Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Tip

For those with fuzzy, distorted, discolored text recently

by Steven Haninger / April 14, 2013 10:36 PM PDT

I began experiencing this intermittently after installing IE10 but found that reverting back to IE9 did not fix the problem. What you'll see on some web sites is text which appear to have problems with color convergence...that is letters may have multiple colors or appear fuzzy. The workaround is to disable hardware acceleration in browsers such as Firefox. You may need to do the equivalent in IE. This anomaly now appears to be related to

KB2670838

which does affect graphics. This update is optional but is automatically downloaded and performed with an update to IE10. Removing IE10 does not remove the platform upgrade that comes along with it but, if you remove KB2670838 by itself, IE10 is also removing leaving you back at IE9.

You'll see in the link that some AMD/Radeon cards are not compatible with the platform upgrade but I've found reports that other older Radeon cards are also affected. Mine is a HD4000 series and definitely is affected by the upgrade.

This Bugzilla report shows more about the issue and also has some examples

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695

but for those affected, the options appear to be either disable hardware acceleration, buy a new and compatible graphics card, or get rid of the platform update.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For those with fuzzy, distorted, discolored text recently
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For those with fuzzy, distorted, discolored text recently
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.