Computer Help forum

General discussion

firefox won't load!

by fongi / December 26, 2006 11:09 AM PST

for some unknown reason, firefox won't load when i booted up my laptop today. it seems to be running in the background, but the web browsing window does not show up. i don't know if it's just taking extra long to load, but i waited quite a while and it still wasn't doing anything. it checked task manager and firefox didn't show up in the applications tab, but it was in the processes tab. i tried restarting, and the same problem occurs. i tried a cold boot, and no dice. finally, downloaded firefox 2.0 (i was running firefox 1.5) and installed it in the hopes that it will fix the problem. now it seems the problem has been compounded because my machine saw two installations of firefox in my "add/remove programs" list in the control panel. i uninstalled firefox 1.5 (at this point a pop-up window showed up saying i have to shut down firefox before uninstall can continue, but there was on firefox window anywhere in sight). i rebooted, and still firefox 2.0 was on my laptop. i tried to uninstalled firefox 2.0 as well, but somehow the uninstaller doesn't run!!! HELP!!! i am now suffering from a splitting headache trying to fix this problem. i never had any problem with firefox before.

the last time i was able to run firefox was yesterday morning. nothing fishy then. in the evening, i resumed my computer - it was on sleep/hibernate mode - and it so happened that my network was down. firefox ran, but the pages can't be loaded. so i shut down my computer, and called it a day. then today the problems showed up.

i also restored my system to a restore point made two days ago, and that didn't solve the problem, either. i still have a firefox icon on my desktop, although firefox is no longer on my "add/remove programs" list in control panel. firefox is still on my program files, though.

somewhere in between i also tried running firefox in safe mode, but still nothing happened.

now all i really want is to weed out everything related to firefox in my computer, so that it won't experience any software conflicts or what not when i install firefox 2.0 (again!) i pretty much gave up the hope of retrieving all my bookmarks and cookies since i uninstalled firefox 1.5 (twice) already.

i am running windows xp home on my thinkpad t43.

please save my computer!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: firefox won't load!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: firefox won't load!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a corrupted profile...
by John.Wilkinson / December 26, 2006 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: firefox won't load!

Firefox stores all of your bookmarks and preferences as well as its settings in the Firefox Profile, which is not deleted when you upgrade or uninstall Firefox and is not linked to System restore. That's why your attempts have not been fruitful. Click here and follow the steps to repairing Firefox. When you get to the step concerning backing up your bookmarks you can also copy cookies.txt, key3.db, and signons.txt if you wish to backup your saved usernames, passwords, and sessions.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
thanks!
by fongi / December 26, 2006 5:44 PM PST

actually, i reinstalled firefox 1.5 instead, and it seems to have worked. no more bugs, and my old bookmarks and cookies seem to be ok. but i'll keep your instructions in mind the next time a similar problem comes along. i was wondering earlier how to import my bookmarks into i.explorer - now i know where the files are! thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.