Computer Help

General discussion

following plug-in has crashed: shockwave flash

by mickeykollins / March 8, 2011 10:01 AM PST

so my computer keeps taking a really long time to load some pages on the internet. Even logging in to my email on yahoo can take forever when using Chrome, only for the page to finally say "following plug-in has crashed: shockwave flash'. Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem? I use Vista

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: following plug-in has crashed: shockwave flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: following plug-in has crashed: shockwave flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See this recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2011 10:13 AM PST
Collapse -
shockwave crashed
by Lindalou4b / March 11, 2011 9:58 AM PST

I am getting this error when I try to click on any of my games to play....it wont let the game open...HELP PLS!!! how do I fix this

Collapse -
Did you try reading that recent discussion and changing that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2011 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: shockwave crashed

?

Collapse -
turning off setting
by foxfairy101 / February 11, 2012 8:06 AM PST

I have the same problem with mine... how do I turn off the setting for it. It really crashes with Zynga games on facebook.

Collapse -
Good or not. Did you read the linked discussion HOW TO?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2012 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: turning off setting
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5095653.html?tag=posts;msg5095653
Collapse -
read the linked discussion..
by foxfairy101 / February 12, 2012 5:44 AM PST

Yes I went to the Adobe site to test it but there was no test... It just told me what I had for the Google Chrome browser... I checked my computer's and it listed an older version. I tried to update it but recieved the message "Google Chrome has the latest edition" and that I didn't need to update it. I went to the plug-in on Chrome and it said to update the shockwave..... I did it but still have problems with Zynga games freezing up.

Collapse -
You didn't tell if you changed that setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2012 6:53 AM PST

It appears you can't follow the directions so let's go with...

Take it to your friend and ask them to do this for you.

Chrome required more work than other browsers to turn that off so my suggestion is to use the other browsers for now.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob
by foxfairy101 / February 13, 2012 8:14 AM PST
You are a jerk! thanks for making me feel like a dork. So much for being helpful.
Collapse -
Help others help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: Bob

I read your replies and it never seems you made the change.

YOU are OK. It's the software makers that should be flamed here. Why didn't Adobe detect this issue instead of creating more angst for you?

My advice is not intended to make you feel bad. Why should folk today have to deal with such things?
Bob

Collapse -
same problem
by sibermike7 / March 14, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

I read the thread: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-519707.html
When I went to the Adobe site, my flash passed the test even though my browser (Chrome) said that the plug-in had crashed. I found the settings and unchecked the hardware acceleration. However, using the internet is very bad because the pages often don't refresh, etc.

Online email is non-functional.
I have an Acer laptop i5 chip 2.27Ghz with Windows 7.

Help would be appreciated!
thanks
mike

Collapse -
Too little to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Sorry but the symptoms sound like overlapping or conflicting protection software. While this has been discussed, I can't find details to begin a discussion on this Acer.
Bob

PS. Example conflict resolution at http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-510824.html

Collapse -
And You're Tried...???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

1. Updating the video driver for your computer's video card? (Updating ALL drivers would be even better.)

2. Scanning for malware with BOTH of the free tools below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

3. Disabling all add-ons/toolbars on your browser?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.