Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox will not load--

by Cletus29 / October 5, 2006 8:26 AM PDT

I have been running Firefox for several months with no problems on this win98SE, but suddenly the program will not load. The error msg is ?FIREFOX caused an invalid page fault in module JAR50.DLL at 0167:6001134d.? This dll is part of the Firefox program.

I decided to remove Firefox and reinstall, but I cannot remove the program from Add/delete in control panel or by using the uninstall file in Firefox. Tried Ad/Remove Pro also with no luck.

I have run out of ideas---can anyone help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox will not load--
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox will not load--
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Manual deletion...
by John.Wilkinson / October 5, 2006 8:34 AM PDT

I would go to C:\Program Files and delete the Mozilla/Firefox folder then download a fresh copy of Firefox and install it. All of your bookmarks, settings, and extensions are stored separately and will remain intact, so this will simply address the corrupted file(s).

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
I considered this approach, but---
by Cletus29 / October 5, 2006 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Manual deletion...

was afraid I would foul up the registry. Do you think it it would be safe to do?

Collapse -
It's safe...
by John.Wilkinson / October 5, 2006 10:41 AM PDT

Deleting those files won't affect the registry in any way, nor will it result in other problems with your system. Once you reinstall Firefox everything should be as it was before, less the crippling error.

Collapse -
Your solution worked but---
by Cletus29 / October 5, 2006 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: It's safe...

After about an hour, the same failure occurred and firefox would not load again. Strange---

I will continued to troubleshoot.

Many thanks for your help---I learned something.

Collapse -
Next stop...
by John.Wilkinson / October 5, 2006 10:40 PM PDT

The next stop on this route would be to delete the Firefox folder again and reinstall followed by launching Firefox (Safe Mode) from the folder Firefox created in the Start Menu. That disables all installed extensions and themes and will help determine if one of them is the source of the corruption.

If the problem still continues after that then you'll need to continue to the end of the line, where it is suggested that you repair Firefox, deleting your Firefox profile and starting clean. Unless the corruption is being caused by some outside force this will resolve it.

All aboard! Happy

Collapse -
I had same problem!
by shaner7575 / October 6, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

I have windows 98SE and had the same error message.
My son has windows xp, and firefox wouldn't load at all, until I used safe mode. I noticed that after updating customize google is when the problem started, so that's the first extension I uninstalled in my son's computer. Now everything is fine, since I'm using firefox right now.
I'm going to start up my old standby, and uninstall the customize google and see what happens.
Just wondered in here and noticed this thread, so thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.
Hope you have it fixed by now!!

Collapse -
Not fixed yet----
by Cletus29 / October 6, 2006 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I had same problem!

but I will have another try at it using the new suggestions.

I will report back my success---or failure.

Many thanks--

Collapse -
Firefox is up and running again---
by Cletus29 / October 7, 2006 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Not fixed yet----

Reinstalling and then booting to safe mode and starting the program there, with with none of the options checked, did the trick.

Many thanks---I would never have thought of that procedure.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.