Tablets forum

First time Tablet purchaser and Android up-dates?

by timmylish / December 28, 2012 10:40 AM PST

As one of many being totally confused as to which Tablet to buy, after all the usual attempts to eliminate potential "bombs", the one question I have been unable to have answered, properly is when looking at machines available how do you know if it will have an up-grade from ICS to JB. What has further confused me is just one hour ago reading a punter,s review of a Samsung machine with ICS and he was able to up-grade to JB himself using Kies.
So, before buying a particular machine which only carries ICS, how can you tell if an up-grade is possible?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First time Tablet purchaser and Android up-dates?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First time Tablet purchaser and Android up-dates?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
My advice is simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 3:00 PM PST

Do not buy an ICS tablet if you want JB. It's that simple. You are never sure if the maker will issue that update.

There is no reason to repeat what others have learned about this.

Collapse -
My ICS tablet has updated
by val_w / January 4, 2013 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: My advice is simple.

I bought myself a Samsung galaxy Tab2 at Xmas, and after a couple of days it started updating to JB. It warned me I might "lose" some of the apps i'd installed,so I held my breath, but all was ok. Can't say I noticed any change after the upgrade(it told me it had updated successfully), but am still getting used to it anyway. So far i'm loving it!

Collapse -
Good to hear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 12:47 PM PST

Here my update happened on a well known model and Flash is no more. Ouch.

Collapse -
Buy Google
by baybreeze / January 1, 2013 2:31 AM PST

Buy either a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 by Google. I believe they both come with Jelly Bean. I just bought a Nexus 7 to use in my car as a GPS/entertainment system and I know that has Jelly Bean. You can buy direct from Google or from a store.

Collapse -
Buy Google as suggested?
by timmylish / January 1, 2013 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Buy Google

Many thanks for your responding in a pleasant way, something laking on here of late. In fact I have looked at your suggestions and am interested in buying one but thare are a couple of other machines which also interest me, other than them not having JellyBean. I am still left with the question as to how you can know, in advance, that a machine which only carries ICS may be upgraded to JB soon or at a later date or, if in fact, never. This is really the hub of my question which I would really love someone to answer me. Many thanks.

Collapse -
That question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 6:16 AM PST

Is put to the maker of the tablet. Anywhere else and it's unofficial. I know the question well and as you suspect, some folk have learned the answer first hand.

Are you ready to learn this first hand?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.