Desktops forum

General discussion

Flashing Amber light in power button??

by strange1889 / August 2, 2006 11:46 PM PDT

i'm WORKING on a Dell OptiplexGX240 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium Processor, 523Mb RAM, Windows 2000 SP4 & it wont even boot up any more. all i'm getting is a flashing amber light shining through the power button (which is normally green) the light flashes when the power cable is unplugged, i checked power cables, different wall/ APC units/ sockets/ the monitor comes on, worked fine for 2 years, causual use, nothing demanding, no beebs. any ideas? thanks.

I EXTREMELY DISLIKE DELLS (bad experiences all around)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flashing Amber light in power button??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flashing Amber light in power button??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check....
by Willy / August 3, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

If this system has the power supply(psu) with the leds present on its case. What do they remain lit as, that code should explain if any power issues are at fault. Goto the Dell upport website and find that code listing and determine that. See, if you can enter the bios at all upon power-up, use the key sequence for that model(F1, F2, F10?). Open case and see if anything is loose. Inspect indes for burnt or broken(blown) caps, etc.. Further, unplug all devices and see if it gets further in boot-up. try all that...

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
1 Problem
by strange1889 / August 3, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Check....

I'm not authorized to open the case. yeah, corporate america is so stupid. they gave me the comp to fix but the case is locked, literally w/ a padlock. so i can check everything that you suggested, but i can check anything inside. that'll havta be som1 else. TYVM.

Collapse -
Locked case...???!!!***
by skycatcher / August 4, 2006 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 Problem

How the heck can they expect you to fix a PC with a locked case - What planet do these people come from...? - Do they drive Volvos...?

The general results of some searches say 'Power Supply' but try this Dell link...
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/tree?c=us&l=en&s=gen&journalid=30C0EDE11ABE11DBB6E67134E3193C20&treeid=F77732647D038194E030030ABD6206A1
I couldn't got any further because I don't know which case you have.

I'm in the UK and if I want a Mouse off the shelf in the stores, and I can't reach it by about 6 inches... I have to get a woman, out of the office, to stop work and get it for me because she has taken a course in climbing step ladders... huh.... I am on the local Cave Rescue team and do regular indoor climbing as well but I'm not allowed to use a step ladder. Stop the Planet... I want to get off....

Collapse -
Here's Another Good Link...
by skycatcher / August 4, 2006 4:07 AM PDT

Here's another useful pile of info...

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=oplex_other&message.id=23521

Don't doubt Dell too much.... Roll Royces break down sometimes as well. All manufacturers are under such price cutting pressure these days that they have to cut corners to compete.

If you could get into the case I'd advise you to unplug everything and see if you get beeps. Then try plugging stuff back in one at a time and try different combinations to see if something inside is causing a power fault. BUT... as you can't open the box... please ignore this paragraph.

Oh... and send your bosses a copy of these posts... but don't use your own email address and don't sign it...

Collapse -
FLASHING AMBER LIGHT FIX
by saleens281speedster / January 23, 2008 8:09 PM PST

FLASHING AMBER LIGHT FIX. This maybe in fact a motherboard issue, but actually its a bit more. You can and should replace the power supply with a more powerfull one as it will help overall, but the issue is Really the front USB ports and 2 issues concerning them, 1 some devices pluged into them have boot sequences of their own, (remember your boot seq goesfrom,USB,CD,ARRAY)etc.
So if the device isnt design with its own OS, the mis-boot will get stuck Hence the Flashing light. and 2. the front USB ports dont supply alot of power upon bootup. and the devices pluged into them will again cause a mis-boot. Simply unplug everything from the FRONT usb ports. You may have to shut the computer off and unplug the machine for about *15* minutes.
Enough to get the motherboard to downpower completely.
with the front usb ports clear, and the power cord unpluged, hold down the power button and plug in the machine. should boot no problem. So to sum things up. The motherboard is fine, it just not happy with so many usb ports (power wise). A larger power supply is a good idea but wont entirly fix the issue, Unplug front usb devices as they may have some form of bootup. This problem isnt solely dell either. But dell has made a major blunder in setting up overseas tech support. never could understand why prospering corporations with a good track record decide to play it cheap, moving operations oversea's only to find theyre product suck tech support is worst and loyal buyers moving elsewhere. you hear the same stories over and over. Greed.

Collapse -
Flashing Amber Light
by philly#169 / January 24, 2008 12:24 AM PST

Im having the same trouble with a Dell Optiplex GX520. Just with a kettle lead into the power supply the power switch on the front was flashing amber. At first I thought it could be a power problem as nothing would turn on, no fans running at all. I changed power supplies to a brand new one and the same happened. However, I removed the ribbon for the front usb panel from the motherboard and plugged the kettle lead in again and the fans began to spin. However, 6-8 seconds later the fans stopped.

I then took out the memory and plugged the lead back in and the fans run fine, cd drive opens etc. So can't be a power problem surely?

Could it be a motherboard probelm?

Collapse -
Just No..
by jmsk864 / February 15, 2015 9:43 PM PST

Everything the above user said in response to this hardware issue has absolutely nothing to do with anything at all. In fact, I was almost offended. So, I specifically created a CNET account so as to deter anyone away from the loss of time trying anything or even reading anything from the above post. Even the use of technical terminology was at times, laughable.

The flashing Amber Light will correspond to a specific hardware issue, which usually needs to be tested by mix and matching hardware components to see when the computer boots.

Collapse -
4+ years late.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2015 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: Just No..

This 2006 thread is now closed.

Collapse -
Anyone whos curious
by strange1889 / August 10, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

the computer in question was fixed today(by som1 w/ more security clearance). the mobo had to be replaced...personally i think that was overkill...but hey! it doesnt come outta my paycheck. thanks all for your help

Collapse -
5 DELLS
by Scrotes4Life / August 11, 2006 10:13 AM PDT

I've had 5. I have 3 running in the house right now. Never hada one leave me stranded. I knocked on wood (of course) but I always do that when I state something like that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.