Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Flash Player problem

by carl2171 / June 19, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

Recently I've noticed when I go to a few sites I'm told I need version 8 of Flash Player. I've downloaded it several times, but when I go back to those sites they still tell me I need it. I did a search on my HD and I do have a variety of Flash Player files on my system. Any idea why this may be happening? Don't know if this is needed but I'm running Win XP Pro with an Athlon XP 2800 on an HP D325 computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Player problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Player problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder if the site is buggy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2006 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Flash Player problem

I've seen that on a few sites and they seem to work now without any change on my end.

Who says the site works?

Bob

Collapse -
I'm pretty sure the sites are still good
by carl2171 / June 20, 2006 7:30 AM PDT

This started when I cleaned out some of the ActiveX files in the Windows/Download Program Files folder after reading something on a cnet forum. So I don't think it's a coincidence that these sites started showing me that message after I deleted somethings.

Collapse -
Try cleaning a bit more and FireFox too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2006 10:30 PM PDT

Look up BHODEMON and toss out all BHOs (none are required for IE to work.) Also uninstall Flash and then try it's download/install again.

Remember that a recent Windows Update patched Flash because of a security issue. I wonder if that's at play here.

Finally try another browser and install flash for it. I suggest firefox.

Bob

Collapse -
chaffer, had similar problem with flashplyer
by DarCLew2 / June 20, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

Turns out that it has two places to go. Windows\system32\Macromed AND My name (Admin)\Applications\macromedia! When I downloaded it, it went to the first one that I had to clock on it to update it, Then I copied and pasted all that into my second one. I just purchased a 20GB HDD so I had to reinstall it all in 12 hours and some is still not done. But it is okay. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
One other place
by carl2171 / June 20, 2006 7:35 AM PDT

This got started when I deleted some ActiveX files from the Windows Download Programs folder after I read something on a cnet forum. But I've noticed since downloading them again they don't seem to be going back there.

Collapse -
Flashplayer 8 problem
by indigoaven / June 20, 2006 9:57 AM PDT

Every few days on sites that I visit it says I need flashplayer. All I can do is uninstall it from my add/remove and then download it again from adobe. This started when Adobe went to flashplayer8. Their forums are full of complaints that Adobe doesn't seem to want to fix. Either Adobe is messed up or the websites are (including cnet). I haven't a clue to this, but hope they get things straighted out, SOON!

Collapse -
can't find it
by carl2171 / June 20, 2006 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Flashplayer 8 problem

I went to add remove programs and I don't even see Flashplayer listed, but I do see Shockwave Player.

Collapse -
Re:can't find it
by indigoaven / June 20, 2006 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: can't find it

Sometimes that also happens to me when I thought it downloaded, as it say's it was successfully installed. Also and not always I get the IE security warning box (the same one on the adobe download instructions) When I do get the security warning and click install than it get's installed, but doesn't work on sites after a few day's, as I mentioned before. If you have dial-up as I do, the download takes about 5 minutes, but it will install. Let me know what happens.

techreader

Collapse -
by carl2171 / June 20, 2006 7:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:can't find it

I don't think I've seen the IE security warning box, if I have I don't remember it, also I've got cable.

Collapse -
activex is required to download flashplayer 8
by DarCLew2 / June 20, 2006 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Flashplayer 8 problem

It is also required to download Shockwave Player 10.1, the same applies to www.java.com, activex or no download; activex is required for microsoft updates also. That is three different places, so who do you think is right and who do you think is incorrect?
No activex = no msn updates, no shockwave, no flashplayer & no java. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
I do have some of that
by carl2171 / June 20, 2006 7:42 PM PDT

The forum didn't say all ActiveXs were bad just that from some you could pick up a virus, so be careful what you download. As for the things you listed, I'm still able to get MS updates and I do have Shockwave.

Collapse -
Method to do a Fresh Install of Macromedia
by colindarby / June 21, 2006 1:45 PM PDT

To give you a fresh Macromedia Player program installations [Eliminating the Bugs??] do have a look within your = Control Panel = Add & Remove = and see if you have both programs listed of Macromedia Flash Player and Macromedia Shock Wave Player and uninstall same! [May not show in Add and Remove?? = If not, use the Macromedia Uninstallers??]
Next Go to URL [May have to copy and paste into Internet Address Field]

www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Do also do repeat by using the Macromedia Uninstallers of Macromedia Flash Player and Shock WavePlayer ''Uninstall Programs'' to make sure that all the unininstall has been done [clean] and then install both their latest Macromedia players as available from within this web page.
May be worth the try to see if overcomes your problems
Hope may help!

Collapse -
Thanks
by carl2171 / June 21, 2006 7:30 PM PDT

I'll give that a try but in Add/Remove the only that's listed is Macromedia Shock Wave Player, no Flash Player unless it's hiding under an alias. Since I don't have Flash Player in Add/Remove I'm not sure how I can use the Macromedia Uninstallers.

Collapse -
Thanks problem solved
by carl2171 / June 22, 2006 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I used the uninstaller at Adobe and then did a clean install and everything seems to be working fine.

Collapse -
Works great now
by carstereos / June 23, 2006 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks problem solved

Thanks for the link
www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/
Unistalled then reinstalled, checked youtube and all is good. THANK YOU

Collapse -
Goofy Flash behavior
by MikeyD215 / June 24, 2006 3:15 PM PDT

Many of the problems described stem from the facts that when updating Flash (and Shockwave) players older versions of the software are not automatically deleted during the installs and that, beginning with version 8, not all of the components can be uninstalled with the Add/Remove applet in the Control Panel. To eliminate this source of the problems use Add/Remove, use their downloadable removal tool for Flash 8, and finally go into the program folder

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed

and clean house. Then reinstall Flash and Shockwave from their site.

However, you may still have problems, because there is a bug in the latest Flash that prevents it from working in WIN-XP restricted/limited user accounts, thereby generating false messages that it is not installed. That is, Flash will work only in so-called administrator accounts. As far as I know they have not solved the bug yet, but they do have a workaround that requires editing the registry. I know for a fact that it works because I successfully applied the edits. There is a document dealing with problem at their web site.

Collapse -
It shouldn't be our problem to fix!!!!!
by indigoaven / June 25, 2006 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Goofy Flash behavior

Ever since flashplayer8 came out there has been nothing but problems. As long as they use (and most sites use) this player they should have tested it better than they have. Every day or so I have to uninstall and re-install. It also does not work on Firefox (I've installed it and nothing) it only works on IE. Maybe they (Adobe) should buy a can of RAID!!! to get rid of the bugs. This is only my opinion, many people are trying to figure and help, but in the end it's all up to the folks at ADOBE.

PO'd techreader

Collapse -
Flash Player for Firefox
by colindarby / June 25, 2006 8:24 AM PDT

I wonder if you have installed Flash Player for Mozella???

Go to my Topic "Method to do a Fresh Install of Macromedia"

On the Macromedia Web Page link included in my topic I notice they have the "Flash Player" for "Netscape/Mozilla/Opera/CompuServe"

I understand Firefox/Mozella is of the same programming?

Hope may assist?

Collapse -
Have Flashplayer 8 and Shockwave Player 10.1 in two places
by DarCLew2 / June 26, 2006 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Goofy Flash behavior

1} C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed
2] My Sceenname(user)\Application Data\macromedia
You may want to copy it for All Users\Application Data\, that is were Windows Genuine Advantage is at.
It is similar to what happened to my attws cell when it was bought by Cingular. The phone was purchased at the same time as Cingular's billing to me-without rollover minutes. Anytime one company buys another, problems do occur. HP bought Compaq and I had problems with that also. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Maybe Flash player 9 didn't install properly
by sparrow301 / January 17, 2007 11:41 AM PST

Odd thing. I was looking for ANYTHING that would restart the Flash Player.
When I uninstalled it kept telling me that Flash9b.ocx was still running.
I had CursorXP installed on my system and on a hunch just shut it down and uninstalled it. The Flash uninstaller suddenly just finished on its own.
Still, when I installed Flash again I never got the screen that asks your age, etc. so I don't know if it's fixed yet. I do know that I've closed and reopened the browser and Youtube is still working.
I'll keep you updated.

Was CursorXP using Flash? Maybe it was still using Flash 8. we'll see...

Collapse -
Hours later
by sparrow301 / January 17, 2007 1:13 PM PST

So far so good.

Collapse -
26 hours later
by sparrow301 / January 18, 2007 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: Hours later

All good.

Yay!

Collapse -
To DmSetup, post deleted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 21, 2008 10:17 PM PDT

Three things;

1] You talk about Vista's UAC, but this is/was an XP problem.

2] The problem was posted in 2006, so I doubt it still exists now.

3] I'm not convinced about about offering scripts for download. Dangerous things, scripts, especially if users don't know what they are doing.

For all that, the post is deleted.

Mark

Collapse -
Flash problem
by DmSetup / August 21, 2008 10:45 PM PDT

Hello mark.

I didnt saw that i am in the wrong forum. My post was about ie7 users on vista, and belive me, there are a lot of them.

I run a group of security experts wich is known as DmSetup. google gor 'dmsetup undernet' and you will see thousands of pages recommanding us ( http://dmsetup.org )

Source code of the vbs script is posted on http://acsparis.com/downloads/flashfix.vbs

this means that we should be somehow trusted before removing one post.
Go and check the flashfix.exe with any antivirus you want, you`ll see that inside of it its this flashfix.vbs as I posted.

Anyway ill post the fix on other websites if you guys are noobs enough to remove one link before checking if it`s a malware or not.

Collapse -
DmSetup...
by John.Wilkinson / August 22, 2008 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash problem

Our policy is that we do not permit direct links to executables or scripts unless they come from a known, trusted source like Microsoft, TrendMicro, etc. I am not familiar with DmSetup, and the 1,980 results from a Google search showed mostly foreign languages, self-referencing posts, and comments from anonymous individuals who have yet to master the art of forming complete sentences. And from the descriptions I read, the IRC channel consists primarily of anonymous volunteers, not known-reputable security experts. Thus, DmSetup does not automatically receive our trust/respect.

Secondly, the links you posted are on an unknown third-party website. acsparis.com requires a login, the acsparis.com/downloads cannot be found, and Google found nothing except the site itself, your post, and several cases of spam. Nothing immediately indicates it's controlled by the DmSetup volunteers, or that the "Chip" that submitted the content is legitimate. And since the content could, presumably, be changed at any time, us reviewing it now does not mean it would still be legitimate later. Thus, unless we trust the source, it just won't stick.

Finally, the forum policies prohibit self-promotion. Now that you've revealed you run the group, and drudged up this 2-year-old thread to recommend your own site/work, when it's not relevant to the discussion in the first place, there's a secondary reason for removal.

You can post recommendations for your own services elsewhere, but I suggest that you:
1.) Read the site's/forums's policies/TOS before posting.
2.) Read the discussion to ensure what you're posting is actually relevant.
3.) Read the date of submission to avoid helping a ghost of years past.

That will help you avoid looking like a noob.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.