Computer Help forum

General discussion

Firefox Won't Open But is Running

by Michi702 / December 24, 2006 12:17 AM PST

Ok, I've tried rebooting my computer already and uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox, but nothing works! When I try to uninstall or re install, I am prompted to close firefox but none of the windows appear! When I look at the processes running on my computer, it lists firfox.exe but still no browser window appears. I don't know what to do and am very frustrated. I have never had this problem before.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition and have a Compaq laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox Won't Open But is Running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox Won't Open But is Running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FF issue
by tomron / December 24, 2006 12:27 AM PST

In processes>end Process.reboot

Also there is some possbile solutions in this LINK

Tom

Collapse -
No need to reboot
by drat_ninny / December 24, 2006 1:06 AM PST

Just end the Firefox process in task manager and start it again. If this happens more than once every couple of months, then you might want to investigate the possibility of there being something else wrong with your system. Anything from bad RAM to a malware problem from previous IE use.

You might also want to look at any Firefox extensions you have installed. Have Firefox check for updates, and install any it finds. It also may be a good idea to hit the MozillaZine forums, and see if there are any known conflicts between extensions you may have installed. While rare, they do exist, and can be annoying.

In a sort of worst case scenario, you can always create a fresh profile. It's also rare, but if you've been using the same Firefox profile for several major versions, it's possible for corruption to occur. Especially if you used a pre-1.0 version to create the initial profile.

Finally, since you say it's a Compaq, which is among the bottom of the barrel quality wise (especially laptops), don't rule out any bundled software. Given HP's recent penchant for spying on reporters, I wouldn't put it past them having bundled software that contains some kind of malware. I would also keep in mind for the future to avoid HP/Compaq laptops, no matter how good a price they offer. If you have two similar devices, and one is significantly less than the other without any kind of rebate or other gimmick in place, that reduced price will almost certainly come at the cost of quality. This holds true for laptops, stereos, desktop computers, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, you name it. When it comes time to replace that laptop, I'd recommend limiting the search to Apple, IBM/Lenovo, and Dell which is in order of quality and price, high to low.

Collapse -
Correction
by phynex12 / January 23, 2008 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: No need to reboot

If you're basing off of quality, then its IBM=>Dell=>Apple

But to be frank I wouldn't get any of those three either. If you want something worth while in a laptop get an ACER and I build my own PCs so all I know about name brands for them are the ones I have to constantly fix at my IT place which are Dells and Apples. Apple you especially want to stay away from due to their uncanny ability to crash for no reason without report and the high risk of permanent system failure. Not to mention you can never upgrade a mac, you rather have to buy an entirely new one.

Collapse -
What are you talking about?
by Jimmy Greystone / January 23, 2008 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Correction

What are you talking about? Seriously? I've seen Apple systems take phenomenal levels of abuse and continue working quite well given the circumstances. This was all with the old Mac OS too which was much more error prone than it's successor Mac OS X. They've had a few manufacturing issues with the switch to Intel processors, but those seem to have been ironed out by now, so all you get is the odd defective unit out of every couple thousand made that you get in any large scale manufacturing process.

And as for upgrades, again what are you talking about? The Mac Mini and iMac may not be the easiest things to upgrade, but you can do it. The older PowerMacs and newer Mac Pros are quite upgradable, and the laptop lines are as upgradable as any other laptop on the market.

So I have to wonder just what it is you're talking about. At a previous job of mine that was a mix of mostly Dell and Apple systems, it was a rare event I had to do anything to the Apple systems. Mostly it was just installing more RAM, updating some program, or physically moving them. Nothing ever happened with the Macs, but we did have a few Dells that were part of the batch with the bad capacitors, not that it means all Dells are bad. Most of those were pretty well behaved too... Most.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.