Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Question

Flash player "Movie not loaded" in Chrome on certain pages

by AppleG7 / March 30, 2013 1:44 PM PDT

When tryingto load a video in Chrome I get a blank window and a "movie not loaded" message when I right click. The video doesn't work in Firefox or IE either. It just doesn't display the player at all.

Youtube works though and I can see the test flash animation on adobe's website but it's not working on a specific website ( any pages on games.crossfit.com). I tried I uninstalled Flash using Revo and reinstalling it, running CCleaner, disabling hardware acceleration, updating Chrome and deleting flash player's stored data.

I read some where that it might be network/firewall related but I wouldn't know how to investigate that.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash player "Movie not loaded" in Chrome on certain pages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash player "Movie not loaded" in Chrome on certain pages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I've seen this on a few sites.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 2:26 AM PDT

The site was the issue, not the person's computer. It was a shame because the owner could not accept the answer even when we showed it failing on our laptops (yes, plural.) Since we didn't own the site, we could not fix the web site.
Bob

Collapse -
Did it work on certain computers though?
by AppleG7 / March 31, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

The videos work for my friends. I guess I can always try to contact support for this website.

Collapse -
Remember
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 2:45 AM PDT

We only know what you tell. In the case I supplied the site failed on everyone's computer.

Some sites don't work till you sign up or friend them on Facebook.

I know this is awful but if you want more folk to pitch in, supply enough detail for folk to make better guesses.
Bob

Collapse -
What details could be useful?
by AppleG7 / March 31, 2013 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Remember

I'm willing to provide any information that may be useful, I'm just unsure as to what that info might be. I don't think I've made any changes to my computer settings lately besides switching from Avast to AVG Free a couple of weeks ago. The problems started just this week.

I use google Chrome version 26.0.1410.43 m and Firefox 19.0.2 with Flash Player 11.6.602.180.

The website doesn't require you to log in in any way. http://games.crossfit.com/video/open-workout-134-video-submission-demo You should be able to view the video.

Collapse -
Java
by AppleG7 / March 31, 2013 5:40 AM PDT

I remembered I also updated Java this week. The website seems to use Java so I reverted to Java 7 update 15. It did not fix the problem but is it possible it's Java related?

Collapse -
Re: Java
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Java

Unlikely it's Java related. Flash doesn't use Java, and if I load it, it doesn't activate Java.

I'd just go back with System Restore to one week ago.

Kees

Collapse -
Tried system restore...
by AppleG7 / March 31, 2013 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Java

I tried 2 different system restore points and they both failed. I finally tried a third one in safe mode and it said it was succesful. However I see undo restore points for the two failed attempts but not for that third one that was succesful. Shouldn't I have 3 undo restore points?

When I went to select the disk to restore it said
Partition_1(C:) (system) Ready to restore
(Partition_1(C:) The disk cannot be found

I did a system restore a few weeks ago when the Avast update was making Windows Vista 64 freeze at start up and I don't remember seeing that disk cannot be found line.

I do have two disk Partition_1 (C:) and Recovery (D:) which is the Gateway recovery stuff.

Sadly it did not fix the flash player problem (maybe it didn't go far enough. I know for sure it worked on the 20th but my restore points only went as far back as the 23rd) and now Chrome says the profile could not be opened correctly. Should I do another restore point to earlier today?

Collapse -
system restore
by AppleG7 / March 31, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

The Partition_1(C:) (Missing) shows in the available disks in system protection. SHould I just uncheck it?

Thank you for the help. I'm in way over my head with this.

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't know.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: system restore

As for Chrome having trouble opening the profile, I'd first try to update Chrome to the latest version. If that doesn't help, and it's your only problem, delete the Chrome profile.

But going back to earlier today (if possible) is a better solution.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!
by AppleG7 / April 1, 2013 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, I don't know.

Went back to an earlier version and everything works fine. I guess I'll just live with the Flash problems for now!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I was having the same problem
by NoleeOfAraya / February 12, 2014 11:18 AM PST

I realize this is an old thread; however, I just went into incognito mode on Chrome and it worked. I couldn't get Flash movies to load on any browser and no matter what I cleaned out, restored, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.