TVs & Home Theaters forum

For good picture quality(HDMI or VGA?)

by rakesh_39 / March 24, 2013 5:05 PM PDT

I am a movie freak, recently i bought a dell 26' LED monitor(model : 2420l) for a HD quality video's and creative 5.1 speakers. I have a motherboard(not sure of the model number) which the guy from the shop told me that its by default supports 5.1(soud), sound seems to be pretty ok. But regarding the picture quality, since I am using the VGA cable, picture quality is not upto the mark. The guy from the shop told me that I should be using a graphics card with HDMI connector(for 1080p quality).
Please advice me, if I use a graphics card with HDMI connector,, will I be able to get a good picture quality?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: For good picture quality(HDMI or VGA?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: For good picture quality(HDMI or VGA?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
SD and HD boundaries
by mjd420nova / March 25, 2013 12:34 AM PDT

VGA and XGA are supposed to handle 720 p but many factors place limits on the ability to display 720 effectively. HDMI was developed specifically for HD, or 720 and up, 1080 being the goal. HDMI has now become the digital stndard interface. VGA is analog and 720p is a bit of a reach. A video card or even an external unit with the HDMI would be the PC approach, but the monitor may not have that interface. Once that conversion from analog to digital is done on the pc, then any unit with an HDMI port will work as a display. What inputs does the monitor have?? some come with DVI and that could be converted to HDMI. Many options available.

Collapse -
Dell ST 2420
by rakesh_39 / March 25, 2013 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: SD and HD boundaries

thanks for your reply, I mentioned the model number of my monitor...Its a dell LED monitor which has a VGA,DVI and HDMI inputs...As I understand from your answer is that I would be needing a graphics card (with HDMI output) for 1080p that right? If yes, please mention which graphics card is best ?

Collapse -
I've seen it go either way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 2:07 AM PDT

Today's VGA cards can do 1080p without much ado over a good VGA cable. I've seen both cables "win" so it appears that this is a horse race question. That is, both can win or lose.

However if you ever try to play a BluRay disc you immediately discover they mandate HDMI.

It's a shame you didn't tell more. Maybe you just need to set the video card to match the new monitor?

Collapse -
Digital works best for me
by Zouch / March 29, 2013 7:43 PM PDT

Hi Rakesh,
it sounds like your computer might be a bit older than your monitor and may not have digital video out (DVI or HDMI) on your graphics card (I'm assuming you are using a separate graphics card and not an on board motherboard chip). I had a similar situation, got a new large screen LCD monitor to replace my big CRT when it died. The VGA connection was OK but not outstanding, the colours seemed a bit "thin" and my PC didn't have a digital output. So I got a new graphics card with DVI output, since that's what the new monitor had (I got an AMD Radeon but that may or may not be the best bet for you). I couldn't believe the difference it made, crisp sharp well saturated colours, just great.

So, I'd always choose a digital connection over an analogue one on an LCD/LED monitor. And since your monitor has an HDMI connection, I'd go native HDMI (mine didn't but DVI is a close second best).

As Bob says, VDA cards have improved quite a lot recently but I'm guessing yours isn't the latest and greatest. So if you need to get a new graphics card, I'd go for HDMI.

Cards type? Horses for courses. I like AMD Radeon (historically!) because they do seem to be on the technological leading edge; nVidia seem to be a little behind. But, as mentioned in another posting this week, nVidia drivers are rock solid, whereas AMD drivers can be a little "exciting" if you know what I mean!

Good choice of monitor, by the way, I'm very impressed with the Dell Hi-Res models, their computers, not so much.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Better Luck with DVI
by Flatworm / March 29, 2013 9:56 PM PDT

I have much better luck getting a sharp, easily controllable picture when my monitor, a 29" ViewSonic, is connected via DVI than when I connect it via HDMI.

VGA, for all intents and purposes, is now obsolete, sort of like a parallel printer connection.

Collapse -
by lee_wutzke / January 3, 2014 8:15 AM PST

Since hdmi came out I have been expecting it to be better than VGA because VGA is analogue and hdmi is digital. For me the most important thing is how well the text rendered on our display's.

I'm setting up my wife's computer. We both have ACER 32" monitors with 720p hdmi connections and VGA connections. They are 7 year old LCD monitors. We have two HP towers. One is this new windows 8.1 that I'm setting up now and one is my old 7 year old Vista. I also have a windows 7 HP laptop with a VGA and hdmi out. Vista has invida pure video with DVI and hdmi out. This windows 8.1 has Radeon with DVI and hdmi out. I have spent countless hours over the past several years trying to get these 3 computers to produce quality text over an hdmi cable. I understand that they should because hdmi is digital but they just do not and can not.

On the two towers I have the VGA adapter connected to the DVI out and the text is just remarkable on both towers. Just like printed text. When I go to other peoples house and look at the text on their screens I can immediately see that they are using hdmi because of the poor quality text. I was hoping that this problem would be fixed by now, It's 2014 already.

I also have a MacBook Air. The Text on the MacBook air is good on the laptop but when I connect it to my monitor with hdmi it can't compare to the text on my towers VGA. My monitors are exactly the the same. People don't know what I'm talking about until I set them up side by side and show them the difference. The usual response is "wow" , "what a difference". Even my windows 7 laptop, the VGA out text is so far superior to the hdmi out text that it is not even comparable. I understand that this is hard to believe and should not even be true, but it is.

If you want to test this do it with two computers and monitors that are exactly the same side by side. One DVI with VGA adapter and one with hdmi. You will be amazed how much better the text is on VGA.

If you do a lot of reading, like I do, you will want to stick to VGA for now until the operating systems figure out how to display text properly over hdmi.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.