Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

First time opening My Computer on Desk Top Freezes for 2 min

by 1patrick / May 19, 2005 7:10 AM PDT

I have a Pentium II Processor, with 68 MB Ram and have McAfee 4.1 installed. Everytime I start my computer and try to open My Computer from the Desktop, the Green light for the floppy drive comes on and my computer freezes for 2 minutes. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First time opening My Computer on Desk Top Freezes for 2 min
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First time opening My Computer on Desk Top Freezes for 2 min
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I remember days like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 7:18 AM PDT

My antivirus was scanning the floppy. With so little RAM, it went virtual (to a stop!)

Try this. First, empty the Recently Used Document. I half expect you to know this since this OS has been out for 7 years now and the same method is used for the 10 year old Windows 95.

Next, if that doesn't help, see if your antivirus can be configured to not scan the diskettes.

One last thing. Is that McAfee current? I thought it was no longer being updated.

Bob

Collapse -
I remember days like that.
by 1patrick / May 20, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

Thanks for your suggestions. I cleared the Documents history but doesn't change anything. I do believe it has to do with the McAfee but I can't find any way to change the config of the auto scan.

Collapse -
ist time
by manicoti / May 19, 2005 10:56 PM PDT

is it always frozen..that is, does it remain frozen or does it unfreeze after two minutes.

if it unfreezes, it is probably the anti virus thing doing its thing

if it does not unfreeze,
if you have a boot disk,preferably a win98 install disk, re-install. if you can customize, do not take in the old anti-virus that comes with the disk.
there are free anti-virus programs around as well as anti spyware

the amount of ram is quite low for win98. you might freeze up even after you run a program or two.
win98 is notorious for losing ram. if you run you programs eventually, try rebooting every once in a while to rejuvinate your ram.
you will find 128 mg of ram will make your win98 do a lot better. i got 128 ram for 20 dollars recently.

Collapse -
1st time
by 1patrick / May 20, 2005 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: ist time

No it comes back to life and works fine afterwards. It was suggested to change the config on McAfee to exclude checking "a" drive but I can't seem to find any way to re config as this is not supported by McAfee any longer. Thanks.

Collapse -
Aha... Time to move on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2005 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: 1st time

With Free AVG being free as well as I suspect that McAfee not to have a current antivirus database it is likely time to move on.

Try it.

Bob

Collapse -
Moved On
by 1patrick / May 23, 2005 9:02 AM PDT

Thanks to the help from all. I have moved on and got rid of Mcafee and now have AVG. Everything works good again. I hope I can help someone someday..

Collapse -
More ram less problems!!
by Earth9111 / June 3, 2005 11:34 PM PDT

If I couldn't get more ram on that computet,I would get rid of it..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.