Computer Help forum

General discussion

Flash Videos won't play sound

by ckstrong01 / September 7, 2005 10:23 AM PDT

First of all let me start by saying, I have clicked on the speaker icon and it is turned up.

Okay now that we have that out of the way...I have recently noticed that flash videos/games in all my browsers won't play any sound. I have tried it in IE/Firefox/Opera and in all of those I have had no luck. WMV/MOV files play just like they are supposed to. The only files that have been a problem are the SWF files.

Next let me say that MSN Messenger might also be affected by the same problem as it will not play my alert sounds like it is supposed to. I have uninstalled/reinstalled everything from Macromedia Flash Player to the browsers themselves, but alas nothing makes a difference.

I am running Windows XP Home SP2, Messenger 7.5, IE 6.0.2900.2180, Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6.

If anyone knows what I should do could you please help me. I have no idea what to do.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Videos won't play sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Videos won't play sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CK, Have You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 8, 2005 3:53 AM PDT

..installing the newest 1.4.2 Java and Windows Script Engine.

First, if you have Sun's 1.5 Java, you'll need to uninstall it AFTER getting the newest 1.4.2 Java from the link below:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the "Download Windows J2SE JRE" download link that is in the "J2SE v 1.4.2_09 JRE includes the JVM technology" section. Download the full "Windows Offline Installation" file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean), then uninstall Java 1.5 from the Control Panel, then shut down all background programs, including your antivirus, then run the installer.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

AFter that, download and install the updated Script engine from the appropriate link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

At the link above, you'll need to validate your version of XP which isn't a problem as long as its legal.

After everything is installed, then open the Control Panel, double click on the "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. When that loads, scroll down to the "Java(Sun)" section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to: "Use Java,....". Click on Apply. Then scroll to the "Multimedia" section and place a CHECK mark in the "Play Sounds In Web Pages", "Play videos in Web Pages", & "Show pictures" box and UNCHECK the box next to "Show download Placeholders:", then click on Apply, then Ok.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for trying!
by ckstrong01 / September 8, 2005 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: CK, Have You Tried??

Well I tried everything you suggested in your post and NOTHING. I really appreciate you trying to help me. If there is anything you can think of I would greatly appreciate it. I have also ran SpybotS&D, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard. They all say there is nothing on my computer. I am also running Avast! Antivirus and it hasn't found anything either. I have no idea what could be going on. Isn't it really weird to hear WMV/MOV clips, but not SWF files? I just don't get it.

Thanks again,
Ckstrong01

Collapse -
flash
by byker49 / September 8, 2005 7:38 AM PDT

Just a guess, but if you have a third party firewall such as Zone Alarm or Mcafee Firewall or Norton you might try turning them off and go to a trusted site and see if it works.

BTW, I have Java 1.5 and it has never given me any problem.

You can test your player here:

http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

You should see Duke the little mascot dancing around.

Good luck

Collapse -
To No Avail...
by ckstrong01 / September 8, 2005 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: flash

Well the only firewall I have going is Windows Firewall and I tried disabling that and still nothing.

Let me set up the scenario a little better...

I have two computers, one desktop and one laptop. The desktop computer works fine. I can listen to all the flash videos I want on that one and there is not a single glitch. When it comes to my laptop on the other hand that is where the problem lies. My laptop has integrated wireless and and my desktop is wired to my Netgear router. I don't know exactly when the problem started but I do know that it is really annoying to not be able to listen to the sounds of some websites.

Thanks for everyones help...Keep the suggestions coming. PLEASE!!!

CKStrong01

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.