Computer Help forum

General discussion

Forgot Password to Linksys Router And Need To Access Wifi

by mikefuk / July 29, 2009 1:21 AM PDT

Hi. My Vista desktop computer is connected to the secure wifi connection from my router, however I now want to add my new Vista laptop to that network via my wireless router. I have forgotten the password and connection details and have no idea how to find them. It is a Linksys Wireless G router; I have tried contacting my provider but this has not been of any use. Please can someone tell me how I can find my password and connection details to access my wireless router's secure network, or how I can go about resetting them to start again? I don't know how many digits my password is or if its WPA or WEP or anything like that. I really need to resolve this asap, thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Forgot Password to Linksys Router And Need To Access Wifi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Forgot Password to Linksys Router And Need To Access Wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Linksys
by special_ed1 / July 29, 2009 1:29 AM PDT

You should call the router manufacturer rather than your ISP; they should be able to talk you through the steps. Alternatively, you can restore your router to factory settings and set up a new network key (make sure you still have the router installation CD before you do this or download the driver setup from the Linksys site for your particular model first)

http://tiny.cc/p3TeT

Collapse -
key
by special_ed1 / July 29, 2009 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Linksys

By the way, the most commonly used network key is the users home phone number. I fixed my inlaws and bosses wireless ;problems by suggesting they tried that when they forgot their newtork key and couldn't connect anymore

Collapse -
Possible way forward
by simmo8403 / July 31, 2009 10:06 PM PDT

It depends on how you set up your router but the first thing I would try is connecting to the router by ethernet, typing http://192.168.1.1 into a browser and seeing if you can access the router configuration utility.

Username is normally admin, password is normally admin (unless you changed it) from here you can create a new network, or modify the old one then use the details on both machines.

WARNING - there is a slim chance that this will work - there is also a restore default settings reset button somewhere on the router so you can start again.

Google the model number of the router to see if a manual is available

Collapse -
Forgot Password to Linksys Router And Need To Access Wifi
by bilbo_the_leprekan / November 26, 2013 6:29 AM PST

1. click start on computer with wifi
2.search run on computer and open it
3.type cmd and open it
4.type ipconfig and hit enter
5. go down to default gateway
6.right click on the nummber accross from it
7. hit mark
8.highlight it and copy it then open up internet
9.just paste the numbers in as the URL
10. press on wirless setup
11.there is your password!
(i know this works on Windos XP.) I hope it works Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.