TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Fix my old Denon receiver or buy new one?

by jecape / October 25, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

I have a Denon AVR 2800, about 7 yrs old (5.1 ch, 85watts), which was near top of the line when I bought it (cost me around $700-800).

It has burned out and needs repair, which estimates are about $165-$200.

I have considered purchasing a new one, but I can't afford it's equivalent because I just spent $1800 on a new HDTV.

My question is this - should I fix what I have - a very good receiver with some age - OR - spend an extra $100 or so and buy a "low end" receiver? If I bought Denon's 587 at $299, would I notice any difference in that versus my 7 year old 2800 model?

I do not use my receiver for video, and I do not care about 6.1 or 7.1 surround right now - I'm not adding any speakers to my current set up - I'm only interested in running TV and DVD audio through it.

Suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fix my old Denon receiver or buy new one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fix my old Denon receiver or buy new one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gee, on the horns of a dilemma
by NM_Bill / October 25, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

Bad luck with a receiver of that quality by reputation.

A new basic Denon would give you XM radio ready & an iPod port if with optional iDock, but no quite the "meat" of the 2800 series level.

A most important consideration to me would be if your estimate is from the best repair shop around. It's like finding the best mechanic for your car. Like here in Albuquerque, one quality dealer has in house techs. However, by bringing up the subject at a high end dealer who doens't have a shop, he quickly mentions the repairer who, in his mind is the very best.

In the past my dealer was a retired electrical engineer. He was really good at fixes & brutally objective & honest with opinions.

If your repairer qualifies as one of the competently best, I'd defer to his opinion. Worth repair or not? One of lifes little dilemmas.

I currently have Denon A/V receivers. I even still have perfectly good Rotel & NAD units of 30 years vintage. Too lazy to find them a new home when bitten by newness fever.

I'd consider repair . Hope your reliance factor about the repairer is to the above mentioned criteria.

Collapse -
It is a certified repair co.
by jecape / October 25, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

Hi-Fi buys is who I spoke with (Tweeter.com) and they are certified to repair Denons.

They weren't definitive one way or the other...they didn't discourage repair, but also wanted to try and sell me the $1000 replacement of this Denon (they don't carry the 'low end' Denons) because of the upgrades in hook-ups (hdmi) and expanded channels - all things I like, but just can't afford right now.

They ultimately said I'd be dissatisfied with a lesser system than the one I have now - I tend to believe them, but they couldn't tell me whether or not I could tell a diff. between a 'low end' Denon 587 versus my older 2800 (75watts vs 85 watts per ch.)

Collapse -
Do your speakers need all that power?
by carib909 / March 1, 2008 4:29 AM PST

The real key is the power requirements of your speakers. 10 watts is negligible! You will not notice any difference what so ever in 10 watts. Buy the cheaper newer Denon and get on with it.

Collapse -
A rock and a hard place you are!!!
by jcrobso / October 25, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

As Mr Bill said: who gave you the estimate?
In todays market $300 will buy a lot of AV Reciver.
Maybe not as much power as your AVR2800, but sill a lot AV Reciver.
Will you hear the difference??? This depends on a couple of things, how big is your room, how efficent are your spekers and how loud do you normaily run your system?

Just some FYI: The difference in sound level between 60watts and 85watts is about 1db.

Most of the power is used for bass, this is where a good sub woffer comes in.
In most cases I don't think you could hear the difference. John

Collapse -
75 watts vs 85 watts
by jecape / October 25, 2006 6:35 AM PDT

Currently I have what I'd call a relatively small room (20x15?).

I have two small girls who I like to keep asleep after 8pm, so I don't crank my system up to very high levels.. Happy

I feel like I have very good speakers - Polk S8s for the front, Boston Acoutics center speaker (dont' remem. model - cost about $300), Polk 6 rear speakers & subwoofer (cheap).

Collapse -
75 watts vs 85 watts
by jcrobso / October 25, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: 75 watts vs 85 watts

You will not hear the difference, go with new Dennon.
John

Collapse -
CONTACT DENON FOR REPAIR
by stewart norrie / October 25, 2006 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: 75 watts vs 85 watts

They will repair it for a set fee with factory parts and you know the repair will be done rite steweee

Collapse -
IMHO, I WOULDN'T SPEND A NICKEL TO REPAIR A SOLID STATE...
by Riverledge / October 25, 2006 9:24 AM PDT

ELECTONIC COMPONENT. Too much new technology exists to justify the cost repairing a 7 year old receiver.
Also, consider ONKYO and NAD as possible replacements.

Good shopping, river.

Collapse -
Correct Me If I'm Wrong But.....
by RoadRunner6 / October 25, 2006 7:07 PM PDT

.....that AVR 2800 is a THX certified Denon with Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II? These are all you need for your stated music uses plus the other surround settings. It will have a much better amp than the new 587, however, you probably would not hear the difference in 95% of music playback. The AVR 2800 would probably list for about $1100 now.

The only drawback is that is might have a fixed 80Hz sub crossover point but that would only be a negative if you get a small satellite/ sub system in the future which needed a higher crossover.

You didn't mention exactly what the problem is, that would be of interest? Sometimes the repair joints lowball the quote and then up the charge later, that could be a problem. If it definitely no more than $165-175, I would repair it.

Otherwise, I would add $30 to your pot and look at this receiver below. BTW, I own a Denon AVR-3200 and like Denon products except for their lousy remotes.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Yamaha_HTR_5960_Receiver_Black,__18407558/sort_type=bottomline

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRX-V659p1.php

The HTR-5960 and the RX-V659 are the same exact receiver with different model numbers and looks to fool the public. They are sold thru different classes of dealers. (Denon does the same thing).

RR6

Collapse -
re: correct me if i'm wrong but....
by jecape / October 25, 2006 11:04 PM PDT

I don't recall it being "thx certified" when I bought it. It has Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic, PCM, etc -- don't think it has Pro Logic II.

The problem is it is no longer playing audio through any of the rca components or the digital coax component. The tuner (for radio) works fine, so I know the prob. is not in my speakers.

The unit has been repaired once before when it wouldn't power on anymore.

Collapse -
Repaired before may tilt the scales
by NM_Bill / October 26, 2006 2:03 AM PDT

towards disposing of it. Uncertainty about actual repair cost is a factor.

Now if only your replacement budget was just a bit more as to get you into the next model up. Sorry you didn't get the reliability expected from a good Denon.

Collapse -
re:
by jecape / October 26, 2006 2:09 AM PDT

I've not soured on the Denon - I have a suspicion that the wife has something to do w/ it, as often I have found the receiver left on and enclosed in our cabinet (leaving no ventilation for the heat that emits from the unit).

So I'm not blaming Denon for the faults - plus, 7 yrs is a pretty good run w/ one glitch.

Collapse -
Heat Kills Receivers !!! (divorce is the answer)
by RoadRunner6 / October 26, 2006 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

I agree with NM_Bill. I would definitely replace it from what you said.

I would also immediately file for divorce!!! That is an irreconcileable (sp?) problem you have with your wife. It's either your wife or expect continued failure problems with your precious A/V equipment! HappyHappyHappy

RR6

Collapse -
Divorce
by jecape / October 26, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

Consider it done.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.