TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Fixing dts hd master audio issue with nad t187

by trum4pet / April 23, 2013 12:04 PM PDT

Hi - I just purchased a nad t187 preamp and am having issues when playing dts hd master audio tracks. My set up is as follows:
Samsung bd-c6900 blu ray player
Connected by hdmi to the t187
Which is connected to samsung pnc8000 plasma HDTV
I have no problem when playing lossy dts or dolby digital. But when I choose the "bitstream (audiophile)" option in the player so it will send the lossless dts hd and Dolby true tracks to the t187, the sound constantly stutters. Turned off the CEC option on all three and the stuttering continued. I've read on other forums that some people have had issues with the Samsung Bd-c6900 outputting dts hd, but before I go spend more money on a new blu ray player I'd like to first see if anyone has any thoughts on a potential fix and/or if I might be wrong and the blu ray player isn't the issue. I have tried switching hdmi cables, by this didn't work. I have the latest firmware in the TV and blu ray player. Only way I've gotten it to work has been to unplug the hdmi cable from the TV, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Makes me think it might be a hdmi handshake issue, but not sure why this cable might be the issue as its downstream of the receiver. However if I stop playback after I do this and restart the stutter comes back. I've switched his cable out too and still have the same issue. Finally if I skip a chapter on the blu ray disc this usually fixes the problem as well. After working through this over the past few days, I'm coming to the conclusion that probably need to replace the blue ray player and am looking at the integra 30.3 and oppo 103. Hopefully one of these is compatible with the t187. Appreciate anyone's thought on what the next steps might be and if getting a new player might fix the issue. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fixing dts hd master audio issue with nad t187
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fixing dts hd master audio issue with nad t187
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 4:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by trum4pet / April 24, 2013 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

Thanks Bob. I tried them earlier and they weren't aware of any issues. That was before I figured out I could fix the issue by fooling with the cabling or skipping a chapter so I'll try them again and see what suggestions they have to offer.

Collapse -
When fooling with the cabling works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

That points to issues outside the boxes in play. But there is a tar pit area of audio pass through on TVs. I will not go into that area (it's a tar pit!) but suffice it to say you can't expect any more than stereo pass through on the TV. Why this is, is well discussed and you may get more but it's not a sure area.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
ARC options
by mjd420nova / April 24, 2013 11:36 PM PDT

Many units have the ARC options and this is what leads to the stuttering. Unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI connector forces the units to re-sync and the problem goes away. This isn't that uncommon and it is a result of a standard that tries to handshake with other devices that don't have a provision to reset things for each channel as they are selected.

Collapse -
True, but does this model have ARC?
by Pepe7 / April 25, 2013 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: ARC options

I didn't see it in the manual at first glance. Maybe NAD buries it somewhere though.

cheers

Collapse -
ARC possibility
by trum4pet / April 25, 2013 4:37 AM PDT

I also thought it might be an ARC issue as the t187 does support it. I turned it off in the menu on the t187 and also on TV and it didn't work. I also tried to use one of the non-ARC HDMI inputs on the TV and that didn't solve the issue either. Frustrating to say the least.

I've been doing some more research and another forum on AVS on the blu ray player indicates a bunch of folks having similar issues with it when trying to use Onkyo receivers. They don't have stuttering, but lose audio altogether. Again they report it only happens with dts master audio and dolby true formats for them as well. This again makes me think its the blu ray player. I've decided I'm gonna give it a shot and replace it this weekend with a new one from integra. Only choosing that one as the dealer is using it with a t187 in their store and not having any issues. In addition to the stuttering problem, when I play an Eagles concert blu ray I just purchased the player has a lot of trouble loading it. Sometimes it kicks it back saying it doesn't meet spec. I'm planning to bring that with me as kind of a check on the integra. Not sure it will really mean anything if it works correctly, but at least it may make me feel a little better about spending money on a new player.

Collapse -
Have you tried an Oppo yet?
by Pepe7 / April 25, 2013 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: ARC possibility

Absolutely fabulous players, with awesome support IME.

Collapse -
Oppo
by trum4pet / April 25, 2013 10:36 AM PDT

Yep. I've heard they were great. Probably would be my first choice, but a little skittish about buying off the Internet with this issue going on. Just thinking it would be easier to take the integra back if I still had issues with it along with the nad to the same store. Other than that reason, I would probably go with the oppo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.