TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

First Time HDTV buyer

by buhockey / February 2, 2010 10:01 AM PST

After being helped with determining what camera to buy on the forums, I hope I can get some good advice

It's a pretty big purchase and I want to make sure I will not regret it

I have been researching 37" LCD Tvs. I am leaning to the Vizio SV370XVT. From reviews I read, the only major con so far are the blacks are not as crisp as other brands. It is 120hz. I have yet to find a website that has actually reviewed it besides consumers who have bought it.

I really want a Samsung but the 120hz is not in my price range

My main question is how much of a difference is it between 60hz and 120hz? I will be playing my Ps3 on it and mainly watching sports.

Any info on Vizio Tvs would be great. It seems they are a great value but the features do not match up. I also liked an LG model but it seems that the picture quality is not up to par.

Any help would be much help

Thank You

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First Time HDTV buyer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First Time HDTV buyer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My neighbors grabbed one from Costco
by Pepe7 / February 2, 2010 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: First Time HDTV buyer

I find it more than adequate for what you have in mind. 120hz I find not the kicker. The Vizio is certainly not the best PQ that you can get on a LCD, but it's a good value. FWIW, you could get a slightly wider viewing angle and at least the same if not better PQ on a couple of the Panasonic LCDs though, generally in the similar price range. YMMV. What else did you like in the stores?

Collapse -
Other Tvs
by buhockey / February 2, 2010 8:54 PM PST

I saw a Samsung on sale at Best Buy last night that is about 40 bucks over my price range but it is quite nice. It is a 40" 1080p 60 hz LCD. The model # is LN40B530. The TV is regular 859.99 but is on sale for 664.99. In all honesty I could sacrifice the extra money for a better quality TV

I saw some nice LGs but that Samsung looked incredible

Collapse -
by bearvp / February 3, 2010 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: First Time HDTV buyer

Vizio is a very good budget brand to consider. The PQ of a Vizio won't match a Panasonic plasma or a Sony Bravia LCD, but for the price, you can live with not as deep blacks and less menu features. I'm considering buying a ~32" LCD for my bedroom and I will definitely be leaning towards Vizio (bought from Costco).

If you can swing a 40" Samsung/Sony LCD on your budget I'd rather have those than the 37" Vizio though.

Collapse -
Sony good choice?
by simply_bill / February 3, 2010 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio

Before you buy any Sony Product google "Sony" And "Blue Blob". Every single sony wega contained an "optical block" that are part of a series of class action lawsuits. Sony's answer, sorry the one year warranty is up and the repair cost is $1300.

If you got stuck with one of these sets join us on Facebook

I Have A Defective Sony TV

Collapse -
I'm in the HDTV world
by buhockey / February 3, 2010 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Vizio

I really wanted to get the 120hz Samsung but it was a bit out of my price range. So I picked up the 40" 1080p 60hz Samsung tonight.

I get to hook it up tomorrow seeing how my cable company was closed. Also will pick up a tv stand as well

Thanks for all of the input. One last thing. Is it pretty easy to set one of these things up picture wise? I know you can change settings etc.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
by bearvp / February 3, 2010 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: I'm in the HDTV world

For a pretty decent template to set your Samsung up with, find your model number in the forum here called "HDTV picture settings" (look to the left of the screen under the "Electronics forums"). CNET has listed what they recommend for picture settings in a dark room. Since most people don't watch TV in dark rooms, you can just set it to what CNET says and then bump up the brightness till you like how it looks.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.