Speakeasy forum

Alert

Flu epidemic? natural or man-made

by Willy / January 7, 2013 6:34 AM PST

I just wonder if what the news explained that the flu is getting around big time. If its the result of a natural one as would always be gotten or one because of all the people taking flu shots. The flu is the flu,right. The shots taken are suppose to weaken or lessen the effects of the flu, BUT!!! what about the poeple that don't take a flu shot. Would the effect be as "full-blown" catching from some that had the flu shot. I wonder because the flu itself can regenerate into a mutant form other than what was given. Besies that it may have a leg-up on anything new coming down the pike. Mand-made may cut the time a natural mutation takes place and gets a more virgorlant form, maybe.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nationwide-flu-activity-increases-stirs-deadly-pandemic-fears

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/flu-at-near-epidemic-levels/nTnH6/

I had the weak form of a flu, but got over it pretty soon. But, I still was sick but seemed to have less than what was expected. However, did I mention I was still sick, the time period remained the same and overall, it wasn't the "Oh God, help me" mode. But, I wasn't in the best health either. Because, of my age and all and current health, they really want me to get the shots, but i always refuse. I get the flu anyways, shots or not. I think for now, I've passed the period of sickness around here at least of what was going around. -----Willy Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flu epidemic? natural or man-made
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flu epidemic? natural or man-made
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Flu shots are limited
by givemeaname / January 7, 2013 7:12 AM PST

They normaly cover 6-8 strains of flu each year. The each year, the CDC the year before flu season starts does their research to pick what flu strains will be covered for the fallowing year. So the flu shot this year was pick in the 2011-2012 years. Normally there are 2 dozen plus strains of flu each year.
The shot is a hit or miss, I have never had one nor will I have the shot. I rather have my body built up its own immunity up naturally. There are times when as much as 5 years have past for me without getting sick and the few times I am sick I stay home, 2-3 days later I am fine.

The biggest problem is people taking antibiotics thinking it will shorten or "kill" the flu. 'Dan Rather Reports' did a good episode (ep 173 "Addicted to Antibiotics") on this topic.

Collapse -
You realize building up immunity naturally
by Roger NC / January 7, 2013 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Flu shots are limited

means you have to be exposed and hope you don't succumb?

Collapse -
vaccination is not absolute guareentee you won't get sick
by Roger NC / January 7, 2013 7:39 AM PST

However, it seems fully accepted even if you do, people with normal immune systems that have a vaccination don't get as sick if they do get sick.

This year so far the match has been good between vaccine and flu strain that actually breaks out. Some years they guess wrong as to which strain will be the most dangerous and widespread. Unfortunately while they guessed right the strain appearing most this year also normally causes more serious and widespread illness.

One factor that may indicate increased severity this season is that the predominant circulating type of influenza virus is influenza A (H3N2) viruses, which account for about 76 percent of the viruses reported. Bresee explains "typically 'H3N2 seasons' have been more severe, with higher numbers of hospitalizations and deaths, but we will have to see how the season plays out."

So far this season, most (91%) of the influenza viruses that have been analyzed at CDC are like the viruses included in the 2012-2013 influenza vaccine. The match between the vaccine virus and circulating viruses is one factor that impacts how well the vaccine works. But Bresee cautions that other factors are involved.

Most people have fever, aches, and respiratory distress for 4 to 10 days. Even after the fever and worst of the cough is over, some find themselves weak and extremely easy and quick to fatigue for another week or more. That of course more likely when you have to feel you have to get back to activities as quickly as possible, even before you recover.

Collapse -
they started flu shots early this year
by James Denison / January 7, 2013 8:49 AM PST

and sure enough, it showed up early this year. Cause and effect. I heard most nurses won't take the shot because they know "believe" it gives people the flu. Some hospital recently laid off some nurses because they refused to take mandated flu shots, one a nurse for over 30 years.

Collapse -
so you believe vaccination causes flu?
by Roger NC / January 7, 2013 11:40 AM PST

I remember all the news reports for the last half dozen years about how so many parents are deciding to not vaccinate children because the diseases are rare and vaccinations cause autism, or various other problems.

The herd effect is only good if most of the herd around you has the vaccine.

No one would claim today that the polio vaccine would cause polio since it has contributed to the disease almost eradication.

Collapse -
all vaccines are not the same
by James Denison / January 7, 2013 11:50 AM PST
Collapse -
True some flu vaccines are weakened not dead virus
by Roger NC / January 7, 2013 8:08 PM PST

do you believe that the vaccine is dangerous to the population?

Collapse -
perhaps some people
by James Denison / January 7, 2013 9:42 PM PST

Don't know it would be for all of them. Trading a weak illness or reaction for a possible stronger one later. I wonder what percentage of the population even gets the flu each year? Or got it before vaccines?

Collapse -
depends on whether you want to believe or not
by Roger NC / January 8, 2013 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: perhaps some people

but the medical community urges everyone to get them, says they help, and say older people are much more likely to die from the flu (if they catch it of course) without the shot.

But maybe the CDC is a government conspiracy of course.

Collapse -
Must it be conspiracy?
by James Denison / January 8, 2013 1:24 PM PST

Can they not simply be wrong?

Collapse -
drinkin granny's flu and cold remedy
by itsdigger / January 7, 2013 10:33 AM PST

as we speak. Don't laugh too hard when I tell you what it is,,,,piping hot Onion Tea! Tastes nasty so ya have to put some lemon in it but it really does a job of clearing out the sinuses and chest. Granny was a pretty sharp gal...Digger Love

Collapse -
Vegetables with Sulphur compounds and volatile oils seem to
by Ziks511 / January 8, 2013 2:47 AM PST

have remarkable positive health effects. Onions are like big Garlic cloves, and Garlic is well known as a source of healthy compounds. I can imagine that Onion Tea is a fairly unpleasant drink without the lemon, but lemon itself is particularly good since it is a source of Vitamin C.

Right now I think I have a cold. Doesn't feel bad enough to be the flu. How I caught it, I have no idea, but heaven knows I'm miserable. Sadly I have no onions to brew, nor echinacea to take. Maybe tomorrow.

Rob

Collapse -
you can take sulfur powder by itself
by James Denison / January 8, 2013 5:41 AM PST

I find that's better than using that MSM sulfur. Humco can be bought or ordered at any pharmacy, or even from Ebay. Works wonders on drying up a persistent cough. I should have remembered that for Toni the other day. Take about a 1/3 tsp a day.

Collapse -
for sulfur, one can also eat
by James Denison / January 8, 2013 5:44 AM PST

brussel sprouts. I doubt there's any other plant material commonly consumed by man which has a greater and more readily accessible sulfur in it, when one considers the quantity which can be consumed compared to alliums.

Collapse -
(NT) So does horse radish
by Diana Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 8:53 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.