The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

For your main computer, what OS do you primarily use?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 30, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

For your main computer, what operating system do you primarily use?

-- Windows
-- Mac
-- Linux
-- Chrome
-- I use Windows and Mac
-- I use Mac and Linux
-- I use Windows and Linux
-- I use all four
-- Other (What is it?)

Place your votes here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2261.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For your main computer, what OS do you primarily use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For your main computer, what OS do you primarily use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 7
by wpgwpg / August 30, 2013 10:03 AM PDT

Windows 7 Pro on my desktop, Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop. Both are 64 bit versions.

Collapse -
For your main computer, what OS do you primarily use?
by joro32 / August 30, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

I guess thats why some own chevies and others fords but there is always someone that desires a caddy. They are all cars and will get you to where you want to go. Being an old codger I am addicted to my old XP Pro and not really looking forward to having to upgrade when it has to go to the bone yard.

Collapse -
Jesus Christ! Just my personal point of view. hehe Try it
by fujitsulover / August 30, 2013 1:26 PM PDT

Well, each has its plus and minus. If you choose PC desktop, you can heavily customize it because of the tower. In a PC tower, you can increase the graphics any time simply by inserting a graphics chip. Microsoft Office is very power for word processing in a PC. However, if you get viruses which is quite possible in a PC, you have to telephone activate it over the automated system.

Apple is more stable, but less fun. In all my life I do not remember getting any viruses on my MacBook Pro that I gave to my cousin. It is fast, responsive, and "business" quality.

If you are into fun, go with PC.

If you are old and serious, go with Mac/Apple.

As for operating systems, I personally think that if it is free, then it is not very good. This is just personal bias. It could very well be good, however, the developers do not have the incentives and materials to invest in the time. You know we all have to eat! hehe

Personally for me, I am an old timer. I still use Windows XP.

Collapse -
Linux
by linuxmint / August 30, 2013 6:14 PM PDT

I only use windows os when i log in to my stepfather's computer. I used Linux as my choice of OS since Windows 7 came out. Yes I know I get weirdos come after me for this. I get a lot of people try to convince me that Windows is DA BOMB and it is the best. I have less problems configuring the linux os than Windows. Oh did I mentioned that I saved monies on changing hard drives ever couple months? The way the file system is set up it has less wear and tear on a hard drive even I used the best western digital hitachi or even samsung!

Collapse -
Windows 7
by itsdigger / August 30, 2013 7:10 PM PDT

on my main computer. I leave it stock as it's a really expensive gaming laptop even though I never play games.I use it for all the household business. The desktop I change all the time. I may have Windows 7 or some cutting edge Linux distro or both. I keep trying to come up with a reason I need Windows on the desktop but I can't other than the fact that it came with Windows installed.

Collapse -
Win 7 Ultimate and Linux
by janesman2005 / August 30, 2013 9:28 PM PDT

I have Ubuntu 13.04 with Win 7 on my laptop, Linux Mint KDE with Win 7 on a desktop and Mint Cinnamon with Win 7 on my newer gaming desktop. Cinnamon is giving me a hard time to go though, I always have to jump through hoops to get it to connect to my router even though it see's it just fine with good signal strength and "no sound: through HDMI. Mint with KDE however is working perfectly. And I use all of them.

Collapse -
I need 'em both
by Iatros / August 30, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

I added an iMac 27 to my computer system 2 years ago, after having yet another hang up with Win 7 Pro. I bought it primarily to have a reliable workhorse with which to do email, some documents and spreadsheets, and picture cataloging and storage. It sits alongside the home brew PC that has lots of memory, storage, and speed, and runs Win 7 Pro x64.

Both machines have as much memory as I can afford...the iMac has 8 gb while the PC has 16 gb. The iMac has an Intel 7 x 4 core cpu while the PC has an AMD x 6 cpu. The PC came with NO software (my wife's HP laptop came with lots of crap ware), while the iMac came with with a full office suite with iTunes and iPhoto included.

After two years, here's what I have concluded: the iMac is far more reliable than the PC. Did I mention that one can only run Apple-approved software downloaded from the App Store to keep the iMac reliable? Did I mention that the iMac came with a reasonably powerful suite of office apps to do all that I needed. Don't be fooled: the iMac sometimes does hangup, but a reboot and reset generally takes care of it. It has lately developed a problem in which core temps (easily measured on the iMac) got excessively high, and I had to take the machine to a certified repair center where they found nothing wrong. But installing two apps to measure temps and set the fan controls manually solved the problem.

OTOH, I still need the PC. The flight simulators for models won't run on the mac well (yes, I know about VMWare and others), and some programs are just not well ported to the mac (one family tree program, one financial program).

If you buy an Apple laptop, you will have to accept that you cannot run certain programs unless the machine has a powerful processor and plenty of memory to allow windows to run as a VM. Yet the Apple software is more than adequate to meet most every 'office' need, and it is reliable.

If you learn to use some great open software such as Open Office and Thunderbird, your Mac experience will be enhanced.

As for me, I would get a well-outfitted Win 7 Pro laptop, and an iMac desktop. Seems to me, this is the best combo. If you can only get one, you will have to choose.

Collapse -
Interesting poll.....
by nbahn / August 31, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

Pity that it's not scientific.

Collapse -
Out with Windows - In with Linux
by Be-Ge / August 31, 2013 1:44 PM PDT

Up until recently I have been a Windows user. However the way Microsoft is trying to force me into using their latest fad of operating system got me looking for alternatives. Also the fact that as soon as a peripheral is too old by Microsoft standards the latest operating system won't have drivers or software for it anymore.
However there was light at the tunnel, since I found an excellent replacement in Linux Ubuntu 12.04 and at the moment I am learning the ropes of that OS and so far I must say the experience has been only positive.
I use a Dell XPS 14 laptop and a couple of Dell desktops, all with i7 processors and between 8 and 16 GB of RAM. The Ubuntu installation was easy as pie and all my peripherals; printers scanners etc. was identified, drivers installed and I could find software for them. Best of all, it was all FREE, just download and install. Yes, it did involve a bit of brain exercises, but that was just part of the learning curve. To help with the learning there are TONS of FREE information on Linux forums and even YouTube on the web, you just need to look.
As for me, I will remain an Ubuntu user and never again go back to Microsoft or Apple for Operating Systems or software.

Collapse -
Linux
by generic / September 1, 2013 1:36 AM PDT

I've been using Linux as my main OS since 2009. I've got Windows 7 on another partition for the few Windows-only games I still play (mainly Skyrim) and as a 'just in case' measure but I hardly ever boot into it, so I don't really consider myself as dual booting.

The lack of games was the main drawback for me, but it's been looking quite optimistic lately with the Humble Bundles and Valve/Steam supporting Linux. There's still a long way to go but it's far better than only a couple of years ago.

Collapse -
More productive, stability, ease of use, far better support
by Practical-Mac / September 2, 2013 2:26 AM PDT

I started on DOS 5.22 / Windows 3.1 first, but a year later I also started using Mac.

Decades of computer use later I know for a fact I get more done on a Mac then I do on Windows.
I have seen people struggle with technical issues on brand new PC notebooks while my years old Mac laptops still did presentations like a champ.

I am not 100% happy on Mac, but it is much better then on a Windows machine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.