Desktops

General discussion

Fool's Question: Do LCD Monitors NEED Screen Saver???

by tobeach / May 14, 2007 7:14 PM PDT

Are screen savers needed to prevent damage (burning image or?) such as necessary for CRTs?? Thanks for your thoughts! Confused ;D

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fool's Question: Do LCD Monitors NEED Screen Saver???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fool's Question: Do LCD Monitors NEED Screen Saver???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It doesn't seem so.
by Kees Bakker / May 14, 2007 7:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, Kees! Nice to Hear From You! :D
by tobeach / May 15, 2007 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: It doesn't seem so.
Collapse -
Today? Yes. But not the screen is be saved but the CCFLs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

Not the screen saver we used before but to power down the CCFL tubes and save their lifespan. These lamps dim in just a few years so you can extend this by using the power save feature and thus extend the screen's (the CCFLs) life.

CCFL life time is determined as the time at which brightness of lamp is 50%. But we'll start to complain at a time well before this 50% happens at 30 to 50 thousand hours.

http://www.wellypower.com.tw/english/qa_2.php?function_page=e has a nice graph showing this curve. And that's for long life bulbs. We are already hearing complaints about this as people compare their 2 year old laptop to a new one.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the Info, Bob! Just What I Was After....
by tobeach / May 15, 2007 2:44 PM PDT

I thought interesting to note (on graph) how then die off progressed from highest to lowest MA. I suppose that just hitting the "power" button on the monitor would suffice to extend lamp life.
Thanks Again! Grin

Collapse -
Yes, that works. So does...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2007 8:53 PM PDT

The power save feature in Windows (all versions I've tried.) The monitor powered off the lights on schedule.

Bob

Collapse -
It'd be nice if they invented
by william551 / May 18, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

some wireless device like the keyboard and mouse that sensed when a fella sat down in his chair and when he was out of it, and timed out to turn off the LCD. The difference between that and a screen saver being that whenever someone sits down in the chair the monitor turns on.

Collapse -
I imagine it'd just be a
by william551 / May 18, 2007 4:25 AM PDT

another device on the USB wireless that hooks up the mouse and keyboard. With a slight behavior difference in the programming, or maybe not. Maybe it'd act just like a mouse. Move the mouse? The monitor turns on. Sit in the chair? The monitor turns on. Of course, the installation would likely disable the screen saver and make it a power saver instead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.