Computer Help forum

General discussion

Fit page to screen

by chgo29 / September 16, 2006 1:34 AM PDT

Two computers in a home network. Both PC's, using XP Home. Both monitots set to 800x600 pixels resolution. On one computer, a lot of web pages come up bigger than the screen and it's necessary to scroll back and forth horizontally to read it. Cnet is a good example. I have to scroll back and forth to read it. Very frustrating. The other computer most pages come up to fit on the screen pretty good. I can't change the screen to a greater resolution because then the print gets too little and my wife has a problem reading it.
I figure there must be a setting somewhere that says "Fit page to screen" or something like that. Is there? Or is there some other solution? Help would be appreciated. Cliff

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fit page to screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fit page to screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry. You need to change screen sizes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Fit page to screen
Collapse -
Doesn't always work that way
by john_mcdoogle / September 16, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

When you design a web page, there are two ways to position objects on that page. There's absolute and relative positioning.

As you might guess, absolute positioning is where you give hard values to something. So a textbox is say 200 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, no matter what resolution you're running. The appeal of this is that it makes it real easy to put objects on a page in a very specific place. The drawback is that anyone using a different resolution, particularly people using lower resolutions, will experience problems much like you do. And as you might have guessed, Cnet's page design uses absolute positioning which is targeted for a resolution of 1024x768.

If they used RELATIVE positioning, you probably wouldn't have so many problems, because objects would be placed on the page relative to the browser window size. So you'd say that a textbox would be say 10% of the browser window height, and maybe 15% of its width. No matter how small or large the window, the textbox will always have those proportions. The drawback to this design method is that it can take some more work to get things to look the way you want, though I consider the rewards to be well worth it.

I have a 20" LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1600x1200, and Cnet's pages look like absolute crap. I don't have horizontal scrolling, but I have these huge ugly yellow borders around everything. A good 2.5-3" on either side of that ugly dried mustard yellow color. There are also some Firefox specific bugs that could be fixed by using a few really simple CSS tricks, and adding about 1 line of code to the template used to generate all Cnet's pages.

It all boils down to you being at the mercy of the web designer, and very few are going to want to bother catering to someone using 800x600 I'm sorry to say. Most consider 1024x768 to be the minimum resolution worth designing for. Myself included for a website I was recently asked to design. While what I came up with does work fairly well even at 640x480, since I'm a big relative positioning fan, I have no intention of going out of my way to make sure it works at anything lower than 1024x768.

Collapse -
Fit page to screen
by bob b / September 16, 2006 5:39 AM PDT

Screen size is the issue.

I have a 17"'s set to run at 800x600.

If I play with text size I can get most pages (text) to fit the screen and not have to scroll and also not have to have teenage eyeballs to be able to read it.

There is a benny with 800x600 and cnet.
The ads are so far off the screen I don't have to look at them.

Collapse -
Text is wider than screen to read doc. I have to scroll
by DeadBullsEye / April 11, 2010 12:42 PM PDT

I need the text to be as large as it is (aged eyesight) , I can alter the screen width but that makes no difference to the text , how do I shrink the text to fit the screen ? Thanks in advance !

Op; Sys XL

Collapse -
how do I shrink the text to fit the screen ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2010 10:20 PM PDT

You ask "how do I shrink the text to fit the screen ?" but did reveal if this was a browser or other application.

Many browsers use the Control PLUS (the key with + on it) to increase font sizes and Control MINUS to shrink font sizes.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
fitting text to screen
by kmatthe8 / July 14, 2012 3:29 AM PDT

Please help me. I am computer dumb and need to fit upcoming text to my screen. I don't have the ability to scroll back and forth and I cannot read text in order to know what to do.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.