PC Hardware

General discussion

First gaming PC need help please!

by thejanitormafia / June 21, 2009 1:19 PM PDT

Within a month I plan to purchase a customized gaming PC either from cyberpowerinc.com or a local computer shop. Since I primarily am a console gamer, I was wondering what specs I should be looking at so that games on my computer will look better than it does on gaming consoles. I'm planning to spend $800 on this excluding an OS and a monitor. I plan to play on 1680x1050 resolution.

I generally would want games to play at high settings at maybe 50-60fps average.

Any help would be appreciated. If this is not possible on an $800 budget, feel free to post the cheapest build possible.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: First gaming PC need help please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: First gaming PC need help please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
decent gamer
by ramarc / June 22, 2009 6:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
new system build
by maddgamer / June 26, 2009 11:18 AM PDT

I have been using computers sense 82 and have bought them on line and had them built. If you find a local shop that is good I would recommend you have one built for you there.
The best reason I can think of is a closed system vs. an open system.
This means you buy the system from an online company you have to use them and most likely there products. When you have problems the quality you get is not always the best.
By investing in a local shop you can have a system that can be upgraded as needed and will not become obsolete. You will also have a chance to buy real parts not OEM stuff. You will get more bang for your buck and service is right there when you need it. A good tech will help you choose the right parts and not sell you a bunch of stuff you do not need. To play games you do not need the latest greatest and fastest system. After a certain point FPS speed is not important. It is better to invest in a system that can do several things well than to try to build a system to do everything. That is why a good local shop is the best place. I am sure others will not agree but in the end the choice is yours...choose wisely.

madgamer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.