Computer Help forum

General discussion

Flash installs but doesn't work

by Gerardo_U / September 1, 2010 4:20 AM PDT

In advanced, I originally posted on Browser section, but there's not that much traffic in there so I'm hoping to have better luck here. I couldn't find a way to close the other thread.

Having a problem with flash player displaying web media. It shows as it being installed, but it just won't work, when I use the flash site, it just cycles through their 'thank you' download page. There's no popup blockage, the yellow ie download bar doesn't show, and no prompt for download.

My system is a Windows Vista-32 (admin rights), up-to-date IE. Using Norton Internet Security (disabled during installation process), and Malwarebyte.

So far, this is what I've tried from reading the forums.
1. full system scan using both norton & malware
2. uninstall utility for FP & manual removal of leftover folders
3. clean reinstall of FP (using both web base and manual file download)
4. uninstall old version & installed latest java
5. used microsoft utility 'subinacl' along with 'reset_fp' to fix any registry errors (5 errors found & fixed)

after all these attempts, I'm still not able to see flash content. I don't get any error messages while downloading & installing FP. And when I go to the /about page, it does show that flash is installed.

I'm not sure of what else to try, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I originally posted on Browser (;forum-threads) section, but there's not that much traffic in there so I'm hoping to have better luck here. I couldn't find a way to close the other thread.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash installs but doesn't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash installs but doesn't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Doing It This Way...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

First uninstall your current Flash by downloading and running the standalone Adobe Flash Uninstaller from the link below:

After that's done, then download the standalone installer for Internet Explorer from the link below:

(Please note, clicking on the links below will immediately bring up a download dialogue window.)

If you also have Firefox, Opera, or some other browser that doesn't support ActiveX, download the standalone installer from the link below and install it also.

Once that's done, then visit the site below using all your browsers, just to make sure Flash is working.. If it works correctly at the site below, showing "Successfully installed", then the other sites which request something different are incorrect.

If after trying the steps above you're still not seeing Flash content, please provide the links to which you're having problems.

One other note, if you're having issues with just certain pages, make sure you're not using a HOSTS file which is blocking advertisements at the beginning of the content.. If such blocking occurs, it frequently prevents ANY content from playing at that particular site.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
tried that, didn't work...
by Gerardo_U / September 1, 2010 5:09 PM PDT

all of those steps work fine, without error messages, but when I go to the about page, it will display the correct 'version installed' information, but the player itself will now show flash content above. Also, to clarify, I'm using IE8, security settings are set to default (jscript enabled), and flash doesn't work on any page I've tried. And I just tried to reinstall IE8 (along with the FP removal tools) to see if that might be the problem as suggested by Echo, but the problem persists. I did notice one other thing though, so I'm not sure now if it might be a java script problem (or both), but jscript lines (like the ones on microsoft's site to select their tabs) are not working either. To clarify on this, I had also removed old versions of java and reinstalled the latest.

Collapse -
Re: tried that, didn't work...
by Tufenuf / September 2, 2010 12:23 AM PDT

G_Unzueta, Open Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab and scroll all the way down to "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks*" and uncheck it, click Apply/OK. If that doesn't correct the flash problem go back and checkmark it.

Collapse -
Please Clarify...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 12:58 AM PDT

You stated: "but when I go to the about page, it will display the correct 'version installed' information, but the player itself will now show flash content above."

What "about page"? And what flash content will it not show?

For example, assuming you mean the "about page" below, which I provided above, if I click on it here, I see quick display of "Flash Player has loaded successfully" in a large window in the upper left, (which IS Flash content by the way), then some Flash advertisements load.. If you're seeing the "Flash Player has loaded successfully" statement, then you ARE seeing Flash content. Are you seeing such?

If you're not seeing the display at all, in addition to Tufenug's suggestion, then please check the items below:

1. While at the site above, see if you there are problems with the Flash settings by RIGHT clicking on the large window in the upper left, which is supposed to contain Flash content, then select "Global settings" from the menu.. Once at the Global settings page, click on the "Global Security Settings Panel" link in the upper left. Once there, make sure that "Always Deny" is NOT checked. (Mine says "Always Ask".)

2. Open Internet Explorer 8, then select "Open Internet Explorer 8, then click on "Tools", then "Manage Add-Ons". In the "Toolbars section, make sure that all "Adobe" and "Java" items are enabled.

3. Download, install, then install the Flash Player plugin from the link I provided earlier (it's a different download than the Internet Explorer version), on a secondary browser such as the free Firefox browser below. Try out Flash on Firefox.. If it works there, then it's an Internet Explorer issue, not Flash.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
IE is the problem
by Gerardo_U / September 2, 2010 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Please Clarify...

Regarding the about page, yes I was refering to the ...flas/about page. The upper left side would not display the flash content 'flash successfully installed', but just below that there is a small box that displays the version info, which did show the correct version installed.

I tried Tufenug's suggestion, no change.

For your #1 step, because the flash content did not display on the main upper left section, the global settings shortcut did not show, but the smaller version info box did. I went in there, tried clicking the global security link, which only brought me back to the 'you must have flash installed' window.

#2, all addons are properly enabled.

#3. installed firefox, then installed flash from your links (the one for non-ie browsers). I then went to flash site, which requested I isntall their download manager, which then reinstalled flash again anyways. But after all of this, yes I have flash content available on Firefox.

So now, if this means it's is IE's problem, is there a way to fix it? Keeping in mind that one of the things I had tried was to reinstall IE8 straight from microsoft's site, is there a way to do a clean-reinstall or to remove the corrupted one first?

Collapse -
To Uninstall, Then Reinstall IE8 On Vista..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: IE is the problem

First, download the full Vista 32 bit IE8 installer from the link below. (Select your country and operating system). Download the file to your desktop and save it there.

Next, access the Control Panel-Programs and Features section, then uninstall IE8. It should be listed as "Windows Internet Explorer 8". The browser will automatically revert back to IE7 which came with the original Vista. After doing so, restart the computer, then reinstall IE8 using the downloaded installer.

Once it's reinstalled, be sure to visit the Windows Update site and reinstall any Critical Windows Updates for IE8.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
no luck
by Gerardo_U / September 2, 2010 10:27 AM PDT

IE was not listed under the regular uninstall/change section of 'programs & features', I did find it however under 'view installed updates'. I uninstalled it throught there, and double checked to make sure that what was leftover was IE7 (which it was). I reset all settings for IE7 just to make sure, then reinstalled IE8 from your link. Checked for updates, settings, and made sure all addons were enabled. Still, the problem remains. Any other things that I might be able to try?

Collapse -
In Such Situations Here...We Start From Scratch..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 4, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: no luck

Because registry cleaners and other attempted "fixes" will frequently cause the issue, we usually take everything back to it's original state. Start with a "repair" install using the operating system disc or if that doesn't work, use the recovery discs to take things back to factory condition.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
The Flash player...
by Papa Echo / September 1, 2010 9:22 AM PDT

... installs as a "plug-in" for a browser. You may have to reinstall/repair the browser. From what you described, it looks like it has not been properly installed. Make sure that the version of Flash player is compatible with the browser you are using to download it.

Collapse -
Thats Strange
by LakesReg / September 2, 2010 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: The Flash player...

I was able to download it even with leaving on my Norton firewall

Collapse -
Here is our fix
by ycsoftware / September 7, 2010 12:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Tried it, didn't work...
by Gerardo_U / September 9, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is our fix

Thanks, I had tried that actually, but like everything else id didn't work. Had to resort to a full windows reinstall, which did solve the problem. Thanks just the same to everyone who tried to help on this one.

Collapse -
by ycsoftware / September 9, 2010 6:15 PM PDT

Honestly i would hate to reinstall an entire operating system just to have flash working with IE unless of course the entire system is compromised. I would rather use a different browser for a while until i find a way to find the issue. Then again i have more than 300 programs installed it will take me forever to reinstall them, which may not be the case for you.

Did you reboot the machine right after you uninstall the software (adobe does not ask you to reboot)? and this is most important step.

Also i am running windows7 32 bit not vista could that make a difference?.

Also if you have your manufacturer's original vista disk you might be able to repair windows instead of completly reinstall.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.