes and even a full surface scan of the drive, and I bet it will tell you it's failing.

Collapse -
new hard drive
by annief--2008 / January 19, 2011 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: Sounds to me like

Yes, there is extreme slowing as I try to Erase & Install the OS software. The first time the HD didn't even show up so I shutdown and am trying again. I am pricing a new hard drive right now. I find this forum invaluable. Thank you for all your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.