Computer Help forum

General discussion

Flickering/Shimmering Edges on All Games Please Help Me

by Jswen4 / May 3, 2013 6:08 PM PDT

Alright, here it goes. I have been pulling my hair out over this issue, so any help here would be MUCH appreciated.

The issue is: in all my games; minecraft, skyrim, L4D, Dishonored, NBA 2k, (even youtube videos of gameplay) the edges of textures (in the distance) flicker and sort of crawl as the camera moves. It happens more to thin textures like ropes, rails, fences, etc... especially if theres a light source. It is really distracting and was NEVER there before. Again, my computer was looking great and out of no where this issue arose.

I have tried the following:
1. I tested 4 different graphics cards both amd and nvidia all with the same issue.
2. No amount of AA or AF or TRAA helps. It does its job because up close textures look amazing but distant textures still shimmer badly.
3. I tried re-positioning the graphics card 4 or 5 times. And tried putting it in different slots.
4. I tried the latest version of the nvidia driver, using driver sweeper and have the same issue. I have also tried older versions of the driver as well.
5. I checked all my hardware, there's enough power getting to everything, my cpu is running cool and smooth, even my games run amazingly well except for this issue.
6. I have tried 3 different monitors and different dvi/avg cables. Still persists.
7. I have updated the BIOS to its latest version. No help.

Nothing is OC at the moment.

I have honestly tried everything i can think of except re installing windows and/or trying to figure out what piece of hardware might be causing this. If anyone can help me out it would be much much appreciated. Thanks.

Specs: Windows 7 Home SP1
GTX 670 (Nvidia)
i5 2500-k Sandy Bridge @3.3 ghz
Acer 1600 x 900 lcd screen
8k MB of RAM

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flickering/Shimmering Edges on All Games Please Help Me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flickering/Shimmering Edges on All Games Please Help Me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
good theme

good theme

Collapse -
Same Problem
by Major_Cj / May 22, 2013 1:44 AM PDT

Mate, I have this exact problem and have no idea what it is, but it's been plaguing me for a long time.

If you figure it out or get any info on this then please let me know and I'll do the same.

I've tried reinstalling windows but that didn't help. I've upgraded my graphics card but that didn't help (faster graphics card so it's much smoother but this problem still persists). The only thing I have yet to try is changing the PSU. I'll report back when I've done this.

Windows 7 Pro x64
Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
Intel Core i7 980x
Dell 2048x1152 Monitor
12Gb Corsair Vengeance

Collapse -
by Jswen4 / May 23, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

Good to know Im not alone with this issue. I just tried installing a new motherboard, unfortunately that didn't help either. The only things I haven't tried are changing the CPU and PSU. Please do let me know if changing the PSU helps fix it. Ill report back if I find anything else that fixes this. Thanks for the feedback!

Collapse -
by Major_Cj / May 23, 2013 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Feedback

Now then.

Yeah, I tried a motherboard change too, but sadly it didn't help at all.

I tried using power cables off a different rail of my PSU to power my graphics card today and now I can hear a noise through my speakers/headphones when my card is under load, so I'm tempted to believe it's a PSU issue. I'm going to try and get it changed within the week and when I do I'll post back.

I've had this problem for a long time but due to my work I spend long periods away from home so I haven't had the time to fix it. I'm hoping now that I have a little time I can get t sorted as it is massively annoying.

Collapse -
by Major_Cj / May 23, 2013 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

I almost forgot; I have tried reinstalling Windows before but the problem remains so I'm not sure it's worth you doing mate.

Collapse -
by Jswen4 / May 23, 2013 1:43 PM PDT

Ya i was really hoping a new motherboard/reinstall of windows would do the trick, but no such luck there. I too am convinced that it has to a PSU problem, but I just don't understand why everything (volts/temps) is functioning perfectly except for this issue. maybe the electrical wiring in my house is going bad? I really don't know. People keep telling me I might just be noticing something that was there before and I hadn't realized it. However im pretty damn sure I would have picked this up sooner if that was the case. Im a gamer and most of my games right now are unplayable to me because of this. Its beyond annoying at this point haha.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing if a new PSU fixes this problem for you. Fingers crossed! Just the thought of changing any more hardware on my pc right now gives me a headache, so im going to hold off on getting a new PSU for now. Thanks again for the feedback, its keeping me sane in the process of looking for a fix.

Collapse -
No luck.
by Major_Cj / May 28, 2013 2:47 AM PDT

I received my replacement PSU today and unfortunately this hasn't helped at all.

I'm going to play around with my HDDs now and see if one is faulty.

The only other thing that I can think of is that I've downloaded something like a mod for Skyrim or whatever that is somehow affecting the system.

Very frustrating.

Collapse -
by Jswen4 / May 28, 2013 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: No luck.

Thanks for the report back. Damn, I was really hoping that the PSU was at fault. We've spent so much time and money trying to fix this, its really starting to be ridiculous. Im at a loss for what to try next. I've thought about skyrim mods causing this problem (maybe an old ENB file or something?), but I would have thought that a clean install of windows would fix that. I'll double check all my mods and direct-x folders see if that changes anything and let you know...

Collapse -
by crowley_dot / June 10, 2013 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: :(

We are not alone in this problem!

A few posts I found :

Different GPUs from diff. constructors, different everything except 7 x64. And it seems to have started out of the blue. That says to me it's either a windows update, another software or a virus. But after reinstalls, the problem persists so the first two options cannot be... I seriously think it could be a virus that goes from the computer into the graphic card, when you plug a new card, the virus jumps in it. It sounds ridiculous but I'm at a loss to find another explanation. The wiring in the house thing intrigues me too, I tried on different outlets to no avail, but all in the same room.

Either that or we're all crazy Blush and I don't think so because the problem started when I was playing X3 and the difference is enormous. I can run crysis 3 ultra settings great but it looks like crap. There is seriously something to be done, but with a weird problem like that, it's like being a kid with an orphan (read rare) disease there is no percentage in finding a cure...

Collapse -
I also have this same problem in my computer.
by bha15 / June 11, 2013 6:10 PM PDT

When I had my Dual Core computer with ATI HD4650 1GB graphics card everything was fine and there was no flickering or jagging on edges in any game on even low graphics settings but when I bought Core i3 with ATI HD5570 1GB graphics card then first everything was fine but after some time I got error while playing games and watching videos on youtube that error was "display adapter has stopped working" and game hanged and continued at same time and then it started giving blue screen error, then jagging and flickering appeared on edges like ropes, grills and roads and far objects and buildings but after sometime display error and blue screen error gone but jagging and flickering is still there, I replaced PSU, MotherBoard, Graphics card, Processor etc but no luck.

Collapse -
No solution yet.
by Jswen4 / June 12, 2013 6:21 AM PDT

Interesting post. Since you have tried replacing almost everything in your comp and I have tried replacing almost everything in my comp (except CPU) and so have a few others, I am no longer convinced it's a hardware problem like I previously thought. The question now is where to start? Im curious to know how many people who have this problem upgraded to a better graphics card. I can't be too sure, but I think this problem started for me a little while after I installed my gtx 670. I guess ill try a fresh install of my drivers (yet again) and see if I can mess around with the display adapter driver. If I find out anything I'll be sure to post.

Collapse -
by crowley_dot / June 12, 2013 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: No solution yet.

But how can it be your gpu driver if the problem exists with GPUs from diff. constructors? That's what boggles the mind. The problem must be in win7 display driver or the "bridge" between win 7 and the card specific drivers. I wish I knew more about all this to investigate properly, I'm an ok coder but hardware and OS architecture are far from being my strong skills.

Collapse -
Digital signature
by crowley_dot / June 12, 2013 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: driver

I just realized that the drivers I have are not digitally signed. In the device manager/driver details, all the dll are marked not digitally signed. I know 7 has problems with that (I could never get ATI Tray tools to work because of it) could it come from that? You guys should check if we have that in common.

Collapse -
Digital Signature
by Jswen4 / June 12, 2013 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital signature

yeah, I doubt its anything to do the the gpu driver. I just don't know what else there is to try. I'm not good with coding or anything like that, so I am really at a loss for what to try next. Next to Digital Signer it says "Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher" for me, so i doubt that's it. Oh well back to the drawing board... keep me posted!

Collapse -
loss of hope
by Chasemc123 / January 27, 2015 12:58 PM PST

Hello, I honestly know how you feel, I just came across this post an hour ago I know this is old but that must mean you have answers and this seemed like some light in the darkness I am currently enveloped in. To make a long story short I spent 2000 dollars on a gaming pc which I built and this jagged edges, flickering textures is tearing me apart. If you have found any answers at all I would censoriously appreciate it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.