Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Folders not updating date when files change

by Jymn / September 10, 2010 5:29 AM PDT

This began happening out the blue. In Details mode, folders do not update the date when files contained within are added or modified. It used to update fine. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Folders not updating date when files change
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Folders not updating date when files change
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is one of those things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2010 11:43 PM PDT

I've never found Windows (all versions) to be consistent about this. I can't find any specification that tells us that the folder date should change if a file changes in that folder.

In fact it would be a bad idea from a reliability standpoint to change that entry with each file change. And add to the overhead and reduce the speed of the file system.

Have you found a MSDN or Microsoft document that says it should do this?

Collapse -
With XP and Vista, folders would update fine
by Jymn / September 11, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. With Vista and XP, when I downloaded files to a specific folder, that folder's date would update to the time and date of the download completion. I use Details so I would just click on the Modified Date column of the folders and retrieve the downloaded files from the folders with the download date.

With 7, the folders do not change the date. This is a nuisance because now I have to keep track of every download folder destination or if I haven't, I have to go through all the folders or search to find the updated folder.

I have read no documentation on this, but my years of experience downloading files to different folders is evidence that the folder dates indeed updated previously whenever changes or additions occurred to the files in the folder.

Collapse -
Observed versus documented behaviors. ALSO WHICH DATE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2010 4:40 AM PDT

I have used Windows since 1.0 (or it used me?)

This area is not a documented behavior but one you observed. I'm not only a Windows programmer but write software for embedded systems and can see where such a directory update could slow the file system as well as be a way to corrupt the tables.

I don't see any setting to change this and if you called it in without some supporting documentation (looked at the MSDN docs!) you shouldn't get far.

Now WHICH DATE are you showing? We have CREATION DATE, MODIFIED DATE so which is it? See

Maybe that's it?

Collapse -
Thanks for solving mystery for me
by Jymn / September 11, 2010 4:49 AM PDT

Thank you for your diligence. I'm an idiot. I've been using the Date column. Date modified still updates fine. Will not be using Date any longer. Thanks again.

Collapse -
We don't use those words here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2010 5:01 AM PDT

If you didn't ask, we would not have explored all the possible issues and display settings.

Even I had to think a moment to remember the THREE dates on files and folders. We have three dates where are last modified date, creation date, and last accessed date.

Glad it is fixed!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.