Laptops

General discussion

Flickering pixels on laptop screen

by SVIIB / July 14, 2010 12:48 PM PDT

This morning when I first turned on my laptop I noticed something strange. It's hard to describe but in the upper-middle part of the screen, there are clusters of "flickering pixels". It looks a little like static. The pixels themselves seem cyan but it is only evident when this part of the screen is light shades of cyan/teal/green/grey. It's most evident on the Vista startup screen!

I have not made any changes lately and the laptop has not left my desk in a few weeks. It's only about a year and a half old. So this seem to have come out of the blue, with no cause I can identify.

I've tried rebooting, restore point, updating the video drivers, the system diagnostic, the basic system restore. Nothing has made a difference. I phoned Samsung and their only suggestion (short of sending it in) was to do a complete system restore. I'm just looking for other suggestions before I take either drastic step. Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flickering pixels on laptop screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flickering pixels on laptop screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the same problem
by shonanuser / September 11, 2010 11:30 PM PDT

I have just discovered exactly the same prblem on my Samsung X460.
It's just over a year old and the screen is flickering just as you described.
Did you manage to get it fixed?

Collapse -
Ditto
by saturnleia / November 2, 2010 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: the same problem

I'm having the same problem as well. Anyone find a fix that didn't involve replacing the entire screen?

Collapse -
No luck here
by shonanuser / November 2, 2010 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Ditto

My screen has got progressivley worse. About 1/8 of the screen on the left side is all fuzzy. The other part of the screen is fine.
It also changes - sometimes it is not too bad but other times it is worse.
I've removed the screen and can't see anything that would cause the problem.
I contacted a Samsung service center who said that they can't supply a new screen to fit myself and the cost including fitting is ?3-400. That is half the price I paid for the laptop!
I've had no luck trying to source a screen from other companies via the net.
So basically I'vce decided to try and live with the problem.
Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Strange!
by shonanuser / November 2, 2010 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: No luck here

The strangest thing just happened - just after I posted the above, I squeezed the laptop case just below where the screen has gone fuzzy - that is below the Windows Start Up menu on the left and the screen went back to normal!
There must be something there that has come loose.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by saturnleia / November 11, 2010 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Strange!

Hey, that seemed to help my laptop too! Thanks!

Collapse -
Really?
by shonanuser / November 11, 2010 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Did you take the screen out?
Maybe it would be worth contacting Samsung and telling them there's a problem?

Collapse -
Who knew?
by saturnleia / November 11, 2010 1:45 PM PST
In reply to: Really?

I didn't take the screen out - just squeezed underneath the screen near the flickering part, and it looks like the screen is back to normal. I guess we could contact Samsung, but admittedly I probably bang the laptop around more than I should (not on purpose - but it goes everywhere with me).

Collapse -
by palmeirinha618 / November 25, 2010 2:29 PM PST

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say I had the exact same problem you guys have (although my pattern was different):

http://img534.imageshack.us/i/screen1fe.jpg/
http://img259.imageshack.us/i/screen2jk.jpg/

and I was ready to drop $150 on a new screen until I read one of your comments where you said to press the case of the screen right below where it flickers. That fixed it for me! 5 mins in and no flickering! Thanks so much for the advice.. I had been running on a flickering screen for 7 months... how could I not have thought of that...

Anyways, point of the matter is, Samsung costumer service could have told users how to fix it, but they didnt. In fact, they never returned my calls or emails. I was about to pay $250 to repair it in a shop, glad I didnt go through with it and decided to explore the problem myself. The laptop is really good, but truth is I'll never buy a samsung again bc of their costumer service

Collapse -
Another one?
by shonanuser / November 26, 2010 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: ..

Thanks for posting the pictures. My screen was indentical to yours but on the far left hand side. It happens now and again in the middle of the screen but when I press the bottom part it stops.
I agree with your comment about never buying a Samsung product again.
There is obviously a problem with the X460 laptop but Samsung couldn't care less.
Their customer service is terrible.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Alzeve / November 27, 2010 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Another one?

Thanks for the fix shonanuser! I have had this issue for several months as well and had just been too lazy to do anything about it until now.
I am planning to buy an LCD TV and decided to fix this first before spending money on a Samsung. While I haven't called tech support myself, after reading this post I think I might go for a Panasonic instead.

Collapse -
Odd?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2010 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

"While I haven't called tech support myself, after reading this post I think I might go for a Panasonic instead."

Tech support has reached a point that I find folk will not even try.
Bob

Collapse -
Bad connection, cable, or video chip
by screensurgeons / November 28, 2010 11:25 AM PST

Here's what could be happening (most likely first):

1. Bad connection either from the cable to the LCD panel or from the motherboard to the cable. You need to reseat the connectors
2. Bad cable. Buy a replacement cable on eBay.
3. Bad video chip or motherboard. Probably not worth it to repair.

Collapse -
Any more info?
by shonanuser / November 28, 2010 1:35 PM PST

Thanks for your input.
How would you go about reseating the connector?

Collapse -
Same issues.
by gmodlin / November 29, 2010 11:10 AM PST

Mine has been doing this since last year (around December). I was able to temporarily fix it by pressing the case in, but the problem always returned. It started on the right side but the same issue occurred in the middle of the screen. It soon turned into a solid white line, first 1/2" big then moved up to 1 1/2" straight down the middle. One day I came back to my computer to find that 3/4th of the screen was completely pixelated, and the issue moved over. As far as I can tell, this is a persistent problem that will eventually spread until the screen is useless. I have it hooked up to my tv via hdmi cable, that's how I do all of my work now. I'm opting to buy a new laptop, though I liked this one quite a lot.

I like and trust all of my other Samsung products, it seems this is a bad egg. I may still try another samsung laptop like the qx 410.

Collapse -
Me too!
by delhiengineer / December 19, 2010 2:04 PM PST

I've had the exact same problem with the samsung x460 screen. I thought it was my own mistreatment of the laptop but I'm clearly not alone.

Mine was about a year old when a band on the left of the screen started to flicker and go strange. Initially it was fixable by squeezing below the screen. But it has got progressively worse to the point where there is just a white band and the image is not recoverable whatever you do. Ominously the right hand side is showing signs of the same problem now too.

Has anyone found a fix to this? Anyone tried replacing the cable only? Any luck?

Collapse -
Fix?
by shonanuser / December 25, 2010 5:44 PM PST
In reply to: Me too!

Has anyone tried opening up the laptop to fix the screen?
I took the screen out but I don't know enough about computers to attempt to fix it.
Might be worth a try?

Collapse -
Flickering Pixel on Samsung Laptop
by michelsmith / September 12, 2011 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Fix?

Hi,

The flickering of the screen is caused due to the problems with the inverter.

Inverter is the part which provides the power to the backlight.

Sometimes you may see a white color on the screen.

In this case the connection between the motherboard and the monitor may be damaged.

To solve this problem, replace the inverter with a new one and also repair the damaged connections.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/61351-35-flickering-pixels-laptop-screen

Collapse -
Flickering pixels on laptop screen
by physjcirl / March 21, 2013 1:38 PM PDT

I agree with screensurgeons

1. Get good instructions how to disassemble the laptop model that you have. Take the battery out.
2. Disassemble and check the connection of the video cable to the motherboard, familiarize yourself with instructions that you find, usually involves flipping up tape flipping a latch 90 degrees, and check the inverter connection. Disassemble the lid of the laptop, usually done by removing screws taking off the bezel (where you will find the inverter circuit board check the connector here) and removing screws holding the top of the screen in place, tilting it forward and removing the screws that hold it into the hinges. Tilt the screen forward look on the back and check this end of the video cable. Reconnect and retape it firmly.

Cant rule out the motherboard or video chip after looking at the pictures but believe it would help to reseat the connections

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.