Samsung forum

Resolved Question

FN Key function always on

by Rossi2009 / January 25, 2013 6:02 PM PST

Hi Peeps,

I am an owner of a Samsung NP350V5C Laptop.

The problem I have is that since getting the laptop the FN key is always on. Normal key functions like the numpad or the F-keys do not work even if I hold down the FN key to reverse the 'switch'.

I have searched google for an answer and tried to go through the Samsung website technical help but they don't even list my laptop code to go through their internet help system! Great.

Anyway if anyone has an idea to try out it would be a great help as it is a bit of a pain!

As I said above I have tried google and seen people have said press FN+Numlock but this doesn't work.

If anyone has the time to help it would be much appreciated!!!

Rossi2009 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FN Key function always on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FN Key function always on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I have a similar issue.
by SunnyFrimley / January 25, 2013 10:46 PM PST

Hi,

I too have a Samsung NP350V5C running Windows 8. Up until a few days ago, all was fine. Now, if I boot up the system, my function keys work as expected for about 15 minutes. Then, it is as if I am constantly holding the FN button down.

So for instance, pressing F5 will no longer refresh the browser screen, instead it will disable the mousepad. And pressing F2 and F3 causes the volume to increase or decrease.

It really is annoying. The only way around it I have found so far is to reboot the PC, and then it is fine for another 15 minutes.

Also, it isn't a browser issue. The PC can have no apps running and the problem will still occur.

I am sorry I don't offer a solution, but at least you now know you are not alone!

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Rossi2009

Collapse -
Sorted it out!
by SunnyFrimley / January 26, 2013 7:49 AM PST

Fixed it on my laptop. I ran the Samsung SW Update program, and used it to update the BIOS. I also installed various other updated drivers (I did each separately though; if you select all you end up with Norton and the like).

Now the function keys behave themselves.

You may ask why I wasn't already running it. Well, when I first got the laptop, the SW Update clashed terribly with Chrome and Firefox. Only IE10 worked properly. My laptop also kept blue screening and refusing to boot. I eventually managed to do a factory restore and since then the laptop has behaved itself. I hadn't used SW Update the 2nd time around, but I've used it now and it is behaving itself.

I guess they have been fixing bugs, because its a lot more stable now. What you get for having a brand new release I guess!

Collapse -
Not so fast....
by SunnyFrimley / January 26, 2013 3:22 PM PST
In reply to: Sorted it out!

Unfortunately, on restarting my laptop today, the old chrome bug has reappeared. I do wish Samsung would sort out their buggy software before releasing it.

The function keys work properly still though, but it is a very annoying fault.

Collapse -
Re: No so fast.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 28, 2013 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Not so fast....

Hi SunnyFrimley,

So the Chrome bug is that Chrome causes blue screening, correct? Have you checked Windows Update yet?

HD Tech

Collapse -
There is an issue with Flash in Chrome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Not so fast....

Google this then change the setting and re-test.

"DISABLE FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION IN CHROME."

I'm of two mind on that issue. Yes, it could mean the driver is buggy but then again this issue whacked too many machines so it's something you know to change.
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed!
by Rossi2009 / January 26, 2013 7:16 PM PST
In reply to: Sorted it out!

Hi Sunny Frimley,

Great stuff on saying about the SW Update program - have ran the BIOS update and it works fine now.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!!!

Collapse -
Answer
I don't own that one. But one of my laptops came that way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 2:14 AM PST

It turned out to be a BIOS setting. God knows why they did this. I'm guessing they were thinking of mindless folk that could not figure out how to use the Fn key.
Bob

Collapse -
BIOS SETTING
by DavideBozz / February 27, 2013 5:06 PM PST

How to disable it?
I have the same problem now, after updating the bios with SW update. I'm with the P07ABE version, but the Fn key problem is still on.

I can see no option in the BIOS that links to this problem, though.

Please help.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: BIOS SETTING

I don't have that model. But look at the folk that solved it above. If Samsung support won't fix it (I can't tell if you called it in) then it's best to exchange it for a working new one.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Found the problem!
by JeremyNicoll / July 26, 2015 11:18 AM PDT

I've an NP350E7C and recently had the same problem - Fn keys working perfectly after a reboot and then after a while suddenly acting as if the Fn key is stuck. It's caused on my machine by the "Fn Lock" key having been pressed accidentally, which is VERY easy to do because it's next to the Insert key, and there's no LED or anything else on the keyboard to show that the key has been pressed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.