Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Folder looks empty - but it's not!

by rafaelcapanema / August 18, 2004 4:39 PM PDT

Here is the deal: I've got a folder on my computer with ALL the pictures I've taken with my digital camera. It's on C:\Rafael\Multim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Folder looks empty - but it's not!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Folder looks empty - but it's not!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Folder looks empty - but it's not!
by Papa Echo / August 18, 2004 8:27 PM PDT

Use Start>Search to sesarch for each of the folders in the path C:\Rafael\Multim

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / August 18, 2004 9:24 PM PDT

1. Check if the hidden option is set.

From windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, click OK.

2. Open a cmd prompt (click Start, Run type cmd and press Enter).

Type the following commands and press Enter after each:

cd "C:\Rafael\Multim

Collapse -
by rafaelcapanema / August 19, 2004 2:00 AM PDT

Thanks for your help!

Papa Echo, when I search for the folders in C:\Rafael\Multim

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / August 19, 2004 2:52 AM PDT

Strange ? Maybe yes, maybe no. You can read thousands of strange problems threads. We had here another case where the camera's utility stored the pictures files with unsupported characters in files' names.

In your case, I'd say that you use a third party utility that can search the entire hard drive and shows you the results, including for deleted files, so you can recover some of them. I'll give you some examples:

DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch 1.0

PC Inspector File Recovery

GetDataBack

Note

1. The recovery process should be done on another PC. In other words, don't download, install and run them on your PC. Why ? Because some of your deleted files will be unrecoverable for good.

2. Some of those utilities have different versions for FAT/NTFS so, choose them accordingly.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
strange things happen with cameras
by AussiePete / August 19, 2004 2:45 AM PDT

i have had a digital camera for 6 months now and its not really compatable with winXP - but i also run a win98 system and some funny things happen on both systems.
Firstly make sure your camera has the correct software and drivers for Win XP (go to your cameras web site and get the latest drivers/software) otherwise funny things do happen - if your camera doesn't have proper software for Win XP you are better off uninstalling it and just using the software that comes with windows xp to download your photos
I have also found some other programs that are better than the software that came with my Kodak camera - try downloading this program and see how it works - it should download your photos and is like an "explorer" type program for pictures
http://www.ulead.com/pex/trial.htm
Peter

Collapse -
Re: What file extension?
by Stan Chambers / August 19, 2004 7:20 AM PDT

If you know the file extension of you photo files, in Explorer (not while on line), click Tools, Folder Options, File Types tab, when they load, check to see if your photo file extension is listed there. If not you can add it to the list.
Hope this will help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.