Speakeasy forum

Rant

First "Jobs" meeting today

by TONI H / November 13, 2012 7:19 AM PST

BO met today with labor officials of various Unions, big business (GE, etc), and MOVEON.ORG but didn't bother having the Chamber of Commerce reps there that actually represent small businesses across the country. Can you explain to me what Moveon.org has to do with jobs and why were they invited to this 'party' and not reps of small businesses?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First "Jobs" meeting today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First "Jobs" meeting today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:BO met today with big business (GE, etc)
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 11:39 AM PST

NO...He didn't...He will tomorrow.

Obama meets Wednesday with a dozen CEOs from companies such as General Electric, Walmart, Ford and Chevron. Some of the participants are involved with The Campaign to Fix the Debt, which has pushed for a long-term plan to fix the nation's debt and deficits.

but didn't bother having the Chamber of Commerce reps

He didn't meet with them YET?

Do you just pull this stuff out of thin air?

Collapse -
That's why Obama is a divider
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2012 5:46 PM PST

He chooses up the good guy and bad guy sides and deals with them separately. He should try to get them all in the same room if he wants to show unity...and he should not invite moveon. They've got nothing to do with business and the economy. They're just his chums who he owes a favor.

Collapse -
RE: deals with them separately.
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 7:23 PM PST

He wants to hear what the different groups want to say to HIM...NOT what they want to say to each other.

Collapse -
Fine but why moveon?
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2012 7:45 PM PST

They've done nothing productive for labor or industry. They are a lobbying organization of some sort. I've just not figured out what "sort" they are. They don't promote anything. They try to demote it. They are also dividers. Have you not noticed Obama's MO? It's difficult to miss by anyone who's actually watching or listening. Maybe you approve anyway.

Collapse -
RE: They try to demote it. They are also dividers.
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 8:34 PM PST
In reply to: Fine but why moveon?

IF they passed you a petition, you'd sign it.

Collapse -
Any comments relevant to moveon being a legitimate
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2012 9:48 PM PST

collaborative partner here? Do you have any recollection of Obama's first campaign and his suggesting that lobbyists and special interests would NOT be part of or an influence on his administrations? He wasn't going to take their money? Did you see this?

Obama breaks promise to not take money from lobbyists

What we have in the White House now is the proverbial "False Knight upon the Road", IMO. He's not an honest man but he does have a strong following...at least 47%, or so I've heard.

Collapse -
RE: "legitimate" is in the eyes of the beholder
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 10:19 PM PST

...I doubt there is anything anyone can say that would make you admit they have "skin in the game".

I'll just say from what I can find THEY claim to represent over 3 million people.

It's HIS party he'll invite who he wants.

Collapse -
If that's true, then...
by James Denison / November 13, 2012 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Fine but why moveon?

...why on earth would Obama combine them all in a single meeting?

Collapse -
I must agree with JP on this one
by James Denison / November 13, 2012 11:00 PM PST

I'd probably meet with them separately too. At least at first, there could be a third meeting of all together, but not sure it would accomplish anything leading to mutual understanding. When things are so polarized, maybe best to meet with each side separately.

Collapse -
I guess you didn't see
by TONI H / November 13, 2012 6:43 PM PST

the Rose Garden display of big labor leaders..........

BO's Press Conference is today......

Collapse -
AND I also didn't see CEO'S big business (GE, etc)
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 7:21 PM PST
In reply to: I guess you didn't see

and neither did you.....

THEY meet today...(Wednesday)

Civic leaders meet on Friday...keep your eyes and ears open...you may see the Chamber Of Commerce at THAT meeting.

Collapse -
Good grief
by TONI H / November 13, 2012 7:59 PM PST
Collapse -
DON'T "GOOD GRIEF" ME!!!!!
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Good grief

Yesterday...TUESDAY..... YOU SAID

First "Jobs" meeting today BO met today with labor officials of various Unions, big business (GE, etc), and MOVEON.ORG but didn't bother having the Chamber of Commerce reps there that actually represent small businesses across the country. Can you explain to me what Moveon.org has to do with jobs and why were they invited to this 'party' and not reps of small businesses?

Collapse -
RE: If you don't believe in 'progressive' crap, you're out
by JP Bill / November 13, 2012 8:22 PM PST

Them's the breaks....

He's been listening to it for months from Romney...now that he's won...he's not going to invite them into his parlour to listen to them cry.

no banks are invited and no business leaders who opposed BO's policies are invited either.

A White House spokesman declined to comment; people with knowledge of the matter say other names may be added before Wednesday's meeting.

People with knowledge of the matter?...NOT you?

Collapse -
Neither of your links mentions MoveOn.....
by Josh K / November 13, 2012 10:55 PM PST

.....and you apparently conflated two separate meetings (one of which hasn't taken place yet) into one.

Collapse -
MoveOn was apparently at the first meeting
by Josh K / November 13, 2012 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: here

NOT the business/labor meeting that is taking place today.

Collapse -
It's not MY Chamber of Commerce
by TONI H / November 14, 2012 12:52 AM PST

It's the USA's representative for the entire business community and as such should have recognition as an important entity and a voice as it has been in the past.

http://www.uschamber.com/

The following link to to one of Louisiana's CofC offices/branches, but it gives a good description of what the CoC all over the country is there for and how it helps communities. None of the branches receives government funding at any level.

http://houmachamber.com/chamber/What-is-a-Chamber-of-Commerce

Collapse -
I'm curious
by James Denison / November 14, 2012 1:28 AM PST

If they let Unions be in talks through Chamber of Commerce and businesses, are those same businesses invited to talks when the Department of Labor is having meetings with Union members? Is there an equality of treatment or not?

Collapse -
North of the bborder
by JP Bill / November 14, 2012 2:14 AM PST
for the entire business community and as such should have recognition as an important entity and a voice as it has been in the past.

Chamber of Commerce....Board Of Trade......Civic Government ALL linked together. a lot of people that are Civic Officials..are also members of The Chamber Of Commerce.

Obama could have everyone on the planet in a meeting, you would want the Man In The Moon to be there.
Collapse -
What does moveon have to do with the price of fish?
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2012 5:42 PM PST

They should have passed into irrelevance by now. As I understand it, they were formed to block the impeachment proceedings against Clinton. Hence, "move on". I'd really like to see Obama distance himself from the extremist sides of his party in the way Romney either tried to do or was accused of doing.

Collapse -
OH, oh, I know teacher...
by James Denison / November 14, 2012 1:29 AM PST

two things that smell fishy???

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.