Storage forum

General discussion

Flash drive or memory stick?

by pupskweek / January 13, 2010 3:45 AM PST

what is the difference between a flash drive and a memory stick? I want one to do 2 things: back up my computer stuff and also use on a digital picture frame. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash drive or memory stick?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash drive or memory stick?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're going want a flash drive
by Steven Haninger / January 13, 2010 6:59 AM PST

if you want to plug into a USB port. Memory sticks are generally for such as digital cameras and come in a variety of pin insertion types. These are such as CF (compact flash) If your digital frame has a USB port too, the flash drive can transfer images from your PC and you plug that into the port on the frame. I've seen the terms used interchangeably but they really don't refer to the same thing. The word "Memory Stick" is actually a Sony term. "Flash card" is the term used for others such as digital cameras use. Hope that helps. I know it can be confusing.

Collapse -
Flash drive
by pupskweek / January 13, 2010 7:21 AM PST

Thanks, Steve! That's what I wanted to know--Pups

Collapse -
Additionally
by Steven Haninger / January 13, 2010 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Flash drive

I had to look up some digital frames at Newegg. I don't have one myself and didn't know what type of memory you'd need. Most seem to take the types found in cameras such as secure digital and other types. Some will do USB but no all. So now you get to make a decision. If you have a digital camera, you probably download the pictures from that via USB cable to your PC. But, the camera has a flash card that may fit directly into many digital frames. What you'd want to consider is a USB flash card reader. These allow you to plug the flash card into the reader and the reader into a USB port on your PC so you can transfer them directly. Hope that doesn't add more to the confusion. Good luck.

Collapse -
digital picture frame reader
by pupskweek / January 14, 2010 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Additionally

I thought I had already answered you but I guess it went off into cyberspace, I am really slow about computer stuff. Your second reply is very appreciated, it did kinda confuse me but after I read it again, I think I have it figured out. Thanks a lot!! Pups

Collapse -
Flash drive or memory stick?
by Norm.Smith / January 15, 2010 6:01 PM PST

This is one time the computer industry does itself no credit. Memory stick is misused. all USB "sticks" are really Flash drives. They store data fr4om any give source. The data is permanently available until deleted.
A memory stick, so called, is to hold data in memory as long as there is electricity to hold it. The RAM card and the CMOS are the most common forms of memory holder. The CMOS (a file in a chip) has its own battery, and, the RAM works only while the PC is powered on.
The use of memory stick is very misleading - think Flash Drive

Norm

Collapse -
Sorry but that just adds confusion
by Steven Haninger / January 15, 2010 10:12 PM PST

A memory "stick" refers to memory types that retain their contents without power applied. Perhaps you are thinking of another misuse and that is RAM memory when people refer to buying or replacing a "stick" of memory and not a "memory stick". The proper term is probably "module". Motherboard RAM does require a certain level of DC voltage to retain its contents. The term "memory stick" in the flash memory arena was coined and used by Sony to distinguish their proprietary type from others as this emerging technology was developing and competing for market share. Compact flash, secure digital and it's variants were popular in that market. These were designed for portable devices which include cameras, cell phones, PDAs, etc. These use flash "cards" and not flash drives. A USB flash drive is seen as a drive letter in a PC. A flash card adapter, either internal or external, for a PC also shows the card as a drive letter.
In any event, don't confuse a "stick of memory" with a "memory stick". The terms refer to different memory types.

Collapse -
Flash drive
by pupskweek / January 16, 2010 2:52 AM PST

OK, thanks, I think I've got it. Maybe. I did look at digital picture frames and they have 2 types, one of them uses a "flash drive" which as you said to think "flash drive" must be what I want. So I'll get a flash drive. I think! No, I really believe I've got it!

Thanks a lot--Pups

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.