Speakeasy forum

For those that think the seniors

by JP Bill / November 10, 2012 11:29 AM PST

have to reprogram the young ones to get their priorities straight. (convert them from Democrats to Republicans)

World unites for education on Malala Day

Different ceremonies were held to honour the bravery of the child peace activist, glorifying her stance against extremism and for women's education.

A 17-year-old schoolboy presented a petition in support of Malala Yousafzai to the Pakistan High Commission on the global day of action for girls' education which saw the whole world uniting behind Malala.

Sunderland student David Crone, a UN and Plan UK Youth representative, handed in the documents which call for every child to have the right to go to school as part of a drive led by former prime minister Gordon Brown.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For those that think the seniors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For those that think the seniors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't find any party difference as far as
by Steven Haninger / November 10, 2012 5:55 PM PST

the importance of education. However, one party does seem to think that throwing money at it is all that's needed.

Collapse -
Just throwing money isn't a solution
by Roger NC / November 10, 2012 10:42 PM PST

I'll agree, but neither is gutting the system either. Repeatedly cutting aid so that less and less that can't afford it all on their parents is a return to a system that deliberately gives the privileged a head start.

I also agree with those that point out that trades should be taught, I have only a 2 year degree myself, but it's in a field that has done alright by me so far. Students getting aid should be expected to achieve and finish, not just drift along as long as they can milk the system also.

But it seems here anyway that the education system is carrying more than it's share of state cutbacks as the budget tightens.

Collapse -
The whole public educational system is in shambles
by Steven Haninger / November 11, 2012 1:38 AM PST

It's one of those budgeted items that doesn't show immediate benefit other than to employ people in it. I also see two groups of parents. One doesn't care a wit about their children. School is free baby sitting that just might accidentally provide an education. The other group cares about their children but doesn't think the public school system does them any justice. Funding comes from too many sources and, in many states, one of them is gambling money. I don't believe any publicly funded institution should be hooked on vice to sustain it. I do feel badly for those teachers who are dedicated and give their all for the kids in their classrooms. I've known some of these and they tend to complain about anything but money. I've known some who I think shouldn't be allowed in the classroom and who constantly harp about not being paid enough. I'd not throw a dime their way. For some reason, results based pay structures common in the private sector are a hot potato in the public sector. There seems to be no rush to change it.

Collapse -
Sad thing is I can't disagree much
by Roger NC / November 11, 2012 1:57 AM PST

there does seem to be little reward for good teachers or push to improve for poor teachers.

When parents did seem to care more about their child's work, thegood teachers at least had a little bit of respect. I suspect the parents are along a sliding scale between the extreme types of the two groups you cite.

Home schooling is way up, but as many cite safety as they do education quality it seems. Some just want to control everything their child is exposed to, good or bad.

Private schools are chosen for the same reasons often.

The prejudice motive for avoiding public schools since integration seems down, but still exists and probably always will in some degree. Very small and not very well equipped private schools certainly increased around here in the seventies integration and consolidation period.

Collapse -
and yet
by James Denison / November 11, 2012 2:03 AM PST

private schools and home schools turn out children who excel on state exams more than their public school counterparts. Maybe it's because they get the "cream of the crop", but maybe there's more to it than such an easy excuse.

Collapse -
At least two reasons they excel
by Steven Haninger / November 11, 2012 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: and yet

Parent involvement is #1. Parents who pay extra do so for a reason. Unfortunately, there's a downside in that some parents can become too involved. Secondly, private schools don't need to employ the trained staff required to take "special needs" children. I know that is changing in the catholic schools to some extent. It takes a lot more money to educate special needs children. Public schools are mandated to hire specialized teachers who develop IEPs (individualized education plans) for these kids. I can't have a problem with that.

Collapse -
I don't know the numbers but I expect you're right
by Roger NC / November 11, 2012 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: and yet

on that in broad terms.

Of course, no single parent working two jobs to pay the rent and buy groceries will homeschool, or pay for a private school.

To be candid, neither will the junkie parent, it's often not a good reason the parents aren't involved.

As pointed out, public schools have mandates ruled by the government private schools don't, some maybe not as obviously right as others.

Of course the fact public schools get state and federal money allocated by the number of students physically present pressures them to keep bodies in class. Then again, a private school probably isn't going to kick out anyone as long as their tuition is paid, at least not the small private 1 - 12 schools I'm thinking about, they need every dollar too.

I doubt it's that homeschool and private get the cream of the crop as much as they don't get the bodies that no one in the student life gives a rat's *** if they learn anything or not.

Collapse -
Cooking the books
by Steven Haninger / November 11, 2012 6:48 AM PST

We have a scandal brewing in Ohio where teachers and administrators have been pressured to falsify attendance records as well as administratively remove under-performing students in order to improve overall test scores. Somehow the low achievers remain assigned but are "virtually" transferred to some other facility. The whole thing has been unraveling this past Summer. I'm sure Ohio isn't the only place this could be happening so look for it on a much broader scale. The entire public school system is riddled with abuses as administrators try to meet standards that keeps the money rolling in.

Collapse -
another damn if you do or you don't
by Roger NC / November 11, 2012 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: Cooking the books

If you don't try to assign some score to a school and teachers, how can you know which are doing a better job?

If you test, everyone is going to teach to the test.

When base financing on attendance and performace, there will be efforts to maintain both apprerances by any means. If you just give the money without connections to something, it gets spent on way too much that does nothing to educate.

Collapse -
the question then becomes...
by James Denison / November 11, 2012 7:13 PM PST

...should those children be held back to the same level of the public school children to aid in "equality"?

Collapse -
some are more equal than others
by Roger NC / November 12, 2012 11:07 AM PST

The priliviged have never been subjected to the constraints of the masses have they?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.