HP forum

Question

For HP Folio 13, can a SD card be used to increase memory?

by hotpinkbaby123 / July 4, 2012 3:00 AM PDT

I was looking at ultrabooks for college and I seem to really like the HP Folio. The battery life, speed and lightness is what really got my attention. I would have gotten the macbook but I don't want to make my parents spend that much money. The only thing that worries me is the 128 GB SSD. I am not a gamer or anything. I want to just use it for college, typing essays, internet use and music downloads which I always delete after uploading the files to my phone. I am not very tech savy, so I don't really know if a 128 GB SSD will last me 4 years of college. I know that this ultrabook has a SD card reader, and so I wanted to know if buying a 32GB SD card would be able to increase the memory. Any suggestions or comments would be very helpful.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For HP Folio 13, can a SD card be used to increase memory?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For HP Folio 13, can a SD card be used to increase memory?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2012 3:03 AM PDT

When we talk memory we are usually referring to the RAM connected to the CPU. So the answer is no.

But if you are talking about files on hard disks then sure, you can put files on the 32GB memory card and use that.

However, just like all hard drives, you always keep a few backup copies.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by hotpinkbaby123 / July 5, 2012 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

4GB of RAM should be enough for me. And yes I was talking about the hard disks. Here is a link of the laptop: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-folio-13/4505-3121_7-35096620.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r
Do you think that it should be enough to last me 4 years? Also I know that this laptop has a memory card reader, but is that only for transferring files like pictures, or can it also left inside to be used like an additional flash dive?Sorry I know that question is stupid, but I really just want to make sure I am getting a good computer.

Or do you think that the Lenovo Idea Pad would do better?
http://www.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-u310-summer/4505-3121_7-35332352.html?tag=FD.rvw

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob!

No laptop I've seen lasts 4 years unless you allow for a trip or two to the repair center.

As to the memory card reader. Yes it's just like another drive. You can use it like you want but the warnings are still there. If you don't have backup copies then you agree you are OK if the files go missing.

As to the other laptop, you are asking for a prediction. My prediction would be the same for that model.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes the Folio 13 is awesome and you should buy it!
by ThrowawayYaccount / October 25, 2013 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob!

Just thought I'd chime in here - by now you probably already made your decision but since I just bought a Folio 13 last week I thought I'd offer my opinion. I got an i3 model as a refurb in 10/2013 for $332 shipped from buy.com. I love love love it so far. Nice backlit keyboard, USB 2.0 AND 3.0 ports, SD card slot for additional storage, small form factor, light, decent sound. What's not to love. Enjoy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.