Computer Help forum

General discussion

Footage recorded with dvd recorder looks blurred on PC

by yurecia / March 25, 2008 2:37 AM PDT

Well, so I went ahead and got a dvd recorder to record some game scenes. The playback quality on the dvd recorder looks good and crisp, but when I play it on my PC the video has a blurred effect to's causing this effect? My video is supposed to be quite sharp...DD=

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Footage recorded with dvd recorder looks blurred on PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Footage recorded with dvd recorder looks blurred on PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How Are You Playing It On the PC??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 2:52 AM PDT

You mentioned that it's a "DVD Recorder".. Does the recorder copy the moveie/picture to a DVD disc on the recorder? Or does it save the movie/picture as some other type of file? Are you playing it through a video cable connected to the computer? Did you copy the video file directly over to the PC play it using a media player on the PC? Did you covert it to a DVD using burning software?

If the picture from the recorder is actually on a DVD disc and transfered to the computer, remember the viewing screen on a recorder is a 3 inch square.. The computer has a 19" or larger square screen.. It requires a lot of megapixels to make a 17, 19, or 22 inch picture perfectly clear..

What kind of PC? Windows 98?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
It records straight to the DVD R disc I have inside...
by yurecia / March 25, 2008 3:34 AM PDT

so the files are the standard VOB files...and I didn't rip it to my PC. I just copied it=P Save all the I get errors trying to rips the VOB files outo_O;; Weird. the monitor needs more pixels? So how do I record at a...bigger size?xD I see no option for that on my DVD recorder...

Umm...I'm using Windows XP SP2.=]

Collapse -
It's Not The Monitor That Needs More Pixels...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

..the quality of the DVD output and recording needs to be better.. If you're recording from the RCA cables, then much is dependent on the quality of the DVD recording software and the ability of the video camera to make high quality video.. There are usually options on the camera to record at various quality settings. Using the highest setting will allow it to take better quality movies..

In addition, many types of DVD conversion software just don't do a great job of converting to DVD. (As an example, I recently used a similar video camera to record some music performances of my daughter. AFter finishing, I tried three different ways to burn a hard copy of the recording.. One was plugged into a computer where computer DVD software converted the signal to a DVD.. A second was done using RCA jacks directly to a television DVD recorder.. And a third used the same RCA jacks and the companion television VHS recorder.. I'm guessing because there was less conversion necessary, the VHS recording was of better viewing quality on a television screen..) Try checking for different quality settings as well on the DVD recorder.. Most TV recorders can make high quality recordings of 1 hour per DVD or poor quality recordings at 6 hours per disc. The same goes for computer DVD conversion software. In addition, some software does a better job than others.. You may need to try different software if you're copying to a computer.

And still, it's important to remember, the picture that looks good on a 3 inch camera screen won't look as good on a large TV or monitor

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Okay, help me out a bit more on this...
by yurecia / March 25, 2008 7:02 PM PDT

So it all comes down to the DVD conversion software in my DVD recorder? It doesn't have any space in there to record to, so I have to have it burn to a DVD RW. Though that would mean it would have to convert it to a DVD format right? And if the software doing the conversion is bad...I get a bad quality? But one thing is strange...if the conversion is bad, I should see some drop in quality on the TV when I play it back from the DVD RW it just burnt ( I'm judging the quality based on the TV since the footage is shown on TV while the DVD recorder was recording ).

The quality is set to max. But there's no option where I can set the size of the 720X480...320 by whatever...
SO basically it seems to have recorded fine based on the TV...I see the original footage on TV and compared to the playback version, it's good.

Only problem now is when put the DVD RW into my DVD player on my PC, it shows up blurred...And I'm not blowing it up to full screen. I'm just watching it at the size it opens up at. So what causes the blur that I don't see on my TV? I'm sorry if I repeating myself or I'm making you repeat yourself because I don't catch the concept. I really have no knowledge in this area...

Collapse -
Wait A Minute Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 12:47 AM PDT

Are you saying? You can transfer the data from the camera through the computer software to a DVD-RW and it looks fine when you play the DVD on a on a TV screen using your TV's video player? Your only problem is that when playing it on the computer screen it looks blurry? This is the FIRST TIME you mentioned this information...

If that's the case, then your problem has nothing to do with the conversion software.. The conversion software appears like it's doing the job fine because it plays correctly on the TV.. Unfortunately, the DVD player on your computer isn't working correctly.. What player are you using to view the DVD video?

AS Bob stated below, have you tried a different player like the free VLC Player at the link below?:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
AH wait, there's no camera involved xD
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait A Minute Here...

I hooked up the PS 2's RCA cables to the input ports of the DVD recorder...and then it records on to a DVD RW...and it plays back fine...on the TV that is...

When I copy out the VOB files from the DVD RW into my PC, or just play it straight even, I get a blurry image...I'm using windows media player classic to view the DVD...omg...if it's playing the DVD wrongly...what about virtualdub? It looks blurry there tooDD=

Collapse -
There is a reason to try VLC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 1:45 AM PDT

And to move the nose back from the display. But I'll wait.

Collapse -
Yes, yes, I shall try...
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 1:50 AM PDT

and then I will start asking more questions laterxD

Collapse -
Oh noes...
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 2:08 AM PDT

It's still the same in VLC player...DD= What's the problem now? My settings when I recorded the video?

Collapse -
Then it's just a bum recording.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh noes...

Try other recorders.

Collapse -
;__; There goes the money....
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 2:32 AM PDT

but thank you so much for the help.=]

Collapse -
It might not be that much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 2:36 AM PDT

I've found those USB ADAPTEC GAME recorders for as little as 10 bucks.

Collapse -
You mean if I order online?
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 2:42 AM PDT

Of which I don't know how...and I've tried looking around the other time before I bought this recorder. SO far the very popular hardware/computer shops here don't sell anything like the way, isn't USB not a good idea since it will lag the PC while recording?

Collapse -
Why is lag an issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

You just want to record the PS2. Why change what you play the game on?

Collapse -
Because my TV is miles away from my PC DD=
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Why is lag an issue?

So playing it on the TV while the PC records is quite impossible...I would never find a wire that long.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 4:53 AM PDT

Is USB 2.0 and many thought it did the trick.

Collapse -
Are you implying it doesn't need wires?
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 5:11 AM PDT

The USB 2 would only be useful if I don't want to open up my computer...and uh, if I don't play on my TV, then I would have to use my monitor, and that means lag, no? Since it's USB after all...

Collapse -
You may have to consider.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 5:19 AM PDT

Reality. Step back and reassess what you are trying to do, your budget and then ask advice.

-> I've done this and it works. Dismiss the 10 buck solution but it's one that my buddies thanked me a few times about.

Collapse -
Okay, if I can find it that is=]
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Why is lag an issue?

10 bucks is cheap for a solution, but if no one sells it I have to get a TV card...and if I do get one I want to know what's the best it can record at. So I'll ask you! =D What's the biggest size your TV card allowed you to record at? And what model is it?

Collapse -
NTSC is very limited.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2008 5:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
There's an option to change the size still...
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 6:50 PM PDT
In reply to: NTSC is very limited.

like some want to record at 320X240...does a TV card allow you to record at 1280X720 for example? I know the resolution would still be at 480p.

Thanks for the links. It's out of stock at geeks for some time already, and the adaptec website doesn't have a "buy" option.xD If I do see it being sold while I go shopping I shall grab it though.

Collapse -
I just can't grasp this whole discussion here.
by ahtoi / March 26, 2008 10:08 AM PDT

My thinking is if the recording is good then the problem must lies with the computer. To eliminate the dvd disc problem, have you tried a commercial movie dvd? How does it look. If it looks good then there is something about the recorded dvd that we don't understand.

Collapse -
Yea, the commercial one looks good
by yurecia / March 26, 2008 6:52 PM PDT

So it's my recorder I don't understand...but I don't know what about the settings is causing this whole mess...Do you know?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.