Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Floppy A drive not recognised

by diana fellingham / March 14, 2006 1:01 AM PST

Some years ago, I purchased an excellent programme called "Address Book" on a floppy disk, from a company called Parsons Technology. This was through a monthly magazine called Home Software World. I have had to have my pc reformatted 3 times in as many weeks (dont ask!) and now I am in the process of putting back yet again, all my software from CDs. This programme is the only one on the old floppy format but my new XP Prof with SP2, will not recognise it. It keeps asking me "do I want to reformat the disk?"

I have tried to find these people on the internet, so I can maybe purchase this excellent programme on a CD, but cant find them anywhere. Plus of course my saved files on the PC are from the old floppy format. I also have Family Tree Maker on floppy and that isnt being recognised either. My hubby has an older pc (Win 98) and the floppies are ok on that. I have put the programmes onto his pc, but cannot copy them off. His USB ports arent recognised and he doesnt have a CD burning rom, so Im stuck!

Im not sure where to go from here. Unless I try and look for another programme and start all over again, but the thought of putting all those addresses in ggggrrrrrrrrr !!! Plus the fact I have 5 years of addresses of business people.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Floppy A drive not recognised
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Floppy A drive not recognised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What worked for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2006 1:05 AM PST

Format a new diskette on the XP box.

Copy the files and such on the floppy on the machine that works to a temp directory. Put the new diskette in and copy those files back to the new diskette.

All this has to do with media descriptor bytes on the diskette IF this works. I will not write more about this since you have

Best of luck,

Collapse -
A drive not recognised
by diana fellingham / March 14, 2006 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: What worked for me.

Hi and thanks for replying so quickly. I dont have many spare disks anymore but I did try 3. The following messages happened to each of them.

Firstly "do you want to format the disk?" I clicked "yes" and then new box said "There is no disk in drive A. Insert a disk and try again". So I click the OK button and up pops a new box "The disk in drive A cannot be formatted". Mmmmmmmmm

I shouod stress that up until this new XP Prof on my machine which was put on a week ago, I had my son's copy of XP Prof and the A drive always worked. Whilst I waited for my own version to come through the post, my french computer man put on the french XP and the floppies worked on with that. So I know it must be something to do with this new version.

Sighhhhhh !!

Collapse -
So you don't have XP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: A drive not recognised

This issue is common with those versions that people go around and install.

Sorry to read this.

Best of luck with the repairs.

Collapse -
Make the call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2006 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: A drive not recognised

Call that man back and have them install motherboard and what drivers to fix your drive. Or put in a new drive, cable, motherboard to fix the issue.

You've proven some repair needs to be made but there is no real clue what part has failed.

About diskettes. Now cheap and plentiful if you decide it's not work a new shiny diskette then you have told me how much this problem is worth solving.

Collapse -
by Themisive / March 14, 2006 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Make the call.

The floppy drive has failed.

Collapse -
A floppy not working
by diana fellingham / March 17, 2006 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: Possibly

Thanks both of you, for your help. I agree. I have come to the conclusion that it might be the A drive not working anymore. So I have emailed my french tehnician to see if he can come and replace it.

Seems a bit of a shame to do that I know, but with my two programmes that are very useful, I think it might be worthwhile. Then after loading the programmes, I can at least save to a CD.

Watch this space for any updates!

Collapse -
A: drive not working
by sroyeton / March 18, 2006 6:03 PM PST
In reply to: A floppy not working

If your A: drive is being recognized by 2 versions of Windows XP and not 1, that leads me to believe it is not the drive. The problem seems to lie with the Windows installation. I would install Windows XP Pro SP2, from either a factory disk or a retail disk. You could also do a Windows Repair, but, I have the feeling that may be a little drastic though. The thankful thing though is that floppy drives are very inexpensive. Get your hands dirty and change it yourself, it is relatively easy and you will get to know your computer better. Just remember, the red wire on both cables(power & IDE) point to each other.

Parsons Technology was purchased by Riverdeep then by Broderbund and the Address Book Program is no longer available along with all other Parson's programs except for some Bible programs. I used to buy a lot of Parsons programs. I would do a search for address books and go from there. You could also take the disk to someone that has a CD-R/RW and transfer the program to the CD. Don't just copy the disk, transfer each file individualy, it will work that way.

Collapse -
A: drive not working
by diana fellingham / March 19, 2006 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: A: drive not working

Hi there and thanks for your posting. I have not heard from my French PC Man yet, but next Thursday I will be visiting a friend who has a burning CD Rom and a spare USB port which will read my memory stick, so hopefully, at long last, I will be able to copy over the floppy disk and get the info I want.

As for the future, I shall have to get a new CD Address Book I know, and maybe once the software is installed I can get the programmes on CD.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and help.

Collapse -
Here is the info from M.S. explaining
by retired / March 14, 2006 3:37 AM PST

why it will not work. I can make some suggestions.

A friends computer that has a CD/RW that will read the disk(s).

A serial or parrallel cable to tie the two machines together and use the file and settings transfer wizard on the XP machine.

Copy the info from the Floppies to the HDD of the computer that will read them then take the HDD out and add it to the XP computer as a slave.

Collapse -
Thanks Retired
by phantazy / March 19, 2006 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry!!

Not suffering, but newly informed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.