Mac OS forum

General discussion

Firefox vs Safari

by ET4Ads / November 18, 2004 10:55 PM PST

Since the question arising on Firefox is open, I was wondering what differences anyone has seen between it, and Safari. I have been using Safari with but a few problems for some time. Is there an opinion as to which is better, it at all? I am using it with OS 10.3.6 on two G4's, a Titanium laptop, and a 1.25 dual processor, both with plenty of RAM. There is, however, one specific question. Some sites I can access fully with the laptop, but not with the desktop, even though they are virtually the same hardware & software.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox vs Safari
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox vs Safari
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Firefox vs Safari
by ratz / November 19, 2004 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox vs Safari

I really have not seen anything that jumps out and says that you should be using one over the other. Firefox does have an expandable sidebar for bookmarks or history that I kind of like. There are also alot of extensions that you can get for firefox but overall I guess I like them both. I would just try using Firefox for long enough to get use to its features if I were you. If you do that then you can form your own opinion based on your individual taste.

Later

Collapse -
Firefox vs Safari
by johnlh / April 6, 2010 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Firefox vs Safari

I keep them both on my computers (Intel PowerBook & G5 Desktop). In checking the speed of both they are so close it does not make much difference. It seems Firefox has more goodies and updates more often. On a rare occasion I will find a site that will not work with one browser but will with another. Unless you are short on space why not keep them both. It is easy enough to sync the bookmarks. Actually I have Omniweb also. They are all free. What ever makes you the most happy.

Collapse -
by eaglepc / November 19, 2004 7:20 AM PST

I own a PowerMac G5 Single 1.8 Ghz machine. I absolutely love Safari, after having used IE on PC's for over 15 years. I have a glitch however when I log on to my Bank and do my online banking. The Bank site will boot me off after attempting to say, transfer funds, or bill payer, or whatever. I then have to log back on and complete the transaction, or start again. That usually happens once when I logon in any particular timeframe of a few minutes. Since downloading Firefox and using it the last couple days, It has loaded pages faster, without any glitches at all, including the bank site.

Collapse -
by nliebman / November 19, 2004 11:53 AM PST

I like the look and feel of Safari better, and it seems to load faster, but I still use Firefox almost exclusively now. Mainly because a few of the sites I need don't work with Safari, like Outlook Web Access for work email and Gmail (yes I know Gmail now supports Safari, but only with the OS 10.3 version, and I'm still on 10.2.8).

Collapse -
by JoshHendo / November 20, 2004 5:41 PM PST

As th old saying goes (actually, it isn't that old) "FireFox all the way", or "FireFox: The browser you can trust" Happy I use firefox myself.

Collapse -
by zooey91 / November 21, 2004 4:33 AM PST

Is there a way to import Safari bookmarks into Firefox? I only see IE bookmarks.

If not, does Camino allow importing from Safari?

Jim

Collapse -
by rickdesigndad / December 11, 2004 2:09 PM PST

Hello! I have two points to address: First - I use Camino (from the makers of Firefox - a browser made just for Macintosh) and bookmarks can easily be imported in to Camino by selecting File/Import Bookmarks. You'll have the option of importing Safari, Netscape, Internet Explorer or Other Browser Bookmarks. Firefox is not quite as flexible - you'll have to choose File/Import. You'll be presented with a window to "Import Preferences, Bookmarks, History, Passwords and other data from:" and the choice to import from Netscape 6,7 or Mozilla 1.x or Opera.

Secondly, I also had a banking issue while using Safari. While doing my bill pay, the dollar amounts whould show incorrectly and the dates were wildly incorrect (like 1902!;-) ) When I called the bank to report the problem, they were immediatley aware of it and said they had worked at length to correct it, but were unable. So there seems to be some weird banking security thing going on with Safari - hopefully Apple will fix it to get Safari up and running because it really is a great browser.

Collapse -
Firefox vs Safari
by retro84 / January 22, 2005 5:39 PM PST

I was a fan of the Safari browser. However my experience of the product has been somewhat soured after I installed the 10.3.7 update. Problem have occurred across my candy coloured DV iMac, G4 Cube and iBook G3 (800combo).

Problem seems to be that in a while (a very short one!) Safari loads the Apple pages (and some others) fine then for no apparent reason I find pages can no longer be loaded unless I do the following.

I have cleared the cache, reset safari, removed cookies, and cleared the Java caches.

Immediately after these remedies normal functionality is resored only to find later the fault reoccurs.

The problem is worse with my iMac which whilst only a 400Mhz G3 worked fine prior to the 10.3.7 update. Computer freezes also occur with Safari.

As for Firefox well it works but it is nowhere as fast as some claim it to be.

As a last resort I reinstalled my Netscape 7.1 and here are my results.

I access the BBC News wesite a lot and I notice that it always was loading slow on IE and Safari. However this is not the case with Netscape 7.1 (see tests below)

BBC News site load times test (at http://news.bbc.co.uk/ )

Safari 40 seconds

Netscape 7.1 6 seconds

Come on Apple you say Safari is the fastest browser - all I can say is "No Way"

A onetime "Safari" fan Sad

Collapse -
BBC and Safari
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 12:00 AM PST

I just tried that link and it loaded, using Safari, in under 3 seconds. Interestingly enough, this site is one of my regulars for news and I have not noticed any problems with it and Safari. (Apart from the DNS problem introduced at one Security Update and then fixed in another)
BBC and Safari worked fine from Lousiana @ 4pm GMT

P

Collapse -
BBC and Safari
by retro84 / January 23, 2005 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: BBC and Safari

Be interested in your settings.

Just retested it on my G4 800 Mhz (2Mb cache) and 1.5GB Cube and Safari is still slow - a lot slower than Netscape and certainly nowhere near the 3 sec mark (not if you wait for all the page images to load).

I use 10.3.7 and Safari 1.2.4 and I access the internet using 512 Broadband.

Collapse -
just seen this
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 22, 2005 7:07 AM PST

Sorry I have not replied sooner, I've just seen your request.
I went back and did a couple of runs at the BBC site and the results are basically the same. 3 seconds for the first run and around the same, if not a tad faster for the next two.
I have a G4 @ 800Mhz, 1.25GB RAM and a cable connection.

P

Collapse -
Speed Tests are waste of time
by nelioskerblooser / January 4, 2007 6:51 AM PST

As you mentioned you visit this page all of the time. In order to get accurate comparisons you would need to clear your cache each time prior to testing.

Collapse -
(NT) 2 years late and hardly topical anymore
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 7:08 AM PST
Collapse -
FireFoc and Safari
by freighterman_1999 / January 8, 2007 10:04 AM PST

Hmmm,just went to the BBC link for the first time using Firefox (with Google accelerator) running XP on a boot camped Intel Mac. Load time was so fast it was instantaneous. Connection made from west coast.

Can't load my banking page with either browser and have to revert to IE7 for for pages to display. Bank tells me their system is optimized for Windows users as that is predominant browser. What is really strange is that my favorite local radio station requires that I log on as a Mac user even though I'm running XP on a boot camped machine.
Firefox runs just as well in OS X, but without a printer driver for my Lexmark printer I gotta use XP to print monthly statement and make payments.

Collapse -
Safari Security
by borafina / June 23, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

To be honest, I think what the person on the telephone told you about Safari security (or lack of it) was full of ka-ka. I bank with RBC, an internationally-recognized and accredited bank -- no issues with online banking whatsoever. Often times, websites are not standards-compliant (Safari is a standards-compliant browser).

Collapse -
No Longer a Firefox Fan
by roby22 / August 5, 2005 1:08 AM PDT

I have used Firefox for some time now and really loved it. Unfortunately, they did something to the way one can create and file bookmarks where you can't file them as you want any longer. I like the flexibility Safari has with bookmarks and have returned home.

Collapse -
What was it
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 5, 2005 4:39 AM PDT

that they did to the Bookmarks that annoyed you so??

P

Collapse -
lost safari browser
by duckeydo12 / February 15, 2010 4:57 AM PST

I have a iMac 10OS and my safari browser has disappeared. How do I retreive it? My mac is a 10.4.2

Collapse -
That would depend on where you last saw it.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: lost safari browser

Has it disappeared from the Dock or from the Applications folder?

If the answer is the dock, then go to the Applications folder, find Safari and drag it into the dock.

It the answer is the Applications folder, you may have moved it someplace. Try a search with Spotlight.

You might want to update that iMac to OS X 10.4.11

P

Collapse -
Firefox vs. Safari
by jshepard / December 17, 2004 1:59 AM PST

I started using Firefox about two weeks ago, after Safari started repeatedly crashing on me. Firefox seems to load faster (G-4 desktop, OS 10.3.7), and no more crashing browser.

The only thing I DON'T like is that the scrollbar on the right has no arrows, and you have to guess where the up/down arrows are...I looked in preferences to try to fix that, but can't find a place to change it. Anybody else know of one?

Collapse -
Scrolling arrows
by petit / December 17, 2004 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox vs. Safari

Hi jshepard!

Your missing arrows on the scrollbar must be a pain.
However, aside from dragging the scoller itself it should be possible to klick anywhere on the scrollbar to move the content. Now, this is not a good solution of course.
I think the Mozilla people should correct this flaw in the Mac version.
In the Windows version I use the arrows are where they should be in both the vertical and the horizontal scoll bar.

Collapse -
Firefox Scrolling Arrows
by Paulie / December 18, 2004 2:07 AM PST

I haven't heard of a crashing problem with Safari or the no scrolling arrows problem with Firefox and I subscribe to a list of power users.

I think you should repair permissions (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility/select the volume that your browser is installed on) then reinstall Safari and Firefox.

Collapse -
Lost scroll button
by webrand / February 22, 2005 4:56 AM PST

I lost my scroll down button. Why? How can I fix it other than trashing the program and starting over?

Collapse -
Missing Arrows
by rickdesigndad / December 18, 2004 9:55 AM PST

Have you changed your Firefox theme? I did and when I did I lost my arrows. You might try resetting your Firefox browser theme back to the default theme and your arrows should come back. I think many of the themes were designed for Windows and don't quite jive with the MacOS. Good luck and happy browsing!

Collapse -
Scroll Bar Issue
by Stevorino / July 20, 2005 10:02 AM PDT

Hi, I've just started using Firefox as of yesterday. For some reason Safari had seemed very slow and sluggish for me. I'm using Tiger with a mac mini. Explorer loaded much quicker, but I hate the program. This seemed like the best alternative and when I was speaking to one of the techs for verizon and some banking sites this was mentioned so I figured I'd give it a try.

I loaded some skins and some skins showed the scroll arrow and some didn't. Go in and look under tools and themes and load some new ones in. I'm using Moia 2.0 (extreme) and it works perfectly.

And by the way, this is so far more compatible and faster than Safari. I still evaluating though.

Good luck.

Collapse -
main differences
by msimplay / December 17, 2004 4:10 AM PST

hmm main differences are that Safari uses Khtml for its backend html and firefox uses Gecko

Gecko is more developed than khtml at the moment but Safari is more intergrated into the MACOSX system

Collapse -
Differences
by denke / January 4, 2005 1:51 PM PST
In reply to: main differences

Yes.
The two biggest UI differences I see:
- For my browsing style, I find the Firefox sidebar a better place for bookmarks than Safari's putting them a separate tab.
- Firefox has a plugin called Adblock, which blocks ads!

Collapse -
Firefox vs. Safari - my take
by gecko85 / December 17, 2004 5:28 AM PST

I use Firefox almost exclusively, although I do like Safari, and only use Safari when testing web pages. My reason for this is simple: I use both Mac's and Windows machines on a regular basis, and I like having the same browser regardless of which OS I'm currently using. I have the same extensions installed, as well.

Speaking of extensions, there's another reason I prefer the 'Fox. I can't live without the Web Developer Toolbar, GmailIT, TinyURL Creator, etc...

Collapse -
Firefox vs. Safari
by chipperz / January 28, 2005 3:48 PM PST

I have been using Firefox for over a month now and I am very happy with it. I haven't noted any major differences between it and Safari, although Firefox seems to load a lot faster.

Collapse -
Firefox vs. Safari
by earthgrrl / March 6, 2005 12:01 AM PST

I was a huge FF fan for over a year...until I downloaded the latest, more "secure" version, 1.0.1. What a disaster. First, I lost all my bookmarks, then my themes got messed up, rendering web pages completely unreadable. I've been thinkering with it for over 24 hours now, and have decided to just go back to Safari. My main problem (and if I could get this to work, I would stay with FF), is that I used to be able to set FF as my default brower (through the preferences in Safarai). Now, when I click on a link in an email, for example, I get an error message that says there is no associated application. THAT is a huge stumbling block for me. If I open FF first, I have no problem, but it will not open FF for me the firt time. If anyone else has had this problem, and knows how to fix it, please let me know!

I'm keeping an eye on Camino, but it's just too early in development to use it as my everyday browser.

There are a couple of sites that I can't access in Safari (that have to do with security certifications), and I'll use FF for those, but I'm going to have to dump it as my main browser.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.