Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Flash audio in Firefox not working- confuddled.

by tcardone05 / May 9, 2007 3:02 PM PDT

I am running Windows Vista HP, and in Firefox I cannot get the audio to play on ANY flash videos (Youtube). The videos play fine, but NO SOUND. Opera and IE7 work fine. What's stranger still, I have a regular version of Firefox on my Kingston flash drive, and on the same computer the audio will work. So I tried copying the Firefox install folder from the flash drive to replace the one in Program Files, but it still won't work. This is obviously not a problem with hardware since it will work on everything but Firefox on the C: drive. I doubt that it's pc-cillin security, since it works on the Firefox installed in my flash drive. Any suggestions? It's got me stumped. I've clean uninstalled firefox as per MozillaZine suggestions, and uninstalled Adobe Flash Player and reinstalled it several times to no avail. It's not a big deal, but it's a little hassle to go to the G drive instead of the shortcut on my Start menu. I would continue to use Opera, but so many pages render weird. And IE7... it's IE7. Any help is appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Flash audio in Firefox not working- confuddled.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Flash audio in Firefox not working- confuddled.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ericishere / October 17, 2007 12:15 PM PDT

Same exact issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

Collapse -
I don't have Vista but
by PudgyOne / October 17, 2007 6:45 PM PDT

my sister does. She hasn't complained so I'll tell you what I did to her laptop.

Get the latest Java

Now go here and download and save this program to your desktop.

It will search your computer and help you install the latest programs that are installed on your computer. Please be selective. Install the FREE ones and the programs that you have that are paid, I would let the program itself update. If you don't, you may have to pay for it again.

After all the updates are complete, restart your computer and try it.

Let me know how you made out.

Collapse -
keep it simple?
by bashfoc2 / May 16, 2009 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't have Vista but

I had exactly but a reinstall of adobe flash fixed the problem... i know it seems most have tried this already but maybe give it another go? Sorry if i'm being a little patronising here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.