Speakeasy forum

Resolved Question

First time speeding ticket in FL, looking for advice!

by AJC55 / September 14, 2012 1:20 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

To begin, I would like to admit that I was being irresponsible and in no way am I trying to subvert the law nor dodge responsibility for my actions. However my lapse of judgement might literally cost me more than I am currently able to afford!

I was cited for speeding in Escambia County, FL for doing 80mph in a 45 mph zone on a motorcycle. Which I know is a lot but it was late at night and there was no one on the road (except for the copper of course!)

He was very polite when he wrote me the citation(316.189(4)) "Establishment of municipal and county speed zones". He told me I have to appear in court next month. I am a 24 year old male in the military, supporting myself.

What should I expect?

Does anyone have any experience in this matter?

Should I hire a lawyer to fight this?

I can afford a $300 dollar fine but have no idea what to expect in terms of points awarded to my license. Insurance I can assume will sky rocket but again, I don't know by how much.

Thank you for your time and attention!

-AJ

AJC55 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First time speeding ticket in FL, looking for advice!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First time speeding ticket in FL, looking for advice!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by AJC55

Collapse -
You've been bad, pay the fine
by Willy / September 15, 2012 1:25 AM PDT

You admit, so the advice is only for fighting or possibly reducing this. But, really 80 in a 45mph zone, do you think you'll win unless some fancy lawyer trick gets played or whatever. You, of course will face anything afterwards such a s insurance hikes, refusal, fine and points against you. Now, you know better than most. AND!!! don't try to outrun them next time(if it happens) because it will lead to worse, you figure it out. ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Outrun them!
by AJC55 / September 15, 2012 3:01 AM PDT

Hahaha, cmon man! Yes I screwed up in this instance, I already feel terrible about it! I am a law abiding citizen...but hey...everyone screws up once or twice in their lives right?

thanks for the advice everyone!

Collapse -
Heck...
by Willy / September 15, 2012 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Outrun them!

I've read too many times of a biker trying to outdo the law. Yeah, stuff happens and I don't know how you tick but being young once myself, got a ticket or two. Yeah, I'm a better driver now but guess what they're always out there waiting.

Got me for going the wrong way in a one way street. Fought it and won because they were lax in protecting me and others by NOT informing anyone driving of the so-called "conditional 1-way" operation of that street during certain hrs. New to town and saw NOTHING to inform me when all lights were working for 2-way street and no signs and no covering on traffic lights. I was lucky but so were they, because I'm sure would have won insurance costs, etc. and fines against them. Stand your ground if you believe you're right, that's what courts are for among others. Wink -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
I have lived in Bay County Fl. next door
by James Denison / September 14, 2012 1:29 AM PDT

You do not want to go to jail in Escambia county. Double this if you are black. Pay what you can, complete whatever program might help you in court before you appear, do what you can to avoid jail there. Do not piss off the judge.

Collapse -
jail time!
by AJC55 / September 14, 2012 4:45 AM PDT

Jeeze that sounds a little ridiculous! Jail time? The cop himself said I wasn't going to prison or anything, when signing the document. (I know hes not the judge)...Jail time really? My record is impeccable! the ticket doesnt even have careless driving tickmarked on it, just speeding.

If I am seriously looking at jail time then I guess I seriously need to consider legal counsel.

Have you had experience with this kind of stuff?

Collapse -
Don't listen to him
by Josh K / September 14, 2012 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: jail time!

You're not going to jail. I'm not sure what happens if you are unable to pay the fine. Just show up on your court date, dress neatly, be respectful and answer the questions you're asked, enter your plea and they'll direct you to the cashier to pay the fine.

Collapse -
if Florida
by Glenda. / September 14, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: jail time!

is even close to Arizona law anything over 20 miles per hour over the speed limit is a felony! My advice? Put that lead foot on a diet:)

Collapse -
Answer
I don't live in Florida....
by Josh K / September 14, 2012 1:29 AM PDT

.....so I don't know whether they assess points to speeding tickets there. You'd have to check the state DMV.

As for the ticket, you admit you did it and the police officer presumably used a radar or laser gun to clock you, so I don't see any basis for you to fight it. The officer will bring a document to court attesting to the accuracy of the tool he used to clock your speed.

If you are going to plead guilty, you don't need a lawyer.

Sorry it happened (I had a lead foot myself), but you know what they say -- Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Collapse -
Answer
One other thing
by Josh K / September 14, 2012 1:31 AM PDT

Some states offer an option to take a driver safety course in exchange for a reduced fine and (possibly) not causing you to get points on your license. Check with the DMV or the state to see if you have that option.

Collapse -
(NT) Its a Criminal Traffic Violation not civil!
by AJC55 / September 14, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: PS
Collapse -
What makes it a criminal violation?
by JP Bill / September 14, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

In the first link I provided

Pay the Civil Penalty

If you pay the full fine points will be applied against your drivers license when applicable and your auto insurance rates may go up or your policy may be cancelled.

Traffic Fines

Fines vary by County as an Example we have provided the fines for Orange County (The Orlando Area)

MPH Over Limit Traffic School No Traffic School
6 to 9 MPH $76.00 $80.50
10 to 14 MPH $137.50 $155.50
15 to 19 MPH $158.50 $180.50
20 to 29 MPH $178.50 $205.50
30 MPH & Over $260.50 $305.50

You were 35 mph over the limit...

Why is your speeding Criminal and these are Civil?

Collapse -
thanks for the link, I thought it was criminal because...
by AJC55 / September 14, 2012 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: NO....It's NOT

right on the ticket it states "You were charged with a criminal violation which requires your mandatory appearance in court."

Collapse -
It is
by Glenda. / September 14, 2012 11:48 AM PDT

He is from canada, talk to someone that lives in Florida! Like I said, here if it's 20 over it is a felony. Or if you speed in a constructio zone the finnes autumatically double.

Collapse -
RE It is
by JP Bill / September 14, 2012 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: It is

Yes. I do live in Canada, the link I provided is Florida Law...NOT Canadian Law.

YOU tell the person "it is a criminal offense", Then, you tell the person to check with a person from Florida....Are you in Florida?

Just because it's a felony in arizona doesn't mean anything in Florida.

Glenda there is something wrong with your keyboard. Not the electronic one you play church music on...the keyboard for your computer.

Collapse -
I thought your main concern
by JP Bill / September 14, 2012 12:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Since you admit to speeding ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 17, 2012 1:53 PM PDT

and you are in the military your best bet is to show up, plead guilty and offer any excuse (extenuating circumstance) you think might help then pay the fine, court costs and whatever else (some courts require defensive driving classes for some moving violations) and get it behind you. Some courts will waive the fine or part of it if you attent defensive driving which you have to pay the costs of.

Because you are in the military your command can apply other additional punishments if you try to fight it and don't win or they can ask that the venue be changed to their Federal Court that handles on post offenses which can effect your ability to even operate a vehicle on post (or base or station depending on branch of service).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.