Computer Help forum

General discussion

Floating Point not Loaded

by Ruzzells / December 30, 2009 1:10 AM PST

I've been experiencing lots of trouble with my computer lately...
I've reinstalled Windows XP many times, and yet the problems appear

- I ran Process Explorer and then a windows popped up with some saying :
Microsoft Visual C++, floating point not loaded
- Some programs at first ran smoothly, after a short while, the same thing happened, floating point not loaded
- And some others, closed by itself after running for less than 3 secs
- I tried to install an anti-virus software (after reinstalled Windows XP), and an error message popped up, same goes with other programs i tried to install (such as MySQL, etc.)

And all i really want to know is what causes such annoying problems?
I've formatted my drive 3 times and 1 partition couldn't be formatted (Always), i checked the Computer Management-->Disk Management, and it says that the drive D: is a system drive.

My computer specs:
Windows XP SP3 Professional (not genuine, yet)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR (Mobo)
Gigabyte EN9500GT (nVidia Chipset) (Graphics Card)
2 Hard Drives, 1 SATA (160GB) another one is 80GB but it's not SATA (I don't know what's it called)
3GB of RAM, 2GB PC6400, 1GB PC5300

And to anyone who helps me, thanks a lot!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Floating Point not Loaded
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Floating Point not Loaded
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not good
by Jimmy Greystone / December 30, 2009 1:32 AM PST

Not good, because the floating point unit is integrated into your CPU. So you might be looking at a bad CPU.

Collapse -
Now this was interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 1:45 AM PST
Collapse -
I've read
by Ruzzells / December 30, 2009 3:24 AM PST

Ok, i've read it, though some parts are difficult to understand.
Can a virus really mess up my computer like this?
The funny thing is that, i used Procexp from 3 sources
The first one is from my external HDD, d 2nd is from the Internet, and the 3rd is from my 2nd computer

Both ran fine, for a while, then the error message showed up
And IF it's caused by a virus, would it still be possible? Cause i cleaned up my computer good, i formatted all my drives (I deleted the partition when installing Windows).
But my 2nd hard drive, as mentioned above, couldn't be formatted.
I planned on using my 2nd drive to store all my data, saves, movies. Do i have to make my 2nd drive a logical disk? And how?

I wanted to analyze the registry structure if it's been damaged using CCleaner, the application ran fine, but then suddenly closed...
I tried to install an anti-virus software and MySQL, error message appeared again. But it didn't say anything about floating-point

Collapse -
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: I've read

While we know we can eject the virus, trojan (you name the others) what is clear is we can't always repair the OS. One of my wishes was for MSFT to offer a tool like Apple did at

But that is not to be. Add that many don't have a full Windows CD/DVD to repair the OS and the news is grim. In case I have to spell it out, here it is -> Windows can be so corrupt that repair can be far longer than a clean install and restore from our backups.

Hope that clears that up.

The discussion I offered was clear to me what their issue was and you see where it ended. Yes it may be unclear if you don't do this a lot but let me end with this.

Try your post in that forum since it is that software that failed.

Collapse -
Thanks for making that clear
by Ruzzells / December 30, 2009 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Good question.

I'm planning to install Windows Vista on my computer. I don't know if that might solve or at least prevent the problem from happening again.

But, it's not only that software that failed.
At first, it ran fine, and so were the others. After a while, many programs ran bad (especially 2 programs with the floating-point error message), while the others just closed after running for less than 3 secs.

I think my computer has been infected by the virus they mentioned on the forum. But how can I erase it when i can't install an anti-virus program, and even if I could, the main window of the anti-virus won't show up, and no such process in the task manager.

Collapse -
And, new infos
by Ruzzells / December 30, 2009 1:13 PM PST

I found a way to scan my system using PCMedia Antivirus, a local anti-virus software. And it's like every file is infected by a virus called "Sality"
"M.Sality" "P.Sality"

I changed the folder options : show hidden files and folders
All hidden files were shown (of course), for a while...
After then, options went back to default.
And now... All the hidden files and folders are hidden again...

I surfed the internet using google chrome, and the same happened, chrome suddenly closed (same goes with opera)

Collapse -
Just a thought
by VAPCMD / December 30, 2009 1:58 PM PST
In reply to: And, new infos

recently helped a neighbor with a pernicious and persistent malware problem and one thing I learned ...sometimes you have to change the antivirus executable file name for it to run. Some of the malware programs will not allow the anti-virus and anti-malware to run the install/setup or run he program if gets installed. So if AVG.exe is the executable for may have to simply change AVG.exe to AVF.exe to get it to install or run.

Might also help to create and run one of the UBCD4WIN or perhaps a Linux 'Live CD' which should allow you to run an AV program on the host system HDDs.

They've probably got some good ideas over in the Security, Spyware, AV forum for fixing the problems ...;f06-fd

Keep up posted.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.