Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Flash Player won't play on certain websites.

by mmbezerker / April 9, 2009 10:16 PM PDT

Hi All,

I am having problems getting Adobe Flash player to work on certain websites. It won't play the game highlights videos in, but will play the Game of the Day on the home page! Also, videos in will not play, but I have no problems using Youtube or many other sites.

I have an Acer laptop running Vista Premium, with Firefox 3. I have wireless internet with a min 500 - 1000 kbps. I have uninstalled (using Adobe uninstaller) and reinstalled Flash player many times to no avail.

Please help! It is driving me crazy as I had no previous problems when I was using a desktop PC with the same specs.........It can't be the laptop can it??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Player won't play on certain websites.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Player won't play on certain websites.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a more active forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2009 10:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
Flash Player won't play on certain websites.
by mmbezerker / April 10, 2009 12:26 AM PDT

ok, thanks. I've moved it there now.

Collapse -
Solution for Flash not working Some Sites
by eagle1003 / August 11, 2010 4:28 AM PDT

If a webpage with the same flash content does not work in all browsers, (Chrome, Opera, IE, Firefox, Safari, etc), go to Adobe's Global Manager web page: manager.html or just right click on the blank Flash player and select " Global Settings", navigate to Global Storage Settings Panel and check the box that says "Allow third party flash content to store data on your computer". This setting applies to your user account ONLY and will have to be checked on every instance of a new user account on your computer(s). While you are there, check the "Never ask Again" box. This will prevent every new site you visit from prompting to allow for storage on your computer. (who cares, it?s a temporary allocation). Also check the third box "Store common Flash Components...."(why wouldn't you want this?)

Collapse -
where does Flash save information?
by mikew92109 / July 14, 2011 11:40 PM PDT

Would you happen to know where Flash saves its information?
I checked the box you described. (Actually, it's a radio button
in the latest Flash, it says "Allow sites to save information on this computer".
I checked the "Local Storage Settings by Site..." it's empty.
I used the Delete All... Still, some sites will indicate "now playing"
but no video or audio.
The issue only affects my own user on this computer. It affects
both Firefox and IE. I'm thinking maybe permissions got messed
up on the folder where it stores the data. I have uninstalled flash,
as well as Firefox, and reinstalled, no help.

Collapse -
Settings are likely in the registry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.