Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

Flash Player 11 doesn't install.

by llockler / November 11, 2011 6:49 AM PST

Vista/IE9. Reloaded PC about 2 months ago. Haven't been able to play videos since. Have uninstalled Flash, rebooted, and reloaded from multiple sites - several at Adobe, Enet, and standalone reload from forum comments. Have reverted to IE8. Same results. Upgraded to IE9. Same results. Have run Norton registry cleaner and Ccleaner.

llockler has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash Player 11 doesn't install.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash Player 11 doesn't install.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by llockler

Collapse -
Try this test.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 11, 2011 8:49 PM PST

Go here;

You may have to wait for the page to load then Refresh the page. If you see the animation then Flash is installed correctly and works.

In that case, right click the animation, select Settings, make sure the first, (left hand) tab is chosen, then remove the tick for "Enable hardware acceleration". Retest on any online video site.

Does that work?

Collapse -
No animation
by llockler / November 12, 2011 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: Try this test.

No animation appears on the <a href="" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><font color="#2964bf"></font></a> page, even after refreshing. Also, at the top of the window the following appears
"an error occurred while processing this directive"
Still can't view videos.
Any other suggestions? (thanks for your help)

Collapse -
Let's try the Adobe Removal Tool
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 12, 2011 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: No animation

But before we do, can you get any videos to play from the hard disk or anything you have elsewhere?

I don't mean online in a browser, I mean video files you have yourself. If not, then this may well be a video driver problem.

You say you reloaded Vista a couple of months ago. Why was that necessary?

How did you do this reinstall, what was the process you used? Windows does need drivers and these are usually held on a separate CD.

Assuming you can play videos, try the Adobe Removal tool at

You may need to check whether you are running Vista 32 bit or 64 bit and tat page tells you how to do that.

Download the right file and save it to your hard disk. The Desktop is a good 'temporary' storage area. Close down all browsers and any other open applications and run that removal tool.

After it's done, reboot, (restart), the computer. This updates the registry and any System files.

Return to that Adobe web site and follow the links to test the uninstallation, then follow the link to reinstall Flash.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Can play wav files and DVD's on Microsoft Media Player
by llockler / November 13, 2011 10:41 AM PST

I have Vista Home Premium (32).

Collapse -
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2011 8:05 PM PST

about this computer, age, make and model and hardware, eg what hard drive is installed, SATA, SSD?

Check if DMA Mode is available and enabled on the hard drive. Look at the link below for guidance how to do that;

Even if DMA mode is enabled, try the 'switch' method. Disable DMA mode, click OK then return immediately to re-enable DMA mode. A reboot might be required after re-enabling to see if it has worked.

If a reinstall back to factory settings hasn't worked properly then may be there are hardware issues.

Collapse -
I forgot.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2011 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Tell us more

I asked if videos play ayway, eg videos held on the hard drive. If not, what happens?

Collapse -
Playing videos
by llockler / November 14, 2011 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: I forgot.

Can play any file that Windows Media Player recognizes. Any file needing Flash won't play.

Collapse -
PC info & DMA enabled
by llockler / November 14, 2011 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: Tell us more

Toshiba Satellite L305D, 4 yrs old, Western Digital 141GB drive (WDC WD1600 BEVS-26VAT0 ATA Device).

Collapse -
Tried Using The Manual Flash Installer Like This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 2:08 AM PST

First, if you haven't already, visit the link below, then download the Flash uninstaller tool. After downloading, then uninstall Flash using the tool.

Once that's done, then click on the links below to download the standalone installers for Flash. If you use more than one type of browser, you need to download BOTH installation files and run them.

Please note: Clicking on the links below will immediately open the download dialogue window.

For Internet Explorer:

For Firefox and other non-IE browsers:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by llockler / November 14, 2011 10:24 AM PST

Guys, I really appreciate your interest in this problem.

Collapse -
Just A Thought Or Two...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Uninstaller

Have you also installed the latest Java? If not, please do.. Some of those Flash videos also require Java applets to function.

Disabled the Windows firewall yet? If not, please disable it from the Control Panel.. The Norton product should have it's own firewall.

We've also seen a few issues like yours with Norton products .. Just for giggles, try uninstalling Norton and see if it allows the videos to run correctly. Simply disabling won't help.. It will need to be uninstalled. You can reinstall it afterwards if it doesn't help.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
no such luke
by llockler / November 16, 2011 1:15 PM PST

I thought I had it for a moment. Did all of the above to no avail. Then unistalled Norton and tried again. Nada. Then tried to reinstall Norton and it failed. Said I needed to run their "deep cleaner". I did and then the reload on Norton when smoothly. But upon reinstalling Flash again, I still can't reload Flash.

Collapse -
If Norton Won't Reinstall Either... That's A Clue...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: no such luke

It's sounding more like you have a malware problem.. If you haven't already, please follow the steps below and see what you find:

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.Once
downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to
the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file
to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and
the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the
problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the
update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

Manual Update

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Super Antispyware
by llockler / November 20, 2011 12:13 PM PST

thanks for the continued interest. Got the same results. Super Antispyware did find one spyware and about 30 cookies. I ran Norton again and it found an additional dozen cookies. If my son-in-law can't help, I think I will go through the reload of Windows again. I've done this multiple times (on different PCs) an never had any problems. I'll keep you posted of the solution.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
I have the same question
by shiyanni / November 20, 2011 8:04 PM PST
In reply to: Super Antispyware

I have the same question

Collapse -
(NT) And You Ran Rkill & Malwarebytes Also?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: Super Antispyware
Collapse -
Rkill and Malwarebytes
by llockler / November 22, 2011 1:30 PM PST

Yes. I have a 3rd notebook that I reloaded the system onto the same time as I did the one I'm having a problem with. But have put nothing else on that PC except Norton. I used it to download Rkill and Malwarebytes on a thumb drive. I then ran those two programs from the thumb drive in the problem PC in the protected mode. After rebooting, I went to Cnet and reinstalled Flash. Flash again said it was installed and running. I then went to Youtube and tried to play a Flash video. Got the same alert that I needed to load Flash.

Collapse -
A Question That Should Have Been Asked Earlier
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 23, 2011 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstaller

Is this a 64 bit computer? If so, which version of Internet Explorer are you using? Both versions of IE require a separate installation of Flash.. If you're opening the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer, then you need to install the 64 bit version of Flash.. And in most cases, it's better to use the 32 bit version of IE to run Flash videos from anyway..

Hope thi shelps.

Collapse -
Vista 32-bit
by llockler / November 24, 2011 1:24 PM PST

Home Premium. About 4 yrs old, w/automatic updates from Microsoft.

Collapse -
Found a solution!
by llockler / November 26, 2011 2:13 PM PST
In reply to: Vista 32-bit

From a Microsoft community site - create a new user. Still working to get the same setup (favorites, background, etc.). I have no clue why this worked.

Collapse -
(NT) It Means Your Previous Profile Was Corrupted...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Found a solution!
Collapse -
Another answer to this problem
by Lynda99 / May 1, 2012 2:37 AM PDT

Flash is flatout not supported in Vista 64 bit, and several other OS. ... "can't install flash 11 vista" for several ways to fix this.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.