Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Flash MP3 for Working out

by psuscott16 / April 22, 2009 2:12 AM PDT

I am looking to buy an Flash MP3 player for my mother in law for mother's day. I am looking to spend $50-100. It doesnt need to play movies, but I would like to find one with a FM tuner. 1GB of memory should be plenty of space.

I wanted to get opinions on armbands vs clips vs pocket for use with working out and running. It appears that is the major difference between the different types. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash MP3 for Working out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash MP3 for Working out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I like the SanDisk Sansa Clip
by ktreb / April 22, 2009 5:50 AM PDT

You should be able to find a 2GB for under $50...maybe under $40 if you look hard enough. Has a built in clip as well as an fm tuner.

I prefer clip players over ones to use with armbands while working out. They're smaller but still fairly easy to use "on the run." I find armbands to be cumbersome if I want to make changes (volume, playlist, radio, etc). That said, I do use a larger player (iPod Touch) for the majority of my workouts (walking, elliptical trainer) but I do not use an armband. I place it on the machine, use an unfashionable fanny pack, and on longer walks (over 6 miles) I put it in a pocket on my Camelpak. I still have easy access to controls. If I do weights, rowing machine , or run on treadmill or outdoors I do switch to a clip player.

Collapse -
Sansa Clip
by psuscott16 / April 23, 2009 12:16 AM PDT

Thanks for the input, the more I read the more that sounds like the way to go. Appreciate the info.

Collapse -
Sansa Clip..... fo sho
by smitbret / April 24, 2009 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Sansa Clip

There's really only two players in this game and the Ipod doesn't have an FM tuner. Other than styling, the Clip annihilates everything else in this class.

Collapse -
Sansa Clip
by forkboy1965 / April 25, 2009 8:07 AM PDT

Using an arm band with my Sony MP3 player and then trying my wife's Sansa Clip, I too think the Clip is a better choice for working out with.

I purchased the Clip for the wife and she has been very, very satisfied with it. It sounds fine, has a screen for navigation, has FM radio, and doesn't require any proprietary software to run on your desktop PC.

It's a win-win in our book.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.